Cascades Carnivore Project - How Do They Miss The Bigfoots?

kitakaze

Not game cam footage, but some video purported to be from Mt. St. Helens that is rather nifty...

Ha ha, that was cute. Original!

Admin

Wow, this statement has no bearing on fact.

Have you ever seen a tranquilization effort?

Not all animals that are captured, tagged and studied are tranquilized. Most are trapped.

Edited by gigantor

Admin

Gigantor, because an animal has bee tagged and collared does not mean it is unafraid of humans. Indeed, it can well be the opposite.

Yeah, but they have been exposed to humans and desensitized.

Edited by gigantor

Not all animals that are captured, tagged and studied are tranquilized. Most are trapped.

I am no wildlife biologist, but just from a logistical standpoint, how do you fit a radio or GPS collar, take a blood sample, and weigh this animal here without sedating it?

black_wolf_.jpg

Not game cam footage, but some video purported to be from Mt. St. Helens that is rather nifty...

Here's an iso on the subject. (click to animate)

post-337-047083500 1305156977_thumb.gif

Guest BitterMonk

I am no wildlife biologist, but just from a logistical standpoint, how do you fit a radio or GPS collar, take a blood sample, and weigh this animal here without sedating it?

Chuck Norris. That's how.

chucknorris3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Admin

I said "not all". You're good at word games...

Word games? You said...

So how do you fit a collar on, weigh, and take a blood sample from an adult timberwolf with out sedating it? A few, some, not all, most, whatever - how do you do it? Do you try something like Monk's suggestion and kick it in the beans or what?

BTW, these are cougars, not wolves. But check out what these badass scientist cowboys do to get a collar on a cougar...

Crazy mofo goes right up the tree with the 150 cougar in it one-handed with a tranq gun in the other. Cougar doesn't want anything to do with the guy because it's been tranqed before. Much craziness ensues.

Supposedly BF's have been twice on Google Earth cameras as the cars drove by. I saw one photo taken from Ohio and I liked it. It seems the BF was curious about the car with the camera and came out to look at it.

I would like to hand it to the skeptics here though. While I am a believer, this is a very disturbing problem. Indeed, with all the game and trail cams out there, how come we can't get a shot of a BF? It's very unsettling from to the Believer Camp.

One argument is that the BF's figure out these cameras and avoid the flashes. They are said to emit some kind of low frequency sounds that the BF's can hear and the BF's then just steer clear of. Makes about as much sense as any other theory.

One thing I have learned about Bigfootery is that so much just does not make sense. BF itself makes no sense. Believers' arguments don't make sense. Skeptics arguments don't make sense. Nothing seems to make much sense. But increasingly, my view is something like, "The impossible is true."

any links on those pics?

Yeah, but they have been exposed to humans and desensitized.

Are you suggesting that the process of tranquilizing a large carnivore and fitting it with a radio collar somehow makes the animal less fearful of humans?

Admin

I'm just messing with Kit because he's so gung-ho, it's funny to see him get all bent out of shape and argue about every little detail. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Tontar

BFS, about that dumpster diving location, can you tell me where it was? I'd be interested to know the location, I know the Seattle area pretty well.

About those wolverines being so rare. I honestly didn't know how rare they are supposed to be in the area until after I did a bit of research after finding one dead on the road between Elbe and Morton last year. Only then did I realize they weren't supposed to be where I found that one!

Oh, and yet another rare and mysterious creature is the mountain beaver. We've had at least two in our "yard" in the past 4 years since we built our house, one of them I captured and kept for the night for observation. Funky little critters, not especially lovely looking, and since seeing the first one and figuring out what they were, I've seen and photographed several (live and road killed).

Yesterday we were out hiking the forests between Morton and St. Helens, discussing the problems with bigfoots existing with so few tangible sightings, straining our ears and eyes trying to find even the slightest hint they were around. We didn't see any forest people, but plenty of bald eagles, coyote poop, elk and deer tracks, turkey vultures, ravens, cedar waxwings, and on and on. Lots of critters out, but no sign of bigfoot, again.

About those wolves becoming accustomed to people. Last I heard, wolves have been decimated by humans wanting to kill every last one of them. Wolves get shot by people all the time. So, when I see people talk about bigfoots becoming wary of humans and learning to avoid them, avoid detection by trail cams and all that, I wonder why wolves, who have been nearly extincted by humans have not developed the cunning ability that bigfoots have. I doubt that bigfoots have been hunted and shot at nearly the pace as wolves have. Likewise, deer and an awful lot of others species have been hunted without mercy by humans, and yet they have never developed the ability to avoid the dreaded human killer. Why would bigfoot develop that kind of avoidance to such a perfect level when it was not a prey animal to humans.

“Our research is aimed at shedding light on wolverine presence in the South Cascades.†Cascades Carnivore Project

BF is not their focus.

“why do all the efforts of wildlife biologists and other professionals labouring long and hard to detect and survey rare and elusive carnivores in the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges fail to turn up an evidence at all of what would be one of the largest and certainly most important species there?†Kit

It’s really not a big mystery why BF has not shown up on the “camera traps.â€

1. The Cascades Carnivore project is focusing on filming wolverines and foxes and not BFs. The cameras are not set up to capture BFs that have different habits and paths.

2. BFs and wolverines may be equally as rare. However BF is probably 100 times more intelligent and wary of humans which makes them 100 times harder to trap with cameras.

3. Are the cameras set up at eye level where they can be easily seen by BF? Yes, look at the pictures posted.

4. Are the cameras camoflauged with real vegetation, insulated for sound and wiped down with natural scents designed to mask human scents? Doubt it.

5. How many cameras are in operation and set up wrong? 100, 300, 1000? Are they top of the line silent cameras?

6. Are primate biologist leading this operation? No

Bob Dingethal

Executive Director

Bob recently served as president of Stinger Consulting, a public affairs/public relations and communications consultancy based in Vancouver, Washington. Preceding that, Bob served as the SW Washington regional director for US Senator Maria Cantwell. Bob’s previous career included twenty years as a senior executive in the telecommunications

industry and co-founder/co-owner of SandHill Winery and Red Mountain Vineyards.

7. I don’t want to demean the Gifford Pinchot Task Force, but the staff is not composed of primate biologist but good Americans who have taken on the logging industry. Their goal is not to find BF. Their history page lists a noble effort to stop timber harvest from destroying the forest ecosystem. Hats off to them. Read about their real focus and it’s not capturing BF on film.

http://www.gptaskfor...g/about/history

Edited by georgerm

A series of trail cam photos from Parks Canada sequenced into a video and posted on this forum shows the wolves looking at the camera consistently. If a wolf "makes" the camera, why can't a sasquatch do the same, possibly before being photographed?

• masterbarber locked this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic