Let's Narrow Down The "other" Possibilities For Snow Field Trackways

Guest Crowlogic

Guest Crowlogic

Track lines in snow fields are fascinating in that many sure seem to look like a big biped made them.  So that said can we list the possible makers of biped looking tracklines and what they can look like?  The super remote biped looking tracklines are either Sasquatch or something that makes it's way on all fours but looks like it's on two.

It's the LACK of trackways in snow that make me wonder.  Anything that has to make a living in snow country leaves a lot of tracks.

t.

Terry -

True.  I'm baffled.  

On one hand, I'm convinced that some of the trackways are beyond hoax, too many tracks across too many miles with no screwups to give away the hoaxer, no  mis-steps to show whose tracks we're misattributing to bigfoot.

On the other hand, there should be trackways in places there just aren't.  

It'll probably make sense in hindsight, things usually do when I realized I was overlooking something critical, but for now, I'm scratchin' my head and mumbling to myself.   It bugs me.

MIB

Terry -

True.  I'm baffled.  

On one hand, I'm convinced that some of the trackways are beyond hoax, too many tracks across too many miles with no screwups to give away the hoaxer, no  mis-steps to show whose tracks we're misattributing to bigfoot.

On the other hand, there should be trackways in places there just aren't.  

It'll probably make sense in hindsight, things usually do when I realized I was overlooking something critical, but for now, I'm scratchin' my head and mumbling to myself.   It bugs me.

MIB

Snow, mud or forest duff; if the track is long, wide, flat and the makers stride is 10 feet or so; it was very likely left by a BF. :-)

In my experience and speaking for the states I've lived & hunted in, the only animal out & about in the deep snows of winter that could leave tracks large enough with a stride remotely long enough to be a candidate for Bf track way misidentification would be moose.  That being said, moose tracks & track ways are distinctive in their own right.  Someone who knows them are not going to mistake them for BF tracks & track ways.

If the track way is in mud or soft soil, I think it is even more unlikely that moose sign would be mistaken for booger sign...

Guest Cervelo

Its my belief that all one needs to do is some calculations related to stride lenght and you'll find that most of your snow track makers would be giants even by BIggie standards.

I'm pretty sure Saskeptic did this in the original thread or another.

These tracks are made be common critters doing whst they do.... just because we haven't seen it or are aware of it, doesnt mean an unknown creature is doing it!

Toss in some thawing, refreezing and some additional snow....some more thaw/freeze....stir in imagination and walla Bigfoot trackway!

Based on this....

measurements of a pedometer are based on the hypothesis that all people have common ratios and proportions, even if they are different heights. In this activity you should have found this hypothesis to be pretty accurate. On average, adults have a step length of about 2.2 to 2.5 feet. In general, if you divide a person's step length by their height, the ratio value you get is about 0.4 (with a range from about 0.41 to 0.45). This is why you can take a person's step length and divide it by about 0.43 to roughly estimate their height—the estimated height will likely be within two inches of (and probably much closer to) their actual height.

A 10' stride lenght would make bigge about 23' tall?

So Bigfoots out? ;)

Edited by Cervelo

^^ I think what Branco is referring to with 'stride' is the distance between tracks of either the left foot only or the right foot only. IOW, 5 feet between each step using left and right feet, when measured from right foot to the next right foot, 10 feet.

That puts the creature at about 1/2 the height you proposed, which is within the range that exists in the sighting record. 23 feet is out, as far as I am concerned...

Disagree with what? Its not clear from your post.

I like rabbits for BF track makers in remote places. In snow they would leave visible track lines in which each "step" could be five feet or more apart. A rabbit can be fast even in snow and the faster it runs, the farther the "steps" would be spaced. I suspect many other smallish mammals could leave similar prints if they were bounding and the snow melts a bit.

Its my belief that all one needs to do is some calculations related to stride lenght and you'll find that most of your snow track makers would be giants even by BIggie standards.

I'm pretty sure Saskeptic did this in the original thread or another.

These tracks are made be common critters doing whst they do.... just because we haven't seen it or are aware of it, doesnt mean an unknown creature is doing it!

Toss in some thawing, refreezing and some additional snow....some more thaw/freeze....stir in imagination and walla Bigfoot trackway!

Based on this....

measurements of a pedometer are based on the hypothesis that all people have common ratios and proportions, even if they are different heights. In this activity you should have found this hypothesis to be pretty accurate. On average, adults have a step length of about 2.2 to 2.5 feet. In general, if you divide a person's step length by their height, the ratio value you get is about 0.4 (with a range from about 0.41 to 0.45). This is why you can take a person's step length and divide it by about 0.43 to roughly estimate their height—the estimated height will likely be within two inches of (and probably much closer to) their actual height.

A 10' stride lenght would make bigge about 23' tall?

So Bigfoots out? ;)

So what's in? Something made the tracks right? What known animal hops along leaving deep impressions with a 10 foot leap? And not for a couple of leaps but for miles?

This is not as nearly cut and dried as people assume it to be.\

And I don't think your equation includes a run versus a walk, as I brought up to Saskeptic as well.

http://www.runningspot.com/sl_09_.php

How is it that a adult male runner has a stride length of 7 feet 9 inches? I doubt they are any where close to 23 feet tall?

Guest Cervelo

So you think biggie was running in 3' of snow for 3 miles and left no drag marks, never slipped, just made perfect post holes the whole way?