Sasquatch Feces

NathanFooter

I tend to think their diet being more flora and fauna.

My point being what other possible food source is there other than plants (flora) or animals (fauna)? That's some pretty inclusive choices, as that's all any living creature eats.

SSR Team

I've seen the account of the female bigfoot standing on a rock in a river and "letting fly".

The scat I've seen was always placed to be found.  It was a clear message that my presence was unappreciated in each case.  It looked human, smelled like the result of a red meat diet, and was very over-sized. 

I'm just glad they're not in the habit of throwing it.

Higher Primates do, for sure.

Chimps certainly do.

Guest zenmonkey

My point being what other possible food source is there other than plants (flora) or animals (fauna)? That's some pretty inclusive choices, as that's all any living creature eats.

Sorry I should of looked at what i wrote i meant more flora than fauna. sorry!

Knowing where they may go to defecate is powerful information that may help track movement patterns

Seriously, did you just say that? Thats the funniest thing i've read in a long time. Sorry Nathan, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, did you just say that? Thats the funniest thing i've read in a long time. Sorry Nathan, I couldn't resist.

I can see some of you guys caught the humor. LOL   :onthequiet:      You have to have fun with it sometimes.

Guest Skunkapetracker

The only thing I have found in the field that could have been Skunk Ape droppings was what looked like back bear droppings in an area where there were no recorded black bears. It was full of berries and maybe squirrel fur. That was the only suspicious poo I have seen, but I did not think to take a picture of it or collect it.

Guest keninsc

Here is all the proof needed, official signage ! LOL

I love the sign. I think I saw something similar to it when I was hiking Idaho and Montana. 

I find this topic interesting as it deals with something that can only be considered physical evidence. But i find the political correctness on this thread to be overwhelming. So i have created a laymans definition guide to this topic (all terms used in this thread):

Fecal Matter=poop

feces=poop 

defecate=to poop

scat=poop

scat being forcasted=pooping

depositor=the one who pooped

poo=poop

poop=duh

mushy logs=soft poop

speciman=scientific poop

letting fly=holy cow did i just poop

If you can find a nest, then you will find it. I collected 5 bags from a nest in the winter. The problem with scat is that the bacteria compromises the dna very quickly. In the case of my samples is that they were frozen within moments of being dropped and they have never been thawed. Alberta biologists tested one sample after a year and it was inconclusive. Meaning it didn't match anything in Genbank. They asked more questions after testing than before. As far as how it looked, it was very similar to Black bear in circumference but there was more in each pile. It was very black and smelled slightly of skunk. It had been eating the bait out of the trappers box sets and skunk oil was an ingredient. It left rocks in trade on top of the boxes. If it hadn't been at a nest I would have assumed it was bear.

Skywalker, what types of areas have you found nests and at what times of the year, was there anything in particular that lead you to them ?

Detector dogs are being used to look for scat of wildlife species and are very successful. Would it be possible to save the fresh scat that you do find and use it to train a dog? Do a google search for "Comparing Scat Detection Dogs, Cameras, and Hair Snares for Surveying Carnivores".

The placement of the scat around the nest was random, yet not all in one place. And a lot of it. It appeared that it had used the nest for many days if not a couple weeks. The proximity of the nest was close to the road and seemed used for spying on those who came down the road. I should also mention that it only raided the Marten boxes from the nest into the lease site, and never touched the sets that went back to the main road. If an area has activity there will be nests. They can vary from a simple depression under a tree[always under a tree] to an elaborate "mattress" made from grass reeds, moss etc that was obviously carried to the site. I should also tell you that they will clean up a nest site when they are done. If you find a nest they are very likely close by. I'll see if I can dig up some photos.