Possible Bigfoot Log Shelter Found

georgerm

We were mushroom picking near Reedsport, Oregon, and I came across a low log shelter that could house one bigfoot. It's wide and low, and hard to spot from a distance. I drew a picture of it. I will get some pictures of it soon.

My opinion is it's probably a nonhuman shelter since it's really low, hard to spot, and there is no trash around the place. It's a few years old and some of the wood is partially decayed. It's not rain proof and must be a summer shelter.

post-447-0-60016000-1415596012_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Guest thermalman

If those logs, exhibited in your drawing, are as clean cut as you portray them, then the structure could easily have been constructed using any type of saw instrument a human would own and use. Likely a deer blind of sorts.

I am also interested in seeing the actual pictures. Depending on where you found this, it could have been made by a human as a temporary shelter by using a tarp to lay over the logs and the tarp packed back up and taken with the person. I would look around for some rocks or logs that may have been used to hold down the edges if a tarp was used. Was there any type of matting inside the shelter, like pine boughs, needles, or leaves? Cool find georgerm.

Very cool.  However, I think it will be hard pressed to eliminate human in this case.

Did you go inside?  Find any hair, tracks, scat, or other remnants?  It doesn't surprise me that there would be no trash if humans used it as I feel that hunters typically respect the land a bit more than your regular weekend warrior.  That, and trash=scent.

And finally, what types of mushrooms were you hunting and did you have any luck?

Guest JiggyPotamus

I think that the lack of any tool marks whatsoever would be relatively rare for a shelter constructed by a human. That is not to say it is impossible considering a human could use logs that could be found, but I wouldn't expect any abundance of thick logs to have been felled naturally. That is not to say that such trees do not come down and start to die, but I have never seen a thick bunch of them together. Perhaps with a bit of scouring one could collect enough of these logs to build such as shelter however. Definitely plausible. And it would be obvious if they had been chewed as well. I wonder how often such shelters are found by random individuals, who then attribute them to humans and never think twice about the find?

What piques my interest is the fact that there does not appear to be an abundance of such finds, yet one would expect that if every sasquatch had such a shelter, or multiple shelters, that they would be found on a relatively consistent basis. A possible explanation is one that I have proposed before, which is basically that the sasquatch "live" much deeper in the forests, yet roam outwards for food and thus approach nearer to human settlements. Yet in places like the forest where I had my sighting here in Texas, this is not possible. Half of the forest has a thicker human presence, although there is plenty of uninterrupted forestland, while the other half is more remote, but such structures are not found very often, if at all. Perhaps it has to do with the warmer climate found in this state, although the sasquatch would still have to brave sub-freezing temperatures multiple times every winter. In the PNW however there would be a greater need for shelter, although I am willing to bet they don't need it.

One thing that biology teaches us is the farther from the equator one goes, the larger the animals get. These larger animals, like polar bears for instance, are larger because they have to contend with lower temperatures. This is a fact. They also have a higher caloric need, but something that helps them get around this is the fact that they do not need to eat as often as smaller mammals. I suspect that bigfoot located in the PNW and Canada are built for the cold, and are thus grow larger. So with these ideas in mind there is actually a precedent for having smaller sasquatch in the south, closer to the equator. But it depends on how long they've been evolving and adapting to their environments. If sasquatch from the north only started moving south a hundred years ago for instance, one wouldn't expect them to have lost their adaptability to the northern climates. I imagine they've been in the south long enough for certain biological changes to have taken hold, but I cannot be certain. And then there is the fact that climates were not always as they are now in North America. That is another thing to consider, if the animals have been here for tens of thousands of years.

If they've been around since the last ice age, perhaps they moved south then, and only afterwards began moving northward again. Or perhaps many stayed in the colder northern climates, and thus could withstand even colder winters than they will experience now. Some of them could have moved south, either because of the climate or following the food. Without modern man in their way I imagine that sasquatch used to be much more dispersed. The claims of seeing bigfoot along the eastern coastline of North America by Viking explorers may suggest as much. The sasquatch's affinity for avoiding humans is likely something that started as soon as soon humans began encroaching on sasquatch habitat, and has likely continued to this day. Perhaps the bigfoot are retreating further and further into the depths of the forest. Almost anything is viable at this point, and until we prove the existence of the species and gather more data.

What I was implying earlier was simply that sasquatch likely does not have the need of shelter. Perhaps some sasquatch build shelters to be more comfortable, but not because they need them to survive. I would expect as much is sasquatch were intelligent, because as I've stated in the past "intelligence breeds diversity." We shouldn't expect all intelligent creatures to behave in the same manner, because not all are on an equal footing. When you are working purely off of instinct, then the footing is much more equal between animals of the same species.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

I am also interested in seeing the actual pictures. Depending on where you found this, it could have been made by a human as a temporary shelter by using a tarp to lay over the logs and the tarp packed back up and taken with the person. I would look around for some rocks or logs that may have been used to hold down the edges if a tarp was used. Was there any type of matting inside the shelter, like pine boughs, needles, or leaves? Cool find georgerm.

The ground was patted down, but no fir boughs. I didn't see rocks or wood to hold down a tarp. We thought human, but it was so low, and seemed to be hard to spot. I thought a human made shelter would be higher and more comfortable with a tarp over the top. I will go back and check it out more.

The way it was built seemed bigfoot like. Some of the logs were 18' long, and about 5" in diameter which made a  unusual design. The forest in that area is full of long blow down poles.

I think that the lack of any tool marks whatsoever would be relatively rare for a shelter constructed by a human. That is not to say it is impossible considering a human could use logs that could be found, but I wouldn't expect any abundance of thick logs to have been felled naturally. the area had quite a few 20 log like poles 3" to 8" diameter That is not to say that such trees do not come down and start to die, but I have never seen a thick bunch of them together. Perhaps with a bit of scouring one could collect enough of these logs to build such as shelter however. Definitely plausible. And it would be obvious if they had been chewed as well. no chewing I wonder how often such shelters are found by random individuals, who then attribute them to humans and never think twice about the find?

What piques my interest is the fact that there does not appear to be an abundance of such finds, yet one would expect that if every sasquatch had such a shelter, or multiple shelters, that they would be found on a relatively consistent basis. good point and this shelter makes me think human for this reason. It's about 1/4 mile from highway 101.   A possible explanation is one that I have proposed before, which is basically that the sasquatch "live" much deeper in the forests, yet roam outwards for food and thus approach nearer to human settlements. this could be a summer roaming shelter since mushroom pickers are absent then.  it's close to the beach. it looks like a deer blind. Yet in places like the forest where I had my sighting here in Texas, this is not possible. Half of the forest has a thicker human presence, although there is plenty of uninterrupted forestland, while the other half is more remote, but such structures are not found very often, if at all. Perhaps it has to do with the warmer climate found in this state, although the sasquatch would still have to brave sub-freezing temperatures multiple times every winter. In the PNW however there would be a greater need for shelter, although I am willing to bet they don't need it.

I will go back and look for hair. I went about 1/4 of the way inside and had to do a belly crawl.

Edited by georgerm

We were mushroom picking near Reedsport, Oregon, and I came across a low log shelter that could house one bigfoot. It's wide and low, and hard to spot from a distance. I drew a picture of it. I will get some pictures of it soon.

My opinion is it's probably a nonhuman shelter since it's really low, hard to spot, and there is no trash around the place. It's a few years old and some of the wood is partially decayed. It's not rain proof and must be a summer shelter.

I still say that if such a creature exist it will leave signs of environmental impact, bedding structures included. The structure you posted is interesting indeed. Even though it isn't rain proof now, it wouldn't take to much work to pile brush on the top of the structure to make it that way. You're probably looking at the skeleton. Humor me and check the parameter for piles of dead brush that might have been used to weatherize the structure or anything else unusual. Clues may still be around.

What type of terrain is the opening facing?

It's on a side hill and the opening faces the side hill. Mainly tall trees and patches of underbrush.

Guest lightheart

George, I used to think that those that live in my area always made their bedding areas in thick palmettos. I still think that but have also noticed that some are using downed trees with short sticks leaned up against the trunk and topped with brush. The weird thing is that I am wondering if the type of bed whether uprooted tree style or palmetto may be have something to do with status. The two big tree beds that I know about at least belonged to an older grandmother type and an alpha male. At this point it is just a rough possible conclusion that it has to do with status. I will continue to ponder this....

Hello Lightheat, and here are the pictures. Ick, I jerked the camera in the deep woods since the shutter speed was slowed down.

post-447-0-04856500-1415843958_thumb.jpg

post-447-0-28093400-1415844043_thumb.jpg

post-447-0-04861000-1415844133_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1