Does Scent Really Matter?

Painthorse

Guest insanity42

The type of batteries commonly used are alkaline and are prone to leaking. Potassium carbonate is formed by the potassium hydroxide in the battery reacting with the carbon dioxide in the air. It looks like a white crusty or feathery powder. Some people describe a metallic odor for it, though I can't say I've smelled the same. Very high temperatures can rupture the batteries and cause the same. If the batteries have a white crusty powder around the ends, more than likely it leaked.

Guest insanity42

I retrieved this list of polymers and their odors from the Handbook of Odors in Plastic Materials by George Wypych.

• Acrylonitrile-butadiene elastomer: slightly rubbery
  • Bromobutyl rubber: none to mild
  • Carrageenan: slight marine
  • Cellulose acetate butyrate
  • Chlorobutyl rubber: mild
  • Ethylene n-butyl acrylate carbon monoxide terpolymer: mild acrylate-likeE
  • Ethylene-vunyl acetate copolymer: mild, ester-like
  • Gelatin: musty
  • Linear low density polyethylene: mild hydrocarbon
  • Poly(acrylic acid): acetic
  • Poly(acrylonitrile-co-styrene-co-acrylate: faint specific
  • cis-1,4-Polybutadiene: rubber-like
  • Poly(butyl methacrylate): methacrylate
  • Polychloroprene: mild
  • Polyethylene, chlorosulfonated: slight, ester-like
  • Poly(ethyl acrylate-co-methyl methacrylate): characteristic, faint
  • Poly(ethylene-co-acrylic acid): acidic
  • Poly(ethylene-co-butyl acrylate): characteristic, acrylic
  • Poly(ethylene-co-n-butyl acrylate): faint acrylic odor
  • Poly(ethylene-co-ethyl acrylate): chacateristic, acrylate
  • Poly(ethylene-co-methacrylic acid): mild methacrylic
  • Poly(ethylene-co-methyl acrylate): ester-like
  • Poly(ethyl acrylate-co-methyl methacrylate-co-triammonoethyl methacrylate chloride): characteristic, faint
  • Poly(methyl methacrylate-co-acrylonitrile-co-butadiene-co-styrene): faint, specific
  • Polymethylsilsesquioxane: characteristic
  • Polynorbornene: characteristic
  • Polypropylene: acid (some)
  • Polypropylene glycol: sweet
  • Polypropylene, maleic anhydride modified: mild hydrocarbon
  • Poly(styrene-co-a-methylstyrene): slight, hydrocarbon
  • Poly(styrene-co-butadiene-co-methyl methacrylate): pungent, sweet
  • Poly(vinyl butyrate): slightly pungent
  • Poly(vinyl chloride-co-vinyl acetate): mild, pleasant
  • Poly(N-vinyl pyrrolidone): faint, specific
  • Silane-crosslinkable polyethylene: very faint
  • Styrene-butadiene block copolymer: faint, specific

The source of the odor varies but cane be from additives, reactions during processing, and/or the raw material.

Polyethylene is the most common type of plastic, used primarily in plastic bags and plastic containers (including bottles), but also gas pipes, shrink film, bubble wrap, and toys.

Regarding the original question .. I think scent is irrelevant.   I assume they know I'm around, often precisely where I am, so attempts to be stealthy including hiding my scent are entirely wasted and likely counter-productive if it's obvious I am indeed attempting stealth.  Much better to just go to a good spot and be myself, in plain sight, do what I do, and hope it attracts curiosity.  In other words, **I'm the bait**. 

MIB

• Upvote 1

Regarding the original question .. I think scent is irrelevant.   I assume they know I'm around, often precisely where I am, so attempts to be stealthy including hiding my scent are entirely wasted and likely counter-productive if it's obvious I am indeed attempting stealth.  Much better to just go to a good spot and be myself, in plain sight, do what I do, and hope it attracts curiosity.  In other words, **I'm the bait**. 

MIB

Good plan.

Guest diana swampbooger

I think it would be dangerous for you in the long run but pouring a puddle of human female urine in the path might get a good picture as the booger would most likely stop to 'inspect'. Some people think the boogers that come in close are the male teenagers.

BFF Patron

I am sure it has been discussed previously, but I have wondered if the plastic casing for trail cameras have an odor as many plastics do.

There are scientific papers posted by government and educational institution scientists (easily retrieved by a forum search, even on 1,0 if you have premium; or online can't recall link) that indicate bears specifically tear into game cams because of plasticizer and hydrocarbon smells of certain plastics used in their construction.  

Guest insanity42

There are scientific papers posted by government and educational institution scientists (easily retrieved by a forum search, even on 1,0 if you have premium; or online can't recall link) that indicate bears specifically tear into game cams because of plasticizer and hydrocarbon smells of certain plastics used in their construction.  

Bears are attracted to some insulation or padding materials that use formaldehyde, which readily oxidizes with atmospheric oxygen to formic acid, which is in ant venom.  Their nose tells them there is an ant nest inside and they tear it open to get a snack.

I would think the plastic casing of a trail camera would be a type of polyethylene, which depending on the type, can have an acidic or estery odor (esters are responsible for many aromas of fruits, there are many kinds).

Have you tried a cover attract scent. I place a camera for deer and spray Apple Mash around the area. It helps "cover" my scent but also, and more so, attracts wildlife. Might be worth a try, never know. Often when the more advanced ideas or theories don't work simple gets the job done.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Painthorse good thread.  I read somewhere Sasquatch are attracted copper as in the metallic composition of pennies as well as gummy bears the candy and thought about electricity or current and copper. Way down south close to the Gulf of Mexico say in Louisiana, on hot muggy days you can smell the electrical charge in the air as the storms rolls inward from the sea. The smell is much like a salty ionized copper odor. – Just saying.      

@Gumshoeye, interesting what you wrote above about the copper odor! Would possibly be similar to that odd odor that I have smelled at times when I have opened the cams after being set out.

On a side note I wanted to give an update that whatever was going on has gone KA-PUT, NADA, nothing.---> again. So back to waiting, observing, etc.

Well, they have been observed on at least one occasion eating a cat, so we have that.

Should researchers/hunters start staking out chinese restaurants?

Admin

Has anyone tried "marking their territory" to see if it attracts animals?

I'm considering doing that around the cameras in our research area to see what happens....

SSR Team

The good Dr in Oregon allegedly did, what happened next made him cry for the next 20 years just thinking about it.