Bigfoot Chasing - Hostile Or Caring Acts?

Well, the people that ran still have their heads and can report.

I don't know if I could tell if a mountain of a beast charging me was bluffing or not - if it wasn't a bluff, I don't believe you'd be getting a report from those people.

If I have time to think at all in a charge situation I would know my climbing a tree wouldn't help 'cause they can too or jumping in a lake 'cause they probably can swim.  I think fire might be the only thing.  If I shoot it, its buddies show up and finish the job.  I'd probably be thinking to give it what it wants - which is going away quickly.

I don't think you face certain death from contact - a charge might be their gentlest way of communicating "go away".  "Caring" from the POV that it made you go away without harming you.

Anyway my $0.02

• Upvote 2

^^^

MA - The point here is that in spite of all the explanations why something as wild a massively large would charge another is fraught with hostile not caring intent. It certainly wasn’t charging to offer up gift cards or candy to an individual. While the reports don’t seem to show conclusively that all charges result in physical attack, it does point quite convincingly to an unpredictable carnal will to act at any opportunity and you (we in general terms) don’t get to choose what day that is.

Guest lightheart

Gumshoe,

I think there is a marked difference between being irritated and malevolent.

If you woke up and someone was standing in your bedroom your first impulse would probably be to charge the intruder. Well I accidentally disturbed what I believe was an older one's bedding spot under a downed tree. I was bent over looking under the roots (still on the trail) and she came charging by within what I would say was 3 feet. When she went by my left cheek and ear were buzzed. I did not run I stood my ground ( although it happened so fast maybe I just didn't have time to react). I sort of got the feeling she was a bit irritated with me but did not get the feeling that she meant to do me harm. Actually it felt me like she had a fear of humans and I startled or frightened her. She could have done any number of things but it seems that she was just trying to get away unseen. It happened so fast that all I saw was a grayish blur streaking past me. Kind of hard to focus on the visual with my face buzzing.

I have actually been bluff charged in the halls of an American high school by a young African American student who thought he could intimidate me by charging up to within a foot of my face. I stood my ground in that instance as well. He veered off at the last minute.......

I think you take yourself wherever you go......and that holds true even for interactions with Sasquatch. I am a person of goodwill and great sensitivity. I can also have a spine of steel if I need to.

Lighheart,

Thank you for the post, I enjoyed reading two fine examples of your experiences and it made me think back on some of my own mainly in life and not necessarily related to Bigfoot per se. I suppose it’s the near misses of the encounter that could keep me on the edge of my seat, but when it does occur for me it is a deliberate act of creating something that can have more than one meaning. That's when it’s their time stay as you suggested quite well, or leave their gumbo behind… Good post!

Guest lightheart

The other thing is that I missed a really important indicator the morning of the close experience ( the bigfoot one ha ha). There was a well- constructed "gate" made of branches across the trail about 20 feet before the spot of the incident. I crossed it even though my inner warning was going off. It was really hot that morning and I was out of water and probably not being as alert as I should have been. I will NEVER do that again.....no matter what. I have always felt kinda bad about it. I should have read the clues better and turned around. It was a good lesson....one I won't forget

Not ever having been charged by a BF, I can't say how I would react. However, if I can resist the temptation to bolt, I'd stand my ground. Simply because it seems to work with bluff charges from other animals. Of course, there is the inherent risk that it's not a bluff charge. I suppose that would make me an almost instant candidate for the next Missing 411 book.

Since all of the charging encounter, I've heard of, are all anedotal in nature, it leaves a lot of room for speculation as to the motives of the creatures taking part in these displays.

Conventional wisdom would dictate Bigfoot are no different than any other animal, including humans, in they would rather scare away a perceived threat than risk injury through a direct assault. Granted, this conventional wisdom idea clashes with the theory that Bigfoot are very shy and reclusive animals that avoid man and any risk of encounter at all cost.

I find it hard to accept that BF are shy and reclusive but may bluff charge under certain circumstances. One can argue that BFs are all different and some are shy and some are openly aggressive. However, it would also stand to reason that the more aggressive ones would also be more reckless, therefor increasing the chances of getting caught on camera or getting shot to death by a cool headed hunter.

Some would argue they're like bears in they avoid man but will stand and defend their territory. This makes no sense either because bears that defend their territories tend to also get filmed, photographed, shot, tranquilized or simply attract a lot of attention.

It makes more sense to me, that BF charge under certain situations but the charge is the real thing and the person being charged is soon to join the ranks of the other unlucky lost souls in the Missing 411 books.

I simply can't see bluff charges being a common behavioral trait of creatures that have based their success in avoiding encounters at all cost.

^^^

MA - The point here is that in spite of all the explanations why something as wild a massively large would charge another is fraught with hostile not caring intent. It certainly wasn’t charging to offer up gift cards or candy to an individual. While the reports don’t seem to show conclusively that all charges result in physical attack, it does point quite convincingly to an unpredictable carnal will to act at any opportunity and you (we in general terms) don’t get to choose what day that is.

Once again that point really didn't have anything to do with my post.

If sasquatch exist then Imho they would be no different than a grizzly bear

• 2 weeks later...