Does Scent Really Matter?

Painthorse

Why whack the cats and not the hens? Just a w.a.g., but hens are a great alarm system, as you probably know, and might have value to a furtive critter like a BF. Cats just slink around and are not at all useful. Plus, they might taste really, really good. (Apparently, not "just like chicken" either) 

Well, they have been observed on at least one occasion eating a cat, so we have that.

@DWA, I just remembered an old report I took probably back in 2007 or 08, I'm pretty sure I wrote about it on the old bff. It was out of Eagle Town, Ok. "BUT" ya know how some reports just seem "Too over the top?". This one was situated in an area that was extremely remote < I knew the person whose cousin had permission to hunt that property and spoke with him first and then the property owner> They supposedly had no air conditioning and would leave their windows and "doors open" even at night. The husband was woke by hearing the kitchen faucet going and thinking that one of the kids left it going got up to turn it off. When he flipped the light on there was supposedly a b/f with a snout drinking from the faucet and it bailed out the door. "I thought OKAYYYYY, lol. They also had cats coming up missing and they would hear the cats screaming. One evening she said she put the cat food out just outside the kitchen window and within a couple minutes she heard a cat scream, looked outside and saw the same snout nosed b/f holding the dead cat like a water melon and eating it!!! IT JUST SEEMED TOO OVER THE TOP that I never drove out there to do an onsite investigation. Maybe I should have. But really??????

Aside from the "snout" (?), which, well, facial profiles differ and when you're seeing something you don't expect...I am actually not surprised, at any of this.  

There are reports of the animals trying (fortunately locked) doorknobs.  There is at least one report of a smash-and-grab of trash bags left inside a screen door.  Pretty sure that the animal in this case didn't say, hey faucet let's drink up, but it could have chanced on the 'solution' and known water when it saw it.  If you leave your door open, and something with hands gets into your house...stuff can happen.  If a chimp did it, how stunned would we be?

And maybe the cats aren't all going to the mountain lions coyotes and bobcats.

The cat-chomp report I am aware of was a wee graphic; the witness noted the entrails spilling out of the body that was held by its hind legs (I believe) by the animal eating it (one of two as I recall).  The account is in Bindernagel:  http://www.amazon.com/North-Americas-Great-Ape-Misunderstood/dp/0968288707/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432057242&sr=1-2&keywords=bindernagel

OMG, that's just too much. I thought they just killed the cats and dogs that annoyed them, but I guess when you're hungry you grab what's there...

Painthorse, you might also look into devices you could use from inside. Search for low-light and security DVRs. There are many choices of inexpensive electronics available.

@DWA, we've had the door knob jiggle when we were not home and a guest was here. She called me on the cell phone completely freaking out. She thought it was us, looked outside and no one was there. This was during daylight hours. So who knows, lol.

Don't know what to make of the cat issues other than it is disturbing!

JKH, the pic shows the surveillance system we've been using. Has IR and audio. The cameras are not wireless and am going to have to order extra cable to run the distance we need, with what we have now it would easily cover where the void is but we would have to move the trailer.

Even if it's a bear at this point I need to know because my animals are really getting antsy. I had someone offer me a cam that they did work on to alter the IR and now I'm kicking myself for not taking it. So we'll see, hopefully whatever is going on will continue until we could find out what it is for sure.

post-110-0-78195300-1432067325.jpg

Would like opinions and thoughts on this please. I know dogs have a keen sense of smell and hearing  "but" when this stuff goes on here the inside dogs just go into mode and seem to know which way to look. I don't understand how they could "immediately" cue into a specific area from inside. We hear "nothing" and that includes over the monitor. Could scent alone <even from inside> cue a dog into what direction to look at? And this isn't just when the windows are open, this includes when everything is closed and the air conditioner is on. Just don't get it.

PH, when that happens, try to have a camera handy & start taking pictures inside the house.

I used to do that when I had a bird that would alert me. You'd be surprised at the strange stuff that they see floating around in the house.

Plus if you're hearing into the ultrasonic, maybe something gently swishing through dry grass sounds like a bull loose in a china shop.

OK Sas, camera is already on the counter, we'll see if anything shows up.

@Flashman, would the ultrasonic possibly explain the dogs reactions? Would like opinions and thoughts on this please. I know dogs have a keen sense of smell and hearing "but" when this stuff goes on here the inside dogs just go into mode and seem to know which way to look. I don't understand how they could "immediately" cue into a specific area from inside the cabin. We hear "nothing" and that includes over the monitor. Could scent alone <even from inside> cue a dog into what direction to look at? And this isn't just when the windows are open, this includes when everything is closed up and the air conditioner is on. Just don't get it.

My cat watched "something" for one hour and forty five minutes while howling her cute little head off.  She was with me in the kitchen the whole time looking at a spot which was across the room.  This was where the back stairs came down and to the right was the breakfast room and she was howling at this area. Her hair stood up, her paws were doing the pushing back and all the while moving backwards.  Every now and then she would move towards the spot, then she'd get louder and louder while backing yet again and again.  This continued for a long time.  After an hour of this I called my hubby to come down the front stairs and come to the back of the house.  He couldn't believe her and what she was doing.  We just looked at each other with our mouths open and totally lost for words.  So after forty five minutes of he and I watching all this he took a video of her with his cell phone.  In a few minutes after he took the video it just stopped???  She quit doing the howling and backing up routine and just walked off into the other room.  We were completely and utterly amazed.

The video does not capture anything but her and it is not something I would post because whatever she was howling at was just an empty spot in the doorway and would be pointless.

So I do believe animals are a lot more sensitive to this planet than we are and there are things that they definitely see, hear and sense sooooo much better than us.  Had a cat a long time ago that jumped straight up from a chair and spun her wheels in the air, hit the floor and flew up the stairs just before an earthquake.  Our entire house just swayed for a few seconds and then a noise from the basement and then it was over.  Animals are equipped in so many ways and it explains the relationship between humans and canines, no question in my mind.  They were probably the reason for the success of early man when you think about it.

Your dogs are sensing something that you can't see, feel, smell or hear. If they have smelled them before then your dogs already know probably what is attached to that smell. Humans have lost those abilities for the most part but there are exceptions, I believe.

Great idea for the camera on the counter. 

The "bird" that I was referring to was actually a tiny miniature duck. He lived in the house & was apparently psychic. Anyway, he would watch the things that would be in here & squeak at them, so I could get pictures. If there were three pictures in a row, the first one would sometimes have hundreds of orbs, sparks & other stuff. The second one would have about half as much & the last one usually had none.

Some of them would make him furious & he would run up & start biting my ankles & popping me with his wings. When that happened, I would put him in a cage in the back room & leave him there for a few minutes. When I would go back to get him, he would have totally forgotten being mad & go waddling off to his spot on the stairs like nothing had happened.

A lot of pictures of him have a big white orb hovering above him. One morning he was sitting on the floor & squeaked really loud &  had a vacant look in his eyes. I was close to the camera, so I turned it on without thinking about it & snapped a picture of him. The picture was blurry & there was an orb with a face completely covering his face. The next one was just a duck sitting on the floor.

Now that he's gone, I have no way of knowing what is in here. I wish there was a weirdness alarm that would detect this stuff.

@DWA, I just remembered an old report I took probably back in 2007 or 08, I'm pretty sure I wrote about it on the old bff. It was out of Eagle Town, Ok. "BUT" ya know how some reports just seem "Too over the top?". This one was situated in an area that was extremely remote < I knew the person whose cousin had permission to hunt that property and spoke with him first and then the property owner> They supposedly had no air conditioning and would leave their windows and "doors open" even at night. The husband was woke by hearing the kitchen faucet going and thinking that one of the kids left it going got up to turn it off. When he flipped the light on there was supposedly a b/f with a snout drinking from the faucet and it bailed out the door. "I thought OKAYYYYY, lol. They also had cats coming up missing and they would hear the cats screaming. One evening she said she put the cat food out just outside the kitchen window and within a couple minutes she heard a cat scream, looked outside and saw the same snout nosed b/f holding the dead cat like a water melon and eating it!!! IT JUST SEEMED TOO OVER THE TOP that I never drove out there to do an onsite investigation. Maybe I should have. But really??????

Not to veer too far off topic, but this pic made me think snout. 

post-24790-0-12196300-1432177560.png

@Sas, yes I honestly believe animals are more cued in than we will ever be. I have just about banged my head against the wall trying to rationalize but that always leads to more questions than answers.

@Last, yup that's a decent looking snout on that bad boy, awesome looking gorilla pic!

Guest insanity42

There's a good possibility that Sasquatch's olfactory senses may be better than our own.

There was a study conducted comparing the olfactory recepter genes between humans and other primates. The researchers found that humans have an increased olfactory receptor gene disruption, which likely results in the inactivation of those genes (pseudogenes).

The rate was 4-times faster than other species, resulting in about twice as many pseudogenes than non-human primates, with humans having 54% compared to 28% for gorillas and 32% for chimpanzees.

Yoav Gilad, Orna Man, Svante Pääbo, and Doron Lancet. Human specific loss of olfactory receptor genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100:6 pages 3324-3327. (March 18, 2003) www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.0535697100

I am sure it has been discussed previously, but I have wondered if the plastic casing for trail cameras have an odor as many plastics do.

@insanity42, it may not just be the plastic! It may also be the "batteries"!

I may have not even considered this until this morning after checking my cams, it has happened several times previously but not all the time. When I opened the cam to retrieve my chip there was a familiar scent of "electrical melt down". The only thing I can contribute this to is possibly the batteries. I'm not sure, but it may be due to a build up of the chemical compounds in the batteries and you can only smell it when the cam hasn't been opened for a while and the scent gets trapped within the cam.

Have never smelled it prior to opening the cam. But quite possibly something with a keener sense of smell could!