1 In 10,000 Sasquatch Sightings Are Likely To Be True.

dmaker

How would one account for the 9,999 that Dr.Meldrum predicts are incorrect? 

I suspect you know this answer, even if you thought BF was real.

Look at the dimension jumper crowd, they have multiple sightings pert near daily.  Really can drive up the false reports.  Heck, how many bigfoot did Toejam see in 1 photo?  14?

Yes, but 9,999 false reports?  That is a large number. That is 9,999 mistaken identity cases, or lies, or hallucinations. Something that some here would have us believe almost never happen and that all sighting reports stand true until proven wrong. 

^Well, at least we know better, right? 

I would also guess, just guess, that when Meldrum hits the road, he comes across many 'colorful' folks.....he could be a bit over correcting.....

who knows really....I haven't seen one; real, hallucinated, lied about, or mis-ID....so I have no personal experience to pull from.

Proponent: Who dares question the reliability of the sacred database?!

Skeptic: Dr. Meldrum

Proponent: Well, it was probably taken out of context? He's privy to a lot of stuff...um, not sure, maybe counting Toejam and the others plus an over-correction factor? 

Skeptic: Priceless

• Upvote 1

^Not sure what your getting at, but perhaps you could offer up how you know 9,999 is the correct number?

B/C Meldrum said it?  So you are now a proponent?

Or is it NOT a correct number?

If you notice, I prefaced the whole thing by saying it was a guess, which is NOT 'probably' as you suggest.

I thought you had a good understanding of probable?

Nice try!

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

I think you're missing the big picture. If only 1 in a million sightings is actually a real Sasquatch, how many more do we need? Answer = You only need 1 sighting to be real folks. Chris B.

^^ 612+Lighten+Up+Francis.jpg

Just a joke Cotter. I'm just glad a skeptic didn't say something similar - there would be blood in the streets.

I think you're missing the big picture. If only 1 in a million sightings is actually a real Sasquatch, how many more do we need? Answer = You only need 1 sighting to be real folks. Chris B.

Obviously. But how do you account for the estimated 9,999 false reports? We are told here constantly that these upstanding, reliable, outdoorsy, honest, people that are making these reports simply cannot be wrong. 

Uhm, 9,999 false reports equates to a whole lot of people being wrong.  I thought the prevailing wisdom here is that there is nothing in the reports to indicate that the witness was wrong?  Well that certainly cannot be the case if one agrees with Dr.Meldrums estimate. Even the fact that he says bears are commonly mistaken for primates seems to fly in the face of common memes here. I can't count how often I have been told that the idea of someone mistaking a bear for a sasquatch is absurd.  In fact, when suggesting something like that I get slapped in the face with " there is nothing to back up your suggestion".  hmmmm...

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

dmaker, as for me I'm not taking the 1 in 10,000 thing literally. I'm certain there are alot of misidentifications, made up stories, and genuine hallucinations included in a database of 10k sightings. I think what Meldrum was trying to get across was exactly that. I'm not going to hazard a guess as to how many are accurate vs how many are bogus. There's absolutely no way to determine any factual numbers. The important thing to realize about the sightings database is that for these creatures to NOT exist, every single sighting report must be false. If only 1 sighting report is accurate, then presto we have a Bigfoot. Chris B.

I thought the prevailing wisdom here is that there is nothing in the reports to indicate that the witness was wrong?  

I'm not sure I would use the word "prevailing", and I harbour grave doubts about the the "wisdom" part as well.

dmaker, as for me I'm not taking the 1 in 10,000 thing literally. I'm certain there are alot of misidentifications, made up stories, and genuine hallucinations included in a database of 10k sightings. I think what Meldrum was trying to get across was exactly that. I'm not going to hazard a guess as to how many are accurate vs how many are bogus. There's absolutely no way to determine any factual numbers. The important thing to realize about the sightings database is that for these creatures to NOT exist, every single sighting report must be false. If only 1 sighting report is accurate, then presto we have a Bigfoot. Chris B.

Ahh but how are we to know we have even one accurate sighting? No physical evidence to date has met with science and survived intact.

SSR Team

Yes, but 9,999 false reports?  That is a large number. That is 9,999 mistaken identity cases, or lies, or hallucinations. Something that some here would have us believe almost never happen and that all sighting reports stand true until proven wrong.

I'm struggling to see why you're focussing on the 9,999 and not the 1 ?

^^ 612+Lighten+Up+Francis.jpg

Just a joke Cotter. I'm just glad a skeptic didn't say something similar - there would be blood in the streets.

G'ah!  I've been dihydrogen oxided, rick rolled, and now lighten up francis'd in 3 days!!!  I'm losing it!

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Obviously. But how do you account for the estimated 9,999 false reports? We are told here constantly that these upstanding, reliable, outdoorsy, honest, people that are making these reports simply cannot be wrong. 

Uhm, 9,999 false reports equates to a whole lot of people being wrong.  I thought the prevailing wisdom here is that there is nothing in the reports to indicate that the witness was wrong?  Well that certainly cannot be the case if one agrees with Dr.Meldrums estimate. ...

I'm quite amazed here to be honest DM, it's just a comment, probably flippant too.

I have no idea why you're all over it like you are, it makes no sense for you to be.

Meldrum can't be right, surely that's clear ?

If one in ten thousands reports was kosher, the probability is that out of the remaining 9,999, many more would be kosher too, you can see that right ?

Tell me you understand that ?