Class B Sighting Threshold

MNskeptic

Apparently, on another BF website I just checked, you've had a class B encounter if you hear something in the dark, smell an odor, and have a creepy feeling all at the same time. Geez, that's a pretty low standard, isn't it?

MNSkeptic

• Upvote 1

â€To see what is in front of one’s nose, needs a constant struggle.†- George Orwell

Good thread Mn Skeptic!

My guess is your objection here is either not understood or intentionally misdirecting the point since they are typically specific sounds rather than somebody simply just heard something in the dark, as your opening statement implies. Many familiar with Bigfoot arguably associate with their presence with multiple factors not usually with a singular event.  The attempt to distract the viewers from the power of the analogy by leading your supposition infers class B encounters are low standards since all is necessary is to hear something in the dark cannot be factually correct.

If you have a bathroom fan it’s there to serve a purpose, it’s fair to say if it’s in your house or place of abode you own it or have custodial control over it when using it. You’re familiar with it and everything that goes on there including the smells, and the placement of all tangible objects. So, while I am hard pressed to find any skeptic to deny that point, there should be no vast gulf between “who dunnit’s,†and no mystery as to the origin of smells in your private space but when outdoors coupled with other obvious indications such as vocalizations and feelings associated with Bigfoot it becomes a whole new matter.

The irony, of course, is that it is precisely what skeptics refuse to acknowledge, while they are likely themselves to have and use bathroom exhaust fans to serve a purpose they alone can personally identify yet, a strong sudden and unusual odor outdoors likely does not exist, but clearly it does in the privacy of their own residence demonstrating a choice to distract us from the power of the analogy. Skeptics are also likely to have curtains or blinds on the windows and close at night for what purpose, I would guess for privacy to avoid those overwhelming feelings of being watched or cellphones to call for help when something shakes the daylights out of trees and growls at them.   - Just my opinion of course and others may differ.  :-)   Plus 1

Edited by Gumshoeye

That standard seems a lot higher when there's something in your yard that suddenly smells like sewer & rotten meat, tosses rocks on your roof, howls loud enough to rattle the windows & your bones, & leaves your muscles feeling like mush.

I have to admit to not feeling too creepy about it anymore though.....

https://soundcloud.com/sasfooty/934-2-24-howler

Oh and don't forget the "humming noise."  It sounds and feels like a gigantic engine with a low humming surrounded my house.  It shook the doors and windows on the back of my house.  I was on the phone with a friend at 2:30am.  In midsentence I had to say something......ran all over the back of the house.  Nothing inside or outside that would have caused the noise.  It was not windy, it was warm and clear outside.

Sheesh..........

MNSkeptic, it's been so long that there has been any good or believable evidence that this creature in fact exists that we all latch on to anything that resembles proof.  While I'm not holding my breath, hopefully something happens soon that gets everything back on track.  

t.

â€To see what is in front of one’s nose, needs a constant struggle.†- George Orwell

Good thread Mn Skeptic!

My guess is your objection here is either not understood or intentionally misdirecting the point since they are typically specific sounds rather than somebody simply just heard something in the dark, as your opening statement implies. Many familiar with Bigfoot arguably associate with their presence with multiple factors not usually with a singular event.  The attempt to distract the viewers from the power of the analogy by leading your supposition infers class B encounters are low standards since all is necessary is to hear something in the dark cannot be factually correct.

If you have a bathroom fan it’s there to serve a purpose, it’s fair to say if it’s in your house or place of abode you own it or have custodial control over it when using it. You’re familiar with it and everything that goes on there including the smells, and the placement of all tangible objects. So, while I am hard pressed to find any skeptic to deny that point, there should be no vast gulf between “who dunnit’s,†and no mystery as to the origin of smells in your private space but when outdoors coupled with other obvious indications such as vocalizations and feelings associated with Bigfoot it becomes a whole new matter.

The irony, of course, is that it is precisely what skeptics refuse to acknowledge, while they are likely themselves to have and use bathroom exhaust fans to serve a purpose they alone can personally identify yet, a strong sudden and unusual odor outdoors likely does not exist, but clearly it does in the privacy of their own residence demonstrating a choice to distract us from the power of the analogy. Skeptics are also likely to have curtains or blinds on the windows and close at night for what purpose, I would guess for privacy to avoid those overwhelming feelings of being watched or cellphones to call for help when something shakes the daylights out of trees and growls at them.   - Just my opinion of course and others may differ.  :-)   Plus 1

This will henceforth be known as "the fart fan analogy".

BFF Patron

I have to agree with MNskeptic on this. The Class A / B system is too simplistic to be useful. I have previously published a 5 level system that ramps up with supporting evidence. For example, I think a rating system where a sound from the woods with a footprint found later at the same location is more important than a sound without any other evidence.

Apparently, on another BF website I just checked, you've had a class B encounter if you hear something in the dark, smell an odor, and have a creepy feeling all at the same time. Geez, that's a pretty low standard, isn't it?

MNSkeptic

Well, this is why I say "read the reports."  And it's also why I say "you need the software."  Which doesn't, unfortunately, come installed.  The user has to do it.

I know (I'm almost certain) that it's this report.  http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=45976 That's about as solid an encounter as one can have, not seeing one.  I have read many of those, each one with specific nuance so no we're not looking at copycats here.  I recognized a likely encounter as soon as I'd read it.  Your one-line tossoff does no justice to the report.  Here's the question for you:  if the guy isn't flat lying, and everything described happened...what would you say caused it?

*That's the only question relevant.*  Or you just think he's lying.  A chimp or gorilla researcher in Africa would report a probable encounter with the target species, with extreme confidence.  All you need to know.

One has to apply judgment acquired over long periods of doing relevant stuff in relevant places.  No known NA animal species is likely to have generated a report like this; and a human?  Not likely, at all.  So.  He's lying or hallucinating, take your pick; and if you hold out that possibility and consider it a disqualifier, then all reports go on the trash heap.  That, anyone who actually reads them and has installed the software can tell you, is an utterly unacceptable solution.

("It stank!!!!  It made noises!!!!!!!  It was LOUD!!!!!!!!!  It was the worst smelling thing I ever smelled!!!!!  It shook trees and bushes and stuff!!!!!!  TOSS that one.  Copycat.)

I have to agree with MNskeptic on this. The Class A / B system is too simplistic to be useful. I have previously published a 5 level system that ramps up with supporting evidence. For example, I think a rating system where a sound from the woods with a footprint found later at the same location is more important than a sound without any other evidence.

I really don't pay any attention to rating systems.  Yes, they will differ.  The report is all that matters to me.  Given what I read, what are the likely culprits...if one can presume he isn't lying or hallucinating?  I prefer using *my* rating system, which is "on the pile/not on the pile."  It's all you need.

I see a lot of people thinking, still, that we can tease truth out of eyewitness accounts.  We can't.  It's pointless.  It's time to get into the field and confirm.  Ten-four.

SSR Team

I'm not a fan of Class A or Class B.

They have a wonderful database, no doubt, but they don't have the final say on how a report should be defined or classified IMO.

Of course they can do what they like where their own website and database is concerned but I don't think people should call "Class A" and "Class B" religiously like so many do.

For me it's all about actual visual sightings, track/print finds, vocalisations/knocks/possible comms.

I've read thousands of a BFRO reports, and there are those that contradict the definition of their own system that I can't make hide nor hair out of why report y is a Class A and not a Class B and why report x makes a Class B and not a Class A.

The "Sasquatch Definitive Terminology" book doesn't exist yet.

BFF Patron

This will get some dander up. My problem with the BFRO is that they seem to vet or evaluate reports without ever interviewing the submitter. I wonder how that is possible.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

^^^

Agree w/BobbyO that what's more critical is an objective system (visual, tracks, odor) of identifying the nature of an encounter than a subjective one; the BFRO has some visual encounters listed as B's and some non-visual encounters listed as A's.  Of course other sites just put their reports out there w/no characterization - just the facts, such as they are reported or related.

SSWA,

To the extent that I've read BFRO reports, most but the oldest have some sort of follow-up investigation reported.  Is it perhaps some other group you're thinking of? Just curious. 

Admin

BFRO has a Class "C" category as well, but they are generally not listed for public consumption.

The classification system is described here:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/classify.asp

This will get some dander up. My problem with the BFRO is that they seem to vet or evaluate reports without ever interviewing the submitter. I wonder how that is possible.

Are you kidding me?  Go back to the BFRO site and read their reports.  Look at the bottom.  I don't think any BFRO report gets published without vetting and an interview.

I was GRILLED for almost 2 hours.   What does it take to meet your standards?   Naked lightbulbs?  Sodium pentothal?  Burning pine slivers under the fingernails?  Staked out naked on an anthill? 

Geesh.  

MIB

• Upvote 1