I Suspect It's Been Discussed Before But Why Can't We Track Bf With Dogs?

Guest Scout1959

Guest LarryP

Hell, it was '72, just five years after the PGF.  I was twelve,had never heard the term Bigfoot, and had no clue the **** things existed or what they were.

I was just kidding you, JDL.

Depends on the dog.  I've witnessed three dogs pursuing a bigfoot and bringing it temporarily to bay.  Scariest moment of my life.

Have you used dogs since then?

Edited by roguefooter

All the dogs I've trained have been deer and rabbit dogs, most are scent dogs, dogs smell like we see.

The way we did it was we always put young dogs with older dogs and would "run" them for numerous short distances.

I was often the "driver" being the youngest and I honestly enjoyed working with the dogs more than the hunting....the driver gets the dogs on a scent or track.

He makes a noise almost always a whopping like noise sometimes followed be his/her unique signature.

The dogs will at first follow into the woods, the mature dogs will "get on it" and the younger would follow....pack behavior.

Some deer dogs became rabbit dogs. You could tell based on the movement...running in circles in the same area....that dog became a rabbit dog, got a new home or got culled.

It takes a tremendous amount of time to train a dog to track anything but one thing you need is a source for that scent or object you want them to track.....so you kinda see where I'm going with this.

Can a group of dogs just spontaneously start chasing an unknown just for the heck of it, sure it could happen...maybe a feral pack that hunts for food sure.

But a working dog that's been trained to hunt something specific....I've seen bird dogs chase a deer for 20-30 yards and get recalled, same with rabbit dogs chasing deer and deer dogs chasing rabbits but this behavior is highly discourage early in their training.

Having worked with dogs all over the state of Va. I've never had a trained pack chase anything for any appreciable distance that it wasn't trained to pursue.

Now I have seen many dogs that were in training do this and they didn't get to come home :(

I have relatives on the other side of the state where you live Cerv, they would feed the pup deer meat to get it to chase deer. Seems to have worked for them.

I think dogs cold track and corner/tree a BF. At least long enough for the gun to catch up, maybe squeeze off a shot.

Edited by will

No, feral dogs cornered a bigfoot outside my window one night.

If you knew dogs worked, why wouldn't you use them? Nothing says they have to be feral.

Edited by roguefooter

Guest LarryP

If you knew dogs worked, why wouldn't you use them? Nothing says they have to be feral.

Apparently you have no experience with wild dogs.

Because if you did,  you would know better than to make that statement.

Guest keninsc

I've read accounts of people trying to track a Bigfoot with dogs and I have heard all manner of things reported happening, some of which I found a bit hard to believe. I recall one account said a lady had seen what she described as a dogman bigfoot and some male friends of hers went out to where she'd seen the creature and they attempted to put tracking dogs on the scent as there were tracks found. According to the report the dogs sniffed the print and refused to track it and supposedly cowered back at the truck with the dog box on it. No amount of trying to force them to track it would get them to even try. 

Yet another account told of some guys trying to track a Bigfoot with dogs but after they traveled some ten or so miles the dogs and the men were played out then had to return empty handed. No cowering by the dogs just exhaustion. Then in yet another report, a police K-9 unit tracked "Something" in response to a 911 call for a couple miles and actually got close enough to hear the sound of something trying to get away however they couldn't locate it in the dark.....but they had dogs....  :hunter:....and guns.

I can't speak as an authority on tracking dogs but dogs track things almost instinctively, even bears and mountain lions aren't safe from them, not to mention wild boars. So, I have to question some of the things reported when it comes to dogs, but I see no real reason for them not to track a Bigfoot. I've hunted with friend who have dogs and once they're put on a scent they sort of lock onto it like a missile. I recall the "Finding Bigfoot" guy were using dogs down in Texas and the dogs had something cornered in a pine thicket........and they simply left saying the dogs couldn't track it any further due to rain. But they had it cornered supposedly.

So there are some odd tales about using dogs to track a Bigfoot, at least they seemed odd to me. 

I can't add anything to the tracking conversation, I've hunted with hounds on deer, rabbit and squirrel, I would imagine they would track whatever scent they were on, at least until they got scared. My own personal lab fought a coyote off here at the house in front of me, I had my gun but was afraid to shoot because they were so close together and moving so fast. but she won that battle and the coyote left bleeding and crying. But I have watched my dog in the front yard also very quietly slink back behind the closest bush and wait dead still as three large coyotes trotted across the front yard. She was smart enough or had instinct to know when and how to choose her battles I think. I have read but can't find now a report of an retired gentleman walking through his hardwood forest with his dog, retriever I think, who scented, heard, or saw something which it chased over the hill. When he caught up to the baying and growling, he said his dog was thrown back at him like a baseball by a nine foot hairy thing on two feet, and he didn't shoot either out of surprise, fear or whatever. My Lab acted very strangely during our shared audio hallucination. She wouldn't go past our porch, then she would come back and sit in front of my feet and make low whining noises.

Edited by people booger

Guest keninsc

There's a huge difference in fighting one and fighting three. Glad she was smart enough to know that.

I would add that it seems most Bigfoots seem to always travel or what ever in groups or pods as some call them. If you go after one odds are you have to take them all on. Remind me to be wearing my industrial strength Depends.

Edited by keninsc

Admin

I would think it would be safe to say that if a dog pressed it's luck by chasing a Bigfoot, it's time on earth would be short lived. I have read so many witness reports where these guys "Super Dogs" were ruined for life after an encounter with a Squatch.

Guest keninsc

I'd have no trouble believing that, no matter how big and strong the DPG is a Bigfoot could take him. And if there are multiple Bigfoots then the dog could wind up as dinner.

Apparently you have no experience with wild dogs.

Because if you did,  you would know better than to make that statement.

What are you going on about now Larry?

According to his experience, dogs are capable of pursuing a Sasquatch and keeping them at bay. What he saw were feral dogs, but nothing says that feral dogs are required for the job. The bottom line is that dogs could work with hunting them down.

Nobody said anything about working with wild dogs.

Edited by roguefooter