What About The Bones?

BigTreeWalker

Well, "outed by name" is what is called in science "getting credit."  I'd take it.  But it certainly says something about bigfoot research.  You should have found something by now!  Why haven't you found something?!??!!?  Well, maybe it has something to do with having to worry about being "outed by name."

The truly sad thing about the likely reaction to this research from those-who-would-not-know is eminently predictable.  To these individuals, all evidence is siloed against the necessity of actually having to acknowledge correlations or offer plausible alternative conclusions other than, "Nuuuh-uh!". This is not likely to be an exception, I'm afraid.  The exceptionalism of the omnipotent and skilled hoaxer is always the go-to for them.  Character assassination will come hard on the heels of these findings, you can bet. For those who are trying hard to connect dots, these findings give us a lot to ponder. Thanks again for brining it here.

We expect for us and the paper to get ripped apart. It comes with the territory. I imagine that it will be by the less knowledgeable about this type of evidence. We do have quite a bit in our research which will pique the interest of paleoanthropoligists. Especially since this is an extant rather than extinct organism leaving this evidence of bone modification.

It is actually kind of depressing that "scientists," when asked why they don't take this seriously, tick off the same lame dismissals I'd expect from the garbageman...and no one calls them on it.

And hominid, not primate bite impressions here DWA. How cool is that? It seems to.be.one more tic mark on that side of the ledger.

I have to admit we were able to go further with our conclusions than I thought we could. All based on comparable characteristics.

And hominid, not primate bite impressions here DWA. How cool is that? It seems to.be.one more tic mark on that side of the ledger.

Well, hominids *are* primates, and if I am keeping up with the nomenclature the tag now includes our ape cousins.  

There's a whole bunch of "We will see" here, which makes it simultaneously two things:  one of the true cutting edges of science and one where the layman with good head software can get in on the ground floor.  Which makes the lack of attention by the folks who should, en masse, be paying it all the more shame.

Well....if I thought that when you say "primate" as the probable Linnaean classification for BF you are including hominids I wouldn't make the point.  But I know you don't.

But, but.  We could be talking a pongid with hominid chompers. Too cool.

Exactly.  I am very down for the new taxon, the thing that says, hey, not an ape, not a human...more like....this.

I could easily see extending an "extinct" taxon into the present...and I could easily see something else.

I keep coming back to just the proven reality of how with enough adaptive pressure, and enough time, organisms do some amazing things. We also know not all genes react at the same rates. Some (like canine  ones, for instance) are malleable to an extent we might not have imagined before we looked more closely. Whatever is possible within the physical limits of body morphology...and we are continually surprised by how those limits can be stretched...will occur if given an adaptive pressure to go there. 

We sometimes might lose sight of the fact that for another hominid species WE are probably that adaptive pressure. Like a lot of things H.Sapiens do too, we go all-in, even when we probably don't even know we are doing it, even as we also adapt in turn. Although I've never subscribed to the Human Puppet Master theory of BF origins, I have no problem imagining a much more indirect influence with nothing more than from the good old Darwinian pressures we bring from just being the murderous locust horde we are.   Any life form with the sense to stay out of our way will have that tendency reinforced over the millennia. What better adaptive strategy for surviving along side of H. Sapiens is there than just, "Stay away from them at all costs?"  

When you can't kill, breed or starve a competitor out of the game (and they have to know this by now), you are left with only this.  You can get very good at this, and the genes select to get better and better. 

• Upvote 1

With, still, the propensity to make mistakes and lots of them for totally mundane reasons:  curiosity, hunger, gotta rest a bit here, thought they were all in bed! etc.  Why a hiker ferpetesake shot a wolverine photo in the Sierra that probably gobsmacked the world wolverine research community.  http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/living/pets/article2574860.html

There's nothing particularly unusual, really, about this animal, the yeti, the orang pendek, etc.  We think there is because we are so **** weird there *couldn't* be anything close to us.

Yep, nobody is perfect. 

I would have to say too, the consequences for those kinds of screw-ups may not be as great as maybe they once were. If you were a BF in the first millennia B.C. and got spotted scavenging a kill by your local H.Sapien citizens, you could probably count on a Lovelock Cave kind of pogrom coming to you very soon.  We just reign supreme at collectively organizing mayhem and pointing it towards a perceived threat. If anyone has ever read the narratives of racially motivated lynchings in the 19th and early 20th century America, you get a real sense of how collectively lethal we can be at the drop of a hat. For something "like" us, but obviously an "other?" Oooh boy, I'm betting it happens before the hat even hits the floor. I'm thinking all the modern day BF has on its side is the element of shock and surprise. We seem to have forgotten what to do in those instances, but the thousands of reports of the critter turning on its heels and getting gone seems to indicate its memory is not as short as ours.  At the least they probably could count on a group of armed men with dogs and flashlights beating the bushes for some period. Not something you want to provoke, even if lethality is not likely.  Proven adaptive strategy in action.

I could easily see extending an "extinct" taxon into the present...and I could easily see something else.

The more southern booger stuff I see, florida and texas in particular, the more I think giganto and orang lineage. Probable asian links. Sounds an awful lot that that's what Bipto is chasing too.

Not sure we've dug up anything pattyish yet, though could have ancestors that we won't recognise until we have the modern taxon described and the "missing link" dug up. 

At the least they probably could count on a group of armed men with dogs and flashlights beating the bushes for some period. Not something you want to provoke, even if lethality is not likely.  Proven adaptive strategy in action.

There seems to be a lot of implication of that kind of response in the 19th century news archives. Don't have access to them now but read a lot on BFF 1.0.

Yep, nobody is perfect. 

Hear that, bigfoot skeptics?  Hey, reminders never hurt.  All yer boyz there aren't putting on their science hats, *unless you can show us - like we show you - that they are.*  OK off soapbox...:-D

I would have to say too, the consequences for those kinds of screw-ups may not be as great as maybe they once were. If you were a BF in the first millennia B.C. and got spotted scavenging a kill by your local H.Sapien citizens, you could probably count on a Lovelock Cave kind of pogrom coming to you very soon. 

Yup.  We let the local fauna have their eats now.  (Particularly when it's bigfoot eating livestock.  "Yeah, animal control?  Thanks....I meant it!  I saw it!  B-I-G..."  Happens all the time, huh.)  Once we said:  hey, those are our eats!

We just reign supreme at collectively organizing mayhem and pointing it towards a perceived threat. If anyone has ever read the narratives of racially motivated lynchings in the 19th and early 20th century America, you get a real sense of how collectively lethal we can be at the drop of a hat. For something "like" us, but obviously an "other?" Oooh boy, I'm betting it happens before the hat even hits the floor.

Shoot, I think bear behavior around humans can be explained by:  hurt one, and 50 come after you.  No excuse for the mama bear I ran across Saturday not to kick my butt and feed the kids to boot!  Nothing.  Why.  Not kicking that nest, kids!  Get.In.Tree.NOW.

I'm thinking all the modern day BF has on its side is the element of shock and surprise. We seem to have forgotten what to do in those instances, but the thousands of reports of the critter turning on its heels and getting gone seems to indicate its memory is not as short as ours.  At the least they probably could count on a group of armed men with dogs and flashlights beating the bushes for some period. Not something you want to provoke, even if lethality is not likely.  Proven adaptive strategy in action.

They're doing, in short...just what bears do.  Yep, Patty too.  I've had more than a couple bears leave my vicinity just like that.