Primates And Music ?

Thinking a certain Ohio gal will be along with an entire playlist of Dead tuneage.

I'd suggest Franklin's Tower along with the Weather Report Suite.

Hey Incorrigible1 - laughing because I did find this thread, thank you for the recommendation, and YES, that is exactly what I was going to suggest.  Jerry Garcia and Bigfoot go together like peanut butter and jelly.  John Denver has worked too. CSN works.  Don't tempt me Inc, or I'll lay an Egypt 1978 in front of the pyramids on you.  You know that it was during an eclipse too right?  laughing.  Think I'm going to do it here. 

Welcome to the forums MesingW!

I think it's just about the energy that you put around you.  It's a state of mind, a peaceful bliss as George Harrison has said that is so important.

Ok, MesingW, here it is.  You said that you taught music, check out this clap rhythm that goes on here with the local boys playing with the Dead.  Love Jerry's pig tails.  It's an interesting piece of music, mixing two completely different cultures.  And who plays in front of the pyramids!

Then there are a few from one of my other favorite shows, closing of Winterland 12/31/78.  Last show there by Bill Graham.  Scarlet Begonias has one of my favorite lines, I use it in my signature. 

When I had my sighting last may, I was stopped on a back road for several minutes taking pictures of horses, listening to the Grateful Dead from the CD, "Three from the Vault."  My report on BFRO is incorrect saying that I was listening to "Two from the Vault."  Since then, some of my other perceived BF activities here have been while listening to the Grateful Dead.  And no, I wasn't on acid or magic mushrooms.  Jerry and the boys had a cosmic element to their music and well, "You might as well try, might as well try."  "Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right." 

Thank you for your indulgence and I wish you well with your research!  Thank you for participating in all this.

How do you like me now Incorrigible?   Love ya!  At least I am consistent.  :)

Edited by Hammer102492

All I know is that a wolf pack sings in the key of A, if my ear is true. "Deal" might be your best bet, although some research pegs the cosmic background at B flat. In that case, "Johnny B. Goode" may be a better choice.

Deal and Johnny B are excellent choices WSA!

I am going to figure out what songs I was actually listening to when I had my sighting. I'll get back to you on that.

All I know is that a wolf pack sings in the key of A, if my ear is true. "Deal" might be your best bet, although some research pegs the cosmic background at B flat. In that case, "Johnny B. Goode" may be a better choice.

I assume you looked at "Three from the Vault" before you posted that comment WSA.  I finally got around to looking at that list again so I could post what I was listening to when I saw it.  I had been thinking about Deal for a few hours now, (another story about the engineer husband seeing Deal by JGB and his necklace of beads blew off his neck in 360 degrees - he still can't figure that out), but then saw that Deal and Johnny B were on that list.  You knew that right?  Just checking.  :)   It kind of made me pause a minute, like is that just a coincidence or duh, he knows the show!  lol  big dummy

What you didn't know, however, was that I was listening to the second disc when I saw this huge big black thing leaping high in the air across the little country back road that I was on.  I had been playing disc two from "Three / Vault" at the time, while sitting for several minutes in the road, with the car running, cranking Jerry and the boys, feeling happy for summer vacation coming on, and looked forward to head home, and saw it in a mid air jump, going over a 4 foot fence from a hillside to a ravine.  I later discovered that that spot is a game path because in that same place, I have seen deer, (showed me that for SURE what I saw wasn't a deer), and turkey and rabbit. 

So was he listening to the Grateful Dead, or just chasing deer?   He was probably chasing game, (it was 8pm, May 14, 2013).   OR he was just hanging around because he felt cool listening to Jerry, came in for a closer look and got busted!  Either way, the big guy was there when I was cranking the tunes.  It certainly didn't scare him away. 

If I remember this correctly, (have to check out the report again), the investigators said it was approx 240 feet.

Admin

Primate Music

There's research on whales singing and birds dancing, but what about monkeys and apes? In this segment, we'll look at the musical abilities of our fellow primates. In one study, researchers gave electronic keyboards to bonobos and asked them to play along with musicians such as Peter Gabriel and Paul McCartney. In another study, published this month in in the journal Biology Letters, researchers examined whether humans could compose music tailored to produce an emotional response in cotton-top tamarin monkeys. We'll talk about what other members of the primate kingdom can teach humans about music.

Ape Jams:  http://www.sciencefriday.com/video/09/11/2009/ape-jams.html

Guest WesT

Well shiver me timber's I never thought about this angle. I'm going to come back when I've got more time listen to the link's gigantor posted. But I"m playing this evening for a local event in the band I'm in and I've got to get ready to go . I'm a bass player/backup singer but people seem to really enjoy hearing me sing Led Zepplin and request I do so all time. I'm my own worst critic though. It's funny how I hate to hear a playback of me singing. Makes me cringe. lol

I'm not sure whether you're proposing your own experiments, or just soliciting ideas, but it's a good topic. One of the main characteristics of BFs is curiousity, and many reports of them being drawn to rhythms, including music. Music is the universal language, after all.

Here's an interesting report involving musical vocalization:

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2841

• 3 months later...

I somehow did manage to stay a few nights at a yurt northeast of Huntsville, It wasn't planned, but I did discover there may have been multiple activity within 15km or so in the past decade . Anywho, the lake I was on was mine and mine alone. Every evening I stood on my dock and played my euphonium ( very melodic low brass instrument and I would describe myself as an accomplished musician) for my enjoyment   and boy did it carry. Wolves loved it.  Lake was a bowl shape and my echo was 4 s long.I played my favorite melodies as well as simple notes that I knew would carry.  I would say it was mostly uneventful except a heard a few light taps fairly close that I couldn't place. Near the end of one  session my dog and I were very quickly overcome with a blanket of smell. I cant say it was skunky but it was so intense and quick , it made me pack up for the evening. I have never smelled anything so overpowering before.  I lost my nerves. Perhaps I will revisit.    

If these creatures are as rare as we estimate , a chance encounter prodding through  the woods is wishful thinking.

Perhaps they can be enticed  closer  on their terms.   

The perfect thing to call one in!

• 4 months later...

Music is arguably one of the few things that crosses all barriers so is music the key to the (a) soul maybe?

Edited by Gumshoeye

I had an unexplainable sound hit me to "Singing Call" by Stephen Stills. The big F bomb in the clip is in the premium forum if you want to hear it.

Tunes generate energy.

Edited by Hammer102492

Take it out to the woods and give it whirl Hammer!  As an aside, the three part harmony is good and I enjoyed them better when it was Crosby, Stills, Nash ….

Years ago a friend went to his spot, set up a cd player, brought his patio chair and visited the "trees" and he was rewarded with a few encounters, so it does work.  I don't know how many times he did this but he did get responses to at least two or three instances. He mentioned different types of music and if I remember correctly that didn't matter.

Another friend took her tv and placed it towards the window which faced the woods.  She then, starting snapping pics and got a few interesting faces. 

I believe that they are very, very curious.  You have to understand, when you do visit the woods you are in their territory..  What if they are wondering what the hey are these hairless guys doing in my house???

Have some empathy if you do go out and be aware.

• Upvote 1