4-Toed Prints

TD-40

I'm reading one of Paulides' books and there are some cases of prints that have only four toes. How could this happen? Inbreeding?

Seems like a hoaxed print would try to be as genuine as possible--with 5 toes. Have you heard of cases where footprints had only 4 toes?

I wonder about the prints as well. They seem to run from 3-5 toes with different shapes as well. I would think inbreeding on a level which would cause this widespread of a problem would quickly make that population unable to survive. I kind of think it's a variety of animal types. Just like the descriptions of the Boggy Creek monster are nothing like Patty, it seems like we have a few varieties wandering around. I don't know if it's geographic. I'd like to see if certain areas are more prone to certain tracks.

Good thread TD40, I read and hold a total of 8,289 BF reports in some sort form or fashion and of that number I count 39 instances of abnormal toe tracks with the overwhelming number being 3Toed followed by 4Toed and one six track.  I read about three of his books, do you recall which state he was referring to with that report?

States where 3Toed Tracks were reported:

Alabama

Arkansas x2

California

Georgia

Illinois

Michigan x2

Missouri x3

North Carolina

Ohio x2

Oregon

Pennsylvania x4

Tennessee

Texas x2

B.C. Canada 

States where 4Toed Tracks were reported:

Colorado

Indiana

New York

Missouri

Mississippi

Montana

Oregon x2

Pennsylvania

Texas

Tennessee x2

Unk (partial state information deleted)

Washington

B.C. Canada

States where 6Toed Tracks were reported:

South Dakota

Great info Gum! What's your feeling about genetic mutations versus different species (species probably being the wrong term),but maybe taxonomy as opposed to inbreeding.

I think I'd go with genetic anomalies to explain some of those. I think Rick Noll may have found some tracks that appeared to have six toes once. That might have been in California, Oregon, or Washington. He may still have pics of them. Another explanation might be a slight double step if there was only one track in a small bare spot in the soil or perhaps a pinky toe might not register if the foot wasn't firmly planted.

In his Tribal Bigfoot book, the 4-toed print came from California. When I get home I can tell which page it's on. 

I may have a pic from the old Alabama bigfoot forum that a member posted, that is, if I saved it.  It had been on there for a while and no one noticed that the print had six toes or if they did, not a word was mentioned.  I thought it was a quite unusual. It was wide and long and the toes were very close together.

Also I have a friend who has webbed toes, I've seen cats with six toes (polydatyl), etc.  Inbreeding possibly???

BFF Patron

Apparently tracks can be left of less than five toes when all five are intact.  I am re-reading "Legend Meets Science" and examples are mentioned of BF climbing muddy banks with only three toes digging in despite lower elevation tracks leading to these of five toes IIRC.  

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Good shout B, I don't think we need to go down the road of genetic mutations etc when their can be a more realistic answer, especially when with all due respect we are getting this information in the main from unqualified people.

The qualified person says the above.

Guest Crowlogic

Then there's that guy in Texas claiming 3 toes.  Is there any precedence  in mammals to support inbreeding causing something as drastic as going from five toes to four toes or even the extremely implausible three toes?  Consider that there aren't many Mountain Gorillas yet they seem to be breeding healthy members.  Bigfoot if real is not stranded on a desert island with only 5 members to mate.  

The count of toes could be just one outward sign of inbreeding that is specific to that species. There could be others such as mild retardation or whatever else can occur.

There are several reasons a print might have four (or three) toes;

1) birth deformity;

2) backcountry accident/injury;

3) a small toe that, due to 1) or 2) or other circumstance, simply didn't print in the substrate either at all, or adequately to be noticed.

Great info Gum! What's your feeling about genetic mutations versus different species (species probably being the wrong term),but maybe taxonomy as opposed to inbreeding.

SY and Biped both added some good points. I don’t know … I probably lean toward some aberration of genetics and or singular hints of variance in species an opinion that I personally believe. I noticed that several of these reports followed physical sightings of beings either solo or in multiple group settings. The reporting person(s) immediately checks the scene and notes oddities in toes. I don't exclude the possibility of hidden toes either though. Just look at some bare feet on humans if you need any further convincing, but overall I do believe there are vast differences in species.  Everyone else has offered some great comments that shouldn't be overlooked either.

Edited by Gumshoeye

I say the most likely cause is from spending a lifetime running around the woods barefoot. Actually pretty easy to lose a toe or two doing that.