Using Game Cams As An Excuse For No Existance

Painthorse

BFF Patron

Yah, you both beat me Nathan and BobbyO but Stan Courtney and Jeff Meldrum beat all three of us.  Hah, great article though.  I've done some of the simultaneous triggering studies myself and I know one of our infrequently posting members has done some of the ultrasonic studies. 

• Upvote 1

An interesting note on Game Cams: on a recent Sasquatch Chronicles, they spoke with a woman who had BF's on her property, she was in fear for her safety so she contacted the BFRO and asked how to get rid of them, the suggested putting up Game Cams, which she did and said it worked! 

So unless or until the Game Cam technology can be revised, it does appear that they are not all that reliable in capturing these beasts...

Just retrieved a cam today and had these yotee pics. The cam is IR and other than "hearing the trigger mechanism or the ability to see the Ir"  there's really no other reason for them to be looking directly at the cam.

The bear pic is from a few years back, on the fence if the bear was just interested in the scent of the cam or possibly curious about the "sound" of the cams trigger mechanism.

post-110-0-22130800-1415389866_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-15823200-1415389894_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-16288400-1415389930_thumb.jpg

^Very cool pics.  I enjoy trail cam pics.

Quick story, talking to my bow hunter pal this weekend.  Asked him how he was doing.  He relayed a story to me that, about a month ago, he stopped catching a 9 pointer on one of his cameras.  "It just disappeared".  He had been seeing it over a few week period working a heavily used trail.  But then, all of a sudden, no more pics.

Fast forward (and rewind?) to last weekend, he's out in the woods, hunting over this trail by his camera and sees this 9 pointer coming down the trail.  He watches it get up to where the camera is, and surprise surprise, leaves the trail and goes around BACK of the camera.

Hmmmm...now how did it know which end was the back?  Are we to believe that this deer has figured out what that contraption is and what it is used for?

Folks, I think it's VERY obvious that animals very easily detect cameras, and actually avoid the picture taking direction at times.  (when the animal is 'smart' enough).

Edited by Cotter
  • Upvote 1

I have not tried this myself but the idea came to me a few months ago. The idea is to place a regular flash trail cam on a tree that will distract and a infrared on a another tree where the creature will not suspect it. The trick is to distract the creature with the flash trail cam  or get the creature in a place where you wanted so that you can get a photo of it with the infrared.

Now there is the problem that if they do have the sense of being able to sense what we are trying to do. That we would have to go into the woods with a clear mind and not give into the idea of the plan that is being placed.I believe that do have this capabilities of being able to read us some way and this is why that they are always one step ahead of us.I am also of the belief that they are some how of the spirit world whether you believe me or not, and that this is what makes them interdeminsional.Do i have proof of this ( NO ) but I have proven to my self  of what they are. But i can assure you that it does dwell into the religous realm that the forum rules do not allow. 

Hi MIB.

Just a quick question - if they are indeed interdimensional, do you have any idea how it works?  Can they jump just by thinking or is there some sort of mechanical advantage they use?  (some sort of equipment to do it).

It's interesting, b/c if they can avoid trail cams using such technique, do you put much stock in reports of them getting shot? 

Edited by Cotter

Hi MIB.

Just a quick question - if they are indeed interdimensional, do you have any idea how it works?  Can they jump just by thinking or is there some sort of mechanical advantage they use?  (some sort of equipment to do it).

It's interesting, b/c if they can avoid trail cams using such technique, do you put much stock in reports of them getting shot? 

Hi Cotter -

I dunno.  I've thought about it some (a lot).   No answers, but the speculation runs sort of like this:

Picking the question apart, considering our move towards imbedding processors in biological organisms and possible biological computers in the future, I think the question of whether it is "just by thinking vs using equipment" stops having any meaning.   Paradigm shift.   Further, string theory seems to suggest that point to point transfer is possible, at least mathematically.   (My perception of "dimensions" is that of a physicist, not the "woo" interpretation.   Dimensions are measures, not places.)   It really comes down to engineering.   We're a long ways from having the engineering moxie to build a device that would facilitate a dimensional shift.  Whether a living organism could survive such an event, even if such a device existed, who knows?    A final thought ... would we recognize such technology?  It seems so far ahead of us that Arthur C Clarke's famous quote is applicable: "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Even if they were able to do all that, and I think it's a big if, I don't think it would stop them from being shot in all cases.   You have to be aware of a danger before you can act to avoid it.  Yes, I do put stock in SOME OF the stories of BF being shot.    Compared to other types of reports, many more of these ring false, but some do ring true.  

Finally, no, I don't think BF uses anything interdimensional to avoid trail cameras.   I think the answer is much simpler strictly based on simple F&B.     

MIB

• Upvote 1

kit - great posts as usual.  Regarding finding bear remains - it does happen if you spend enough time in the woods (where bears are).  I've seen the remains of several bears, and while they were decomposed to the point I could not tell exactly what killed them (no broken/shattered bones one would expect from gunshot or even arrow wounds), as you said, they were dead none the less.

BobbyO, do you still have the numbers I came up with a few years ago about the number of trail cameras needed to cover the NPs in the PNW?  It was in the billions IIRC.  That's not to say that we would need to line up billions of trail cams, but the lack of trail camera photos is surprising. 

Regarding that large deer that avoided the trail and went behind the camera.  I wonder ---  if that camera was moved to a tree 20 yards on either the left or the right (downtrail), but on the same trail, would that deer go behind the camera at the new location?  Or would it avoid the trail at the location where the camera was originally detected (through the triggering) and then re-enter the trail in time to be captured on the camera at the new location?

Game cams do work just very rarely.  I have seen a friend's game cam pics and a couple of them are amazing.  She would send me tons of pics and after I examined them with a fine tooth comb I discovered the hand that is my avatar.  We think it's the hand of a white female that was seen on a regular basis at her place.  There are others but can't really discuss them right now.

Her situation was a very unusual one and the best advice is if you want to get a pic on a game cam you must be vigilant and use routines.  Also being a good neighbor helps immensely.

Hi Sunflower -

Have you noticed any difference in what kind of camera is used?    The better pictures I've seen were taken with the older mechanically activated, visible flash, film cameras, not the new digital cameras with a trip "beam".   If the electronics or I.R. are the problem, we have a problem in that nobody seems to be making 35mm film anymore.  I'm curious what your experience / inputs say.  

Thanks!

MIB

Edited by MIB

These were older if you think 2005 is old.   Digital and some were activated by motion.  She also made a habit of walking around with a camera in her hand and has taken some astounding daytime and night pics.   I examined her pics and out of a thousand or so I found maybe 2-3 that were definitely the hairy people.

Others were maybe's but that doesn't count for me.  I want a clear and definite pic that is a "yes - OMG - knock my socks off!!!!! or I don't get particularly excited about them.

Another friend would also run around her place with a camera and she caught some astounding pics as well.  Little ones, medium and large hariy people and they seemed to not mind as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the US military has snapped these creatures a few times. With all the land they own around bases which is used for training they must've caught something. Just wondering, these creatures are reported to have glowing eyes in the dark. This may suggest they have excellent night vision (think "cat's eyes"), in which case would they be able to pick up the lens of a nightvision/IR camera a mile off? They may also be heavily scented in human odours.

Admin

SmallFoot, have you read about the alleged sightings at Edwards AFB in California? Take it with a grain of salt (OK, a large cube), but supposedly they are well known to the base MPs and plenty of video of them wandering around the base.