Screams, Howls, Cries And Other Sounds.

Woodslore

A quick question for everyone. What animals would make a deep scream sound. Very similar to a Woman screaming but deeper. I live on the East Coast. Had this sound happen for the last few nights off and on. sometimes once a night sometimes 4 times a night. I know the former owner of the home and they have told me the have heard it to and no idea what it was. I have heard fishers, porcupines, fox, and owls near the home. The sound puts my dog on edge and makes him growl at the windows. Any ideas?

Woodslore, many people say that some BF calls they've heard sound like a woman screaming. 

So you could very well be hearing a BF. 

Yeah, a BF person can cause that reaction in dogs. Some dogs don't care; some dogs get frightened and hide; some dogs know the individuals outside from previous visits and will tolerate or even welcome their presence; and some dogs get upset and go on the offensive. 

I'm sorry your pup is upset, whatever it is that's upsetting him or her.  :(

A quick question for everyone. What animals would make a deep scream sound. Very similar to a Woman screaming but deeper. I live on the East Coast. Had this sound happen for the last few nights off and on. sometimes once a night sometimes 4 times a night. I know the former owner of the home and they have told me the have heard it to and no idea what it was. I have heard fishers, porcupines, fox, and owls near the home. The sound puts my dog on edge and makes him growl at the windows. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-04x0GZgA#ws

This is a link to a y.t. vid of a cougar in heat, is it anything like what you're hearing?

Edited by Bodhi

Bodhi I have heard that sound before not the same. That is softer than the sound, if that makes sense. The sound here is more, only way I can put it, bloody. More sounds like it is right in the yard but when you look out the window or open the door to check nothing. Though that sound made the dog take note. He don't like cats. He didn't back out of the room for that. More growled and went towards it. The sound we have been hearing he looks at the window and growls but will not go towards the window, or outside.

Edited by Woodslore

My first guess based on your description is fox.   They make a variety of noises, some that are surprisingly loud, low-ish, and "throaty" for such a small critter.   

MIB

W.L. > If it's something which repeats sporadically please try to capture the best quality sound that you can, safely. I'd like to give it a listen and maybe try out a few pieces of software I have. Again, safety first.

Bodhi I have heard that sound before not the same. That is softer than the sound, if that makes sense. The sound here is more, only way I can put it, bloody. More sounds like it is right in the yard but when you look out the window or open the door to check nothing. Though that sound made the dog take note. He don't like cats. He didn't back out of the room for that. More growled and went towards it. The sound we have been hearing he looks at the window and growls but will not go towards the window, or outside.

That level of alert, without moving toward the windows, is pretty tell-tale.... 

What's been going on at your house lately, Woodslore? Have you changed anything on your property? 

Also, how comfortable would you feel stepping out your back door and "talking to the woods"? You can always ask what's going on and indicate you want to be a good neighbor. 

It feels silly to do, I know, but it can't hurt, and it could yield some good results. 

The noises may stop, for one.

Hi Woodslore,

Check out this video and tell me if it's close to what you have been hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmLdgCczb_g

That level of alert, without moving toward the windows, is pretty tell-tale.... 

What's been going on at your house lately, Woodslore? Have you changed anything on your property? 

Also, how comfortable would you feel stepping out your back door and "talking to the woods"? You can always ask what's going on and indicate you want to be a good neighbor. 

It feels silly to do, I know, but it can't hurt, and it could yield some good results. 

The noises may stop, for one.

All I have done around my house is set up a pool, clear some brush, moved a log pile and put a latch on my garbage bin. We also got the dog in April (SPCA). As for the coming out into the yard and talking to the woods. I have yelled at something that tripped my sensor light on the side of my house and I have gone out and yelled at the woods a few times while the scream is going on. I have no problem confronting something. 

As for the Fox sound it's not shaky enough. There is more of a shake to the sound, like holding a note. I know what a fox sounds like, my dog knows what a fox sounds like. He barks at that sound (tail wags too). My wife knows what a fox sounds like she says that's not it. It is not a fox. No not a fox, raccoon, cougar, bobcat, fisher. The dog does not react near the same way to those sounds. He will growl at them but still will go at those sounds (the cat sounds he rush's at, really does not like cats). Show no fear of them. I know those sounds. I have looked into those sounds. Maybe it is one of them and he reacts differently to it but I don't think it is. Don't think it is a Sasquatch either (than again I am not sure I ever heard a Sasquatch for sure. Been some sounds no idea what they were and I what they were not). I think maybe something I am over looking. 

It would be cool if you could record it and share the recording.     Sounds, like smells or tastes, are extremely subjective.   Two people experiencing the same thing may describe them entirely differently.

MIB

• Upvote 1

It would be cool if you could record it and share the recording.     Sounds, like smells or tastes, are extremely subjective.   Two people experiencing the same thing may describe them entirely differently.

MIB

Very true MIB, very true. Hence (and may sound weird) I try the sounds on my dog. His reactions are what made me curious

Woodslore, that's a ton of changes you've made at the house! "They" can get a little cranked up when you clear brush and move log piles, because those things affect their patterns of movement.  

I'd put a lot of money on your having some hairy neighbors there, my friend. You sound like you (and your dog, and your wife) know a LOT about the sounds around you. And if you've ruled out the most likely ones, there's really only one possibility left. 

Here's another thought, too. Try talking to the woods, not yelling to the woods. I'm certain, from what you've said here and elsewhere, that you don't have trouble confronting things, and I'm sure your hairy neighbors are, too (because they've heard you yell). So that's kind of settled now. The next logical step is to take it down a notch. You don't have to do the confrontation thing anymore. In fact, that might tend to escalate any tensions you might both be feeling. 

If you get more "conversational" with them -- less reactive, less punitive-sounding -- that will create a greater sense of ease for both you and them, and you may find the screaming stops. 

You could also use this moment of heightened awareness of each other to leave them a food offering (but beyond the edge of your property -- not on the property itself). This will also signal that you're willing to coexist peacefully with them (if you are willing to do that), and again, this is a good way to get the screaming to stop. 

You don't have to believe any of this will work. These are just things to try, to see what happens. If things improve, that's a big bonus. If they don't, well, you haven't lost anything by trying them. 

Edited by LeafTalker