Bigfoot Chasing - Hostile Or Caring Acts?

Outside of this forum if people chase another bearing teeth not smiles, screaming not smiling throwing objects not attempting return something you lost, they would probably seen as hostile and confrontational. People make judgments based on their memory and experience through the lens of their own subjective eyes. Given the vast knowledge and experience you currently have on the topic, I would beseech anyone with questions on this topic to ask or weigh in with your own opinions.  

Chased or Charging Experiences & Encounters

--Huge bipedal creature chased boys out of gravel pit*MI

--7 foot Bigfoot ran parallel vehicle to partridge hunter’s car during daylight sighting*MI

--Bigfoot creature emerged from wood line chasing truck down road and throwing objects *MI

--Bigfoot screaming and thrashing through woods, screams, jabbering, chasing truck *MI

--Bigfoot type animal reportedly ran after horseback rider, keeping up with horse*MI

--Bipedal humanoid whistled and screamed at hunter before making two false charges*MI

--Chased inside house at night by 9 ft tall bipedal covered in black hair with 6 inch wide foot prints*MI

--Chased two snowmobilers letting out ear-piercing screams like a baby's cry*MI

--County Sheriff’s found a footprint, 18 by 6 in. near barn where person says they were chased inside*MI

--County Sheriff's on call about a man who shot at Bigfoot creature that ran at him*MI

--Cows became agitated, seen large white bipedal beast screaming chasing her in the house*MI

--Deer hunters respond to screams and it knocks tree down, tears out of woods charging forward*MI

--Discovers animal eating his cow was not a bear or anything he ever seen and it started chasing him*MI

--Dogs chasing deer yelped, seen dogs in panic with huge Bigfoot in full charge after them*MI

--Farmer went outside to see why his calf was bellowing and was charged by Bigfoot*MI

--Female getting hay from neighbor’s farm is chased home by a Bigfoot creature on two legs*MI

--Found "bear caves" and bone piles and chased and herded by two bi-pedal figures in woods*MI

--Fur covered human like biped seen leaning inside dumpster then chases after vehicle on two legs*MI

--Grabs his axe when very large gorilla like -man screaming with matted hair runs toward him*MI   

--Group shining for deer sees large figure stand up and started to run fast toward them*MI

--Hears screaming sees man running from woods with a large bipedal figure in close pursuit*MI 

--Homeowner outside smoking outside chased back inside by a rock thrown from woods*MI

--Horse stopped, frozen and nervous, as White Bigfoot running fast at them *MI

--Hunter chased inside his cabin by creature making deep chested bellowing screams*MI

--Hunter sees large upright creature run towards him, then turn through the brush in mock charge*MI

--Hunters see something big thrashing trees charging within 30 feet, and open fire*MI

--Hunting night crawlers hears low growl to high pitch scream and chased by tall animal to his garage*MI

--Hunting night crawlers hears low growl to high pitch scream and chased by tall animal to his garage*MI

--Kincheloe U.S. Air Force Base police chase strange apelike thing away from base into thick woods*MI

--Large bipedal figure chasing car on all fours at 40 mph*MI

--Large black animal chasing a GMC Jimmy at 30 mph bumping a foot to the right causing a dent*MI

--Observed Bigfoot beast chasing a car staying even or up to 75 feet at 25 to 30 mph*MI

--Police called children being chased out of the woods behind their house Bigfoot animal*MI

--Sheriff’s deputies called about massive 7-8 ft biped chasing kids home from bus stop*MI

--Startled hunters smell stink see a huge "thing" crashing through the woods like a freight train*MI

--Tall human-ape-like creature running on two legs kept pace with pickup truck at 39 MPH*MI

--Three young hunters were charged by a screaming 7 foot tall hominid creature *MI

--Two hairy Bigfoot creatures chased snowmobilers around the power lines *MI

--Two young terrified girls chased out of woods by large bipedal creature*MI

Edited by Gumshoeye

That's a no-brainer.   Neither.   It's mostly bluff.  

If they were truly hostile, truly meant harm, given that they're faster than us and bigger than us, they would catch us, not merely chase us.   They would also not merely be investigating our camps when we're vulnerable, they'd be killing us.    What it means, then, is that we got closer than they want us to be to something they care about ... but not enough to kill over.  

Shows considerable forbearance I'd say.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

People are arrested everyday across the U.S.A. for displaying the behavior so, should laws be modified or adjusted to allow for the very same display of behaviors?

If they were truly hostile, truly meant harm, given that they're faster than us and bigger than us, they would catch us, not merely chase us.   They would also not merely be investigating our camps when we're vulnerable, they'd be killing us.    What it means, then, is that we got closer than they want us to be to something they care about ... but not enough to kill over.  

MIB

Thanks MIB, as always very thoughtful.

Edited by Gumshoeye

People are arrested everyday across the U.S.A. for displaying the behavior so, should laws be modified or adjusted to allow for the very same display of behaviors?

I'd say no.    The comparison is invalid unless you expect them to be entirely human including being immersed in understandings of our cultural norms.    

Lacking a sophisticated shared communication protocol including complex ideas with many shades of gray, simpler and simpler communication mechanisms are necessary until something shared is found.   In this case, since they can't tell us to mosey back across the meadow away from their kids, they chase us instead.   It works because they are bigger making us FEEL threatened enough by their potential to comply, not because they truly intend harm.

The rest of your question ... PM if you wish.   My views there go instantly to politics. 

MIB

Personally, i concur with MIB regarding alteration of the civil codes, and, even if it were to reach that point, there would quite a few laws or codes more pressing to be addressed such as just how much hair/fur covering is required to avoid public nudity charges? And current stalking/stalker laws would need attention, what with their appearent proclivity for stealth and covert observation.

As for the nature of the potentially hostile behaviors, listed above, there are a number of possible alternative motivations/interpretations for each. With the bluff charges, it may very well be akin to what one might do upon finding raccoons going through the garbage, ya give 'em the mean look, if they fail to grasp your intent, ya start walking up to them, presuming they'll take off once you get closer. I dont think many in that initial situation plan on actually going up and grabbing the critter to give it the what for, but rather just mean for scare them off with a display of size and angry looks/explicatives, maybe even some exaggerated gestures with ones various limbs, but not to engage in actual physical conflict (though i gave a few of them fellows a good trouncing in my day....) with the interlopers.

Now, with the running along side vehicles, that i find intrigueing. Maybe if you could move that fast you'd want to show folks too! Perhaps cars, being mostly contained to roadways, present a somewhat predictable racing opponent. Of course this behavior may be amazing example of their reputed sense of humor, and they're simply "messing with the pinks" now and then. It would be fascinating to learn if this was done by individuals(imagine a group of them running along with your car!) of a certain age bracket or social role/position within a group.

Just a thought or two.......

In any event, being charged by a large animal whether on foot or in a car wouldn’t be a pleasant experience …  

That I agree with.   It would test the spirit and strength of a person's convictions about what was happening. 

My personal plan if "charged" is to sit down.   It's my best "ok, put up or shut up."    Obviously I can't flee but I'm also not escalating the situation by counter-attacking.   All I need is an opportunity to test the plan ... and probably clean underwear for afterwards. 

MIB

BFF Patron

Well having had a lost digital sound recorder returned I can vouch for they seem to have a sense of property and owner and how to make that property reconnect with same without being too obvious.  Others have had these same experiences.  Material lost is usually left in a designated nearby place of interest and made clearly visible or marked somehow.

My gift in return to the place the material was left--- trace minerals in the form of a trophy rock.  They didn't make off with the "rock" but I assume got some use from it as did local wildlife obviously. 

As often or more often than a bluff charge and aggression is a simple--- "I know you are there" and a turn around and departure.  Experienced one of those in dense cover in a streambed with a young one in tow obviously one day, which may make a difference as to "attitude" as I was on the high ground. 

Edited by bipedalist

Based on what we suspect, have read, and in the cases where our members have shared personal encounters, I don't think there is enough evidence to lay a blanket statement over this question and say what their intent is every time.

I can say this; were a BF chasing me I would hope I was well armed or dang close to safety. I wouldn't want to also be testing the who is faster question, I think we do have enough info for that. I think it has been demonstrated that their intellect is substantial, and that they could be chasing, charging or otherwise acting in a threatening manner for a variety of reasons.

For me, each individual situation would require an individual evaluation, which would be based on the totality of the circumstances of the encounter.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I agree with other posters that if bigfoot wanted to hurt us they would have no problem doing so. They could catch us, and they could end our lives in the blink of an eye. Therefore it is logical that such displays are meant as warnings, probably with the intent of making us leave a specific area. I do think that occasionally there will be a bigfoot who will take things too far, or who will get too angry and actually inflict harm on a human. I would bet that it has happened at some point in the past. Temperaments likely differ between individuals, and the provocation threshold should also differ. At least I would expect as much. You can take two individual wild animals who seem identical in all respects, but place each of them in the same situation and one might react more severely than the other. Some people who keep wild animals as pets have bad experiences, while others do not.

Standard garden-variety ape intimidation displays, repeatedly recorded for the ones we know about.

MIB

Astounding forbearance. I have never read a report of a sasquatch that would have failed to catch the people it was chasing...including people fleeing with bikes...and motors.

I think rock throwing and making sounds is like "we are here, your kinda close but we got kids and a life too y'know.  Will keep tossing stuff to keep you up all night because you annoy the heck out of our picnic too".

I think the bluff charging (like many) is "go away RIGHT NOW and no flash photography!".

Now how many people are non-bluff charged....   I don't think they report or do anything ever again.

I think rock throwing and making sounds is like "we are here, your kinda close but we got kids and a life too y'know.  Will keep tossing stuff to keep you up all night because you annoy the heck out of our picnic too".

I think the bluff charging (like many) is "go away RIGHT NOW and no flash photography!".

Now how many people are non-bluff charged....   I don't think they report or do anything ever again.

Good point. One of things that I sought to do with this thread is provoke thought on how we seem to hold two separate ideas of acceptability that leaves one for animals, the other for human kind. After working the streets for a while you see no blurring of the line, no confusion of mock charges or aggression and no mistaking what people judge as hostile and confrontational actions.  

If we disentangle the two entirely separate actions an animal charging and man charging and walk away as many witnesses have, we would have less crime on the streets ….

In my limited experience in civil society people do not wait for authorities as they may dealing with Bigfoot, to weigh-in and play the of peace maker therefore, the law enforcement we see today is largely reactive and proactive. Meaning they are called after the fact when people are dead or injured. If you or anyone else walked to a stranger and mocked charged them two things would: A. Fight or B. Jail

When I read reports of these large ominous bipedal animals charging people many times on private property I wonder why people do not also discount a strangers mock charge and leave rather than fight back or worse. In either event the action is hostile and confrontational.  

Hikers (while taking a break munching on a granola bar):  "Wait, look!  There's bigfoot!"

Bigfoot:  [starts chasing hikers]

Hikers:  "RUN!"

Bigfoot:  [reaches hikers and grabs a hold of them]:  "You dropped your granola bar wrapper"

Point being, has anyone ever ASKED the bigfoot why he/she was chasing them?