100 Bigfoot Nights

NTD, My dog and I heard something in Alabama which raised the hair on my neck, and the dogs too. I could feel the vibrations in my chest. Wasn't a coyote. Coyotes were what caught our attention first. Two packs raising all holy hades on opposing hilltops. Something else started screaming or whooping between the two packs. When it let out unreally deep powerful roar that literally was physically felt, all the coyote racket stopped. like flipping a switch. As well as the neighborhood dogs for a mile around. This sound was either an incredibly gifted human being, a recording of an incredibly gifted human being played through a powerful, yet portable p.a. system, or some unknown entity. The portable p.a. theory is implausible to me as I lived on the end of a dead end road, with the road turning into a logging access unimproved washed out trail, with two locked gates guarding the property. And no one had been through the gate for weeks. Off road atvs could access my yard/woodline from surrounding roads, but would have to travel over a mile through dense forest and undergrowth from the closest point, as well as crossing two streams that cut the highly dissected uplands there, no bridges and steep banks higher than a mans head with the attendent overgrowth of cane and trees and shrubs. At night. Of course highly motivated, rugged strong people could have accomplished this, either humped that night or earlier during light to set up speakers, amplifier and batteries inside my woodline and wait till the middle of the night to either scream through or play a recording for a few minutes for their own unknown reasons. No one on our road was/is into any crypto type hobby. I had absolutely no interest in the field of Bigfoot, other than watching monster movies and watching Leonard Nimoy back in the day narrate the Sasquatch shows like the rest of our generation, the last thing on my list of priorities was Bigfoot. A disabled lady, myself, and an empty house do not seem to be a great target for a hoax. Especially a hoax that requires a great deal of physical effort. With no way of knowing if the target the hoax is directed toward is even there, or awake, or will even care. And only perform the hoax for a short time, at the worst apparent time for your target to be awake or aware. So, for me the amplified vocal is not feasible. That leaves gifted human. Possible, unlikely for reasons stated above, but possible. Said human, unless already highly rich, is highly gifted and should be using vocal ability for fun profit and fame and fortune, not hiking around rural Alabama in middle of night and performing vocal explosions to pines and oaks and wildlife and sick old people, empty houses and dogs, in my opinion. I agree NTD, sounds can change one paradigm thinking. When I hear a known animal duplicate those sounds I will revert back to my previous paradigm. So far, nothing like it.

I was called early one night when the family and neighbors were hearing the things vocalizing along the creek. I begin driving over and made the last turn less than 100 yards from their house. In making the turn I saw a flash of red eyes down along the creek, and i nearly ran over a man that was hauling tail in the street with his back to me. I knew him, tooted the horn and he stopped. He was very agitated and I asked what was going. He said," One of those SOB's d--- nearly hit me with a rock.". I parked and asked where he had been standing. We walked back to the spot. He had been on the side of the street nearest the creek shining a huge, high powered light, and heard the rock breaking limbs, and then saw it in midair in light's beam as he ducked it. I looked across the street and saw where the rock hit the asphalt and skidded to a stop against the curb. I picked it up and saw that the fist-sized rock had wet creek mud on the exposed surface. While  looking at the rock (igneous quarry stone), he took it out of my hand and kept it. The next day I was able to see where a BF had steeped off the bank on the opposite side of the creek into the rocky creek bed then jumped about six feet onto the side the man was on. (The bank was only about two feet high at that point.) That's where the BF had been when I saw it's eyes, and apparently where he stood to throw the rock.

One night some time later, the lady called to say her house dogs were barking like crazy and looking toward the swimming pool. She could see nothing moving but saw big tracks of water on the tile surrounding the pool. I drove over and found that a BF had climbed over their high wood fence around the pool area at a corner where a medium sized tree grew on a neighbor's property. The incoming tracks in the grass, and the abraded bark on the tree were obvious. There were no incoming tracks noticed on the tile around the pool. What were very obvious were the tracks of a BF that had walked out of the pool on the steps, then made a left turn, walked to the corner of the pool on the tile and made another left turn then angled off the tile into the grass and climbed back over the fence at the tree's location. The length, width and stride of the barefoot tracks ruled out humans. (Had a human tried to make "jumping" tracks with wet feet on that tile he would have busted his.... backside. 

I was investigating the report for the BFRO. I was obligated to keep the names, locations and other personal info confidential. Since the young man had already been posting information on a blog about what was going on, I saw no point in going any further with a report for publication. (His mother did not know what he had done and had - what we call in the South - a "hissy fit" when I carried her a copy of what he had posted on his blog.)

Her three sons, all in college, are as bright as the evening star, and very courteous and likable. Good young men. 

Hope this answers your questions OldDog.

Thanks, Branco, for filling us in on the situation. Sounds like you got to see some interesting things there. Is there any chance you would post the pictures of the wet pool footprints here? That sounds pretty cool.

Also, do you have a link to the son's blog? If it is no longer active, perhaps we can still view it on the wayback machine.

Thanks!

There are pictures in the books, including the wet prints, along with links to vids and audio clips.

Edited by JKH

Thanks, JKH. Are the pool footprints in the first or second book? I have the first book on Kindle and found it less than convincing. I am interested in any of Branco's pics as corroboration (unless the pictures in the book are Branco's) since I can only assume that he the is the Mr. Hill described in the book.

Edited by Bonehead74

Yup, in the second book. I've wondered who Mr Hill was, now we know.

It does appear from the book that the BFs never left. I feel kinda sorry for the family, but I think some of their reactions were quite negative and unhelpful.

I was called early one night when the family and neighbors were hearing the things vocalizing along the creek. I begin driving over and made the last turn less than 100 yards from their house. In making the turn I saw a flash of red eyes down along the creek, and i nearly ran over a man that was hauling tail in the street with his back to me. I knew him, tooted the horn and he stopped. He was very agitated and I asked what was going. He said," One of those SOB's d--- nearly hit me with a rock.". I parked and asked where he had been standing. We walked back to the spot. He had been on the side of the street nearest the creek shining a huge, high powered light, and heard the rock breaking limbs, and then saw it in midair in light's beam as he ducked it. I looked across the street and saw where the rock hit the asphalt and skidded to a stop against the curb. I picked it up and saw that the fist-sized rock had wet creek mud on the exposed surface. While  looking at the rock (igneous quarry stone), he took it out of my hand and kept it. The next day I was able to see where a BF had steeped off the bank on the opposite side of the creek into the rocky creek bed then jumped about six feet onto the side the man was on. (The bank was only about two feet high at that point.) That's where the BF had been when I saw it's eyes, and apparently where he stood to throw the rock.

One night some time later, the lady called to say her house dogs were barking like crazy and looking toward the swimming pool. She could see nothing moving but saw big tracks of water on the tile surrounding the pool. I drove over and found that a BF had climbed over their high wood fence around the pool area at a corner where a medium sized tree grew on a neighbor's property. The incoming tracks in the grass, and the abraded bark on the tree were obvious. There were no incoming tracks noticed on the tile around the pool. What were very obvious were the tracks of a BF that had walked out of the pool on the steps, then made a left turn, walked to the corner of the pool on the tile and made another left turn then angled off the tile into the grass and climbed back over the fence at the tree's location. The length, width and stride of the barefoot tracks ruled out humans. (Had a human tried to make "jumping" tracks with wet feet on that tile he would have busted his.... backside. 

I was investigating the report for the BFRO. I was obligated to keep the names, locations and other personal info confidential. Since the young man had already been posting information on a blog about what was going on, I saw no point in going any further with a report for publication. (His mother did not know what he had done and had - what we call in the South - a "hissy fit" when I carried her a copy of what he had posted on his blog.)

Her three sons, all in college, are as bright as the evening star, and very courteous and likable. Good young men. 

Thanks for that info Branco.  Very interesting event.

Ha ha ha! We call them "hissy fits" where I live, too.  :)

Thanks for that information, Branco.

There's an important lesson here, I think, and that lesson is this: It's ill-advised to raise questions about a person's integrity in the absence of hard information about their situation. Who has a proxy server where -- and whether or not book reviews get repeated in multiple places -- is not evidence of malfeasance.

If Branco hadn't been here to set the record straight, we could all have become guilty of smearing this person's name for nothing. 

There is no shame in believing someone until you're given reason not to. But there is shame -- there should be shame -- in harming the reputation of a person who you later learn has done no harm.

Be slow to judge.

I still hold that if one is publishing material for profit, why hide behind proxy servers and use less than reputable business practices to form a publishing company.  Those very acts alone call the veracity of a person into question.  If one is giving out reviews of books, and they are identical in content, why use different names when posting?  Do they not think that people go to different sites to glean information?  If this is as innocent as you claim, why the deception?  Their story would hold much more water if they came out with the unvarnished truth to begin with.  It was the repeated identical book reviews that brought this to my attention to begin with.  This isn't just one incident, she has published two books and has one more in the works.  At this point, it appears to be more for profit than just to get her story out.  If you want me to take your words as truth, then be totally truthful from the start.  I put the info out there for people to see, they can make their own determinations.  I guess being in the newspaper business for over 20 years has made me question things when they don't ad up.  I make no excuses for asking questions and bringing up discrepancies in things.  I never take things at face value, that's how you get taken in and fooled.  Just think where we'd be now if we had just taken Dyer or Smeja at face value and not asked questions.

Thanks, Branco, for filling us in on the situation. Sounds like you got to see some interesting things there. Is there any chance you would post the pictures of the wet pool footprints here? That sounds pretty cool.

Also, do you have a link to the son's blog? If it is no longer active, perhaps we can still view it on the wayback machine.

Thanks!

At that the time of the "water tracks" event, I was no longer working on the case for publication. (I may have photographed the "water tracks" but I'm not sure. I understood the author was going to use her photographs in the book.) I went to see the tracks out of personal curiosity. My interest in the BF in this area didn't start or end because of her report or the disclosure of the son's blog on the subject. I had in fact been helping a new field investigator on his first self-assigned raw data report. That case reportedly involved multiple - and somewhat routine - road crossing encounters that occurred less than two crow miles from "Christina's" home. A few years ago there was a published BFRO report of a BF seen walking along another large creek about 5 crow miles from the home.

Within a radius of ten miles of "Christina's" home there have been at least 40 BF sightings reported - some reported to law enforcement agencies, a few to newspapers and most of the rest to me and others during the past 40 years. (A few of the incidents occurred more that 40 years ago.) During the past forty years a large part of the area has exploded with development; isolating large areas of river and creek bottoms, wetlands and commercially owned timber and mining lands.

About 70 years ago, in the southern part of the circle mentioned, a small rural school, whose students who lived within a mile of the school and had to walk to and from school, began riding the school buses because of a Bigfoot that began taking too much interest in some of the children. My wife was one of those children. The community was well aware of the existence of BF.

The basic accounts of "Christina's" accounts may sound far-fetched to some, but not to me or some of the other old woods rats who have lived in the area a very long time. (Admittedly, some of videos, audio recordings and her personal analyses and conclusions regarding them is a wee bit hard to swallow for even the old woods rat pack.)

There's an important lesson here, I think, and that lesson is this: It's ill-advised to raise questions about a person's integrity in the absence of hard information about their situation. Who has a proxy server where -- and whether or not book reviews get repeated in multiple places -- is not evidence of malfeasance.

If Branco hadn't been here to set the record straight, we could all have become guilty of smearing this person's name for nothing. 

There is no shame in believing someone until you're given reason not to. But there is shame -- there should be shame -- in harming the reputation of a person who you later learn has done no harm.

Be slow to judge.

I still hold that if one is publishing material for profit, why hide behind proxy servers and use less than reputable business practices to form a publishing company.  Those very acts alone call the veracity of a person into question.  If one is giving out reviews of books, and they are identical in content, why use different names when posting?  Do they not think that people go to different sites to glean information?  If this is as innocent as you claim, why the deception?  Their story would hold much more water if they came out with the unvarnished truth to begin with.  It was the repeated identical book reviews that brought this to my attention to begin with.  This isn't just one incident, she has published two books and has one more in the works.  At this point, it appears to be more for profit than just to get her story out.  If you want me to take your words as truth, then be totally truthful from the start.  I put the info out there for people to see, they can make their own determinations.  I guess being in the newspaper business for over 20 years has made me question things when they don't ad up.  I make no excuses for asking questions and bringing up discrepancies in things.  I never take things at face value, that's how you get taken in and fooled.  Just think where we'd be now if we had just taken Dyer or Smeja at face value and not asked questions.

You're missing the point. She has every right to publish a book for profit. The fact that you don't understand that a person can tell the truth AND try to make a living for themselves at the same time puts you in an especially bad position for ferretting out "truth".

You got this one wrong. That should be giving you pause.

You were in a literal rush to judgment. The post right before yours showed that somebody was in possession of actual information that contradicted your "information", but you were in too much of a rush even to read it.

When you are about to blast someone's reputation, you should be very, very sure of what you're saying, and you should be moving very, very slowly.

Stop rushing. Get your finger off that trigger. It's hugely and manifestly unfair to impugn someone's reputation without the facts. Having a "suspicion" is not a good enough reason to risk making a terrible mistake like accusing someone of doing something they did not do.

Edited by LeafTalker

Be slow to judge.

You're missing the point. She has every right to publish a book for profit. The fact that you don't understand that a person can tell the truth AND try to make a living for themselves at the same time puts you in an especially bad position for ferretting out "truth".

You got this one wrong. That should be giving you pause.

You were in a literal rush to judgment. The post right before yours showed that somebody was in possession of actual information that contradicted your "information", but you were in too much of a rush even to read it.

When you are about to blast someone's reputation, you should be very, very sure of what you're saying, and you should be moving very, very slowly.

Stop rushing. Get your finger off that trigger. It's hugely and manifestly unfair to impugn someone's reputation without the facts. Having a "suspicion" is not a good enough reason to risk making a terrible mistake like accusing someone of doing something they did not do.

Talk about getting it wrong.  Nowhere was there a rush to judgement and no one blasted anyone's reputation.  If you took it that way, you must have reservations of your own you're not willing to admit.   I posted legitimate questions and concerns and posted my findings.  If I had rushed to judgement, I wouldn't have done my homework by looking into this.  She has every right to publish for profit.  My only questions were, why hide your paper trail?  Why use a proxy server and a proxy business address?  I find it amazing that you think asking legit questions is a rush to judgement.  Actually, with your outlandish suppositions, who is actually rushing to judgement here.  Maybe you should go back and read ALL of my statements and questions just for your own clarity.  As far as understanding that people can tell the truth, and make a profit, you must have missed my statement that I had been in the newspaper business for over 20, I have a bit more than a passing knowledge of that concept.  Do a little subjective thinking for yourself instead of taking all at face value.  As far as her story and those of others, they are nice tales, but they are just that, tales.  If you wish to take these tales on blind faith, then feel free to go right ahead and do that.  As for myself, I actually would like to see something more than a nice story and ambiguous evidence.

I was called early one night when the family and neighbors were hearing the things vocalizing along the creek. I begin driving over and made the last turn less than 100 yards from their house. In making the turn I saw a flash of red eyes down along the creek, and i nearly ran over a man that was hauling tail in the street with his back to me. I knew him, tooted the horn and he stopped. He was very agitated and I asked what was going. He said," One of those SOB's d--- nearly hit me with a rock.". I parked and asked where he had been standing. We walked back to the spot. He had been on the side of the street nearest the creek shining a huge, high powered light, and heard the rock breaking limbs, and then saw it in midair in light's beam as he ducked it. I looked across the street and saw where the rock hit the asphalt and skidded to a stop against the curb. I picked it up and saw that the fist-sized rock had wet creek mud on the exposed surface. While looking at the rock (igneous quarry stone), he took it out of my hand and kept it. The next day I was able to see where a BF had steeped off the bank on the opposite side of the creek into the rocky creek bed then jumped about six feet onto the side the man was on. (The bank was only about two feet high at that point.) That's where the BF had been when I saw it's eyes, and apparently where he stood to throw the rock.

Thanks!

At that the time of the "water tracks" event, I was no longer working on the case for publication. (I may have photographed the "water tracks" but I'm not sure. I understood the author was going to use her photographs in the book.) I went to see the tracks out of personal curiosity. My interest in the BF in this area didn't start or end because of her report or the disclosure of the son's blog on the subject. I had in fact been helping a new field investigator on his first self-assigned raw data report. That case reportedly involved multiple - and somewhat routine - road crossing encounters that occurred less than two crow miles from "Christina's" home. A few years ago there was a published BFRO report of a BF seen walking along another large creek about 5 crow miles from the home.

Within a radius of ten miles of "Christina's" home there have been at least 40 BF sightings reported - some reported to law enforcement agencies, a few to newspapers and most of the rest to me and others during the past 40 years. (A few of the incidents occurred more that 40 years ago.) During the past forty years a large part of the area has exploded with development; isolating large areas of river and creek bottoms, wetlands and commercially owned timber and mining lands.

About 70 years ago, in the southern part of the circle mentioned, a small rural school, whose students who lived within a mile of the school and had to walk to and from school, began riding the school buses because of a Bigfoot that began taking too much interest in some of the children. My wife was one of those children. The community was well aware of the existence of BF.

The basic accounts of "Christina's" accounts may sound far-fetched to some, but not to me or some of the other old woods rats who have lived in the area a very long time. (Admittedly, some of videos, audio recordings and her personal analyses and conclusions regarding them is a wee bit hard to swallow for even the old woods rat pack.)

Thanks for the reply and the background info, Branco.

Sorry, forgot to answer one question. No, I don't have a link to the son's blog. It was sent to me, I opened it, copied the contents, and deleted the link. I stapled the pages and carried them directly to "Christina's" home early that same morning. (To say that I was PO'ed would be a gross understatement.) I rang the door bell, she opened the door, peeked around the edge and apologized because I couldn't come in. She was home alone and was not fully dressed.

I said that was fine, that I just want you to read something, handed her the papers, and turned and walked toward my truck. After walking a few steps I heard her yelling, "WHAT, WHAT, ...

I have to mention what really lit my fuse. Very late one afternoon I drove over to their house, parked across the street from it.and walked down the trail into the woods with some smelly bait, my camera and a night vision scope. (They knew I was going to do that.) Put out the bait and walked into the creek bottoms where the creek made a sharp turn, and sat down against a big tree so that I was facing the downstream section of the creek. I had on camo gear, including a screen mask. By then it was pitch black in the thick wood. The BF's route up the creek was on the opposite side of the creek which was thick with privet hedge trees and vines.

About 30 minutes later I heard what sounded like a biped coming through the thickets at a very slow pace, stopping for two or three minutes, and then continuing for a few more steps. When it reached the bend of the creek, after a minute or so, it stepped off the bank into the rocky stream bed and grunted when he did. I was pumped. If it took two steps out of there, he would only be 25 or so yards away with only chest high brush between us. 

Everything was cool; except I had forgotten to turn off my stinking cell phone, and it began it's incoming call melody. I tried to pull it out and turn it off but it was too late!!! I heard the "thing" crashing back down the opposite creek bank like a bulldozer. I answered the call. It was another BF investigator from NE Alabama who wanted to tell me he had sent me some photos to view on the computer. I didn't want to make him feel bad by telling him what happened, it was totally my fault. So I walked to my truck and drove home.

The point is that "Christina's" son had posted on his blog something to the to effect that I was in the woods a few minutes and was run out by a BF. (He later apologized; probably because he caught a little heat from his mother.) 

Hey Branco,

I realize this took place for this woman starting in 2012, but when was your investigation of this incident?  Is it on going?  If not ongoing, do you have any plans to return to the area to do any further investigating?

Since you had so much luck with your last trip, and IF you do another, is there any chance you'll take along a camera that will give us a better image than the ones on her website, and maybe a recording device?

After you left to go home after the cell phone debacle, did you go back to look for any tracks in the area that you heard the footsteps?

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Talk about getting it wrong.  Nowhere was there a rush to judgement and no one blasted anyone's reputation.  

-- You didn't write these words, then? "You just don't go through that much trouble to hide your tracks if you are legit." "If this is as innocent as you claim, why the deception?"

You called her "not legit" and accused her of perpetrating a "deception".

THAT is a rush to judgment. THAT is blasting someone's reputation.

And you got it dead wrong.

Do a little subjective thinking for yourself instead of taking all at face value.  As far as her story and those of others, they are nice tales, but they are just that, tales.  If you wish to take these tales on blind faith, then feel free to go right ahead and do that.  As for myself, I actually would like to see something more than a nice story and ambiguous evidence.

-- Who took what at face value???? You dug up completely useless information and put a LOT of "face value" on it. Completely wrong face value.

You would like to "see something more than a nice story and ambiguous evidence"? Well, you got it. But no thanks to you. Your rush to judgment is not what got you there.

You are not the only one who is a little quick off the trigger. Many people here are. It's not a good thing. It poisons the atmosphere and makes perfectly reasonable people with great stories not want to be here, and not want to tell those stories.

A little restraint, a little kindess -- a little fairness -- would go a long way toward making this a more comfortable place for people to participate.

Edited by LeafTalker
  • Upvote 1

Talk about getting it wrong.  Nowhere was there a rush to judgement and no one blasted anyone's reputation.  

-- You didn't write these words, then? "You just don't go through that much trouble to hide your tracks if you are legit." "If this is as innocent as you claim, why the deception?"

You called her "not legit" and accused her of perpetrating a "deception".

THAT is a rush to judgment. THAT is blasting someone's reputation.

And you got it dead wrong.

Do a little subjective thinking for yourself instead of taking all at face value.  As far as her story and those of others, they are nice tales, but they are just that, tales.  If you wish to take these tales on blind faith, then feel free to go right ahead and do that.  As for myself, I actually would like to see something more than a nice story and ambiguous evidence.

-- Who took what at face value???? You dug up completely useless information and put a LOT of "face value" on it. Completely wrong face value.

You would like to "see something more than a nice story and ambiguous evidence"? Well, you got it. But no thanks to you. Your rush to judgment is not what got you there.

You are not the only one who is a little quick off the trigger. Many people here are. It's not a good thing. It poisons the atmosphere and makes perfectly reasonable people with great stories not want to be here, and not want to tell those stories.

A little restraint, a little kindess -- a little fairness -- would go a long way toward making this a more comfortable place for people to participate.

You and I have obvious differing perceptions on things, so I will not beleagure this post with any further back and forth.  You obviously have your won agenda and refuse to actually read what I posted and wish to interpret things in your own way.  As far as the report goes, I have contacted Branco privately and will hopefully further my interest in this matter with him.  As much as I would love to pick apart your most recent post, it is obvious that it would not further the conversation or your understanding.  As such, I'm done with this and your ruminations.