"bigfoot Captured" On History Channel

david75090

Meldrum catches a lot of flack for his public and cinematic appearances.

I don't blame him for being noncommittal about his Bigfoot beliefs. After all, the man is a professor at a university and has already taken a lot of ridicule from his peers in academia. I've never met the man but I give him a lot of credit for having the courage to speak openly about Bigfoot as well as doing so in an intelligent and reasonable manner. By simply discussing the plausibility of the subject, he has severely handicapped his possibilities in the academic and scientific community. If Meldrum can make a few extra bucks, by appearing on TV or Bigfoot conventions, then more power to him. Any money he makes, is well deserved in light of what he's had to sacrifice, in order to become a credible voice in what we all know is a crazy and often ludicrous business.

What has he had to sacrifice? What handicaps do you see to his academic career? He recently got full tenure.

D,

You live there so ill take your word for it. but all i can find for human occupation is Slate Falls population 186. And it looks like its probably 20 miles away?

I dont see a road to the lake nor is it connected somehow that would allow boats in or out.

Maybe teenagers are more determined in that neck of the woods. But I find it hard to believe teenagers are at work here.

But not knowing the area and only working with google earth i could be wrong.

Google Earth would not be reliable, where I live there are many trails that don't show up on GE. Also around here to travel 20 miles is nothing, people do that every day on quads, boat or snowmobile.

Thats just a guess on my part.

And I agree that GE is only so accurate. We need a local to tell us how difficult it is to get to the lake.

At the cabin they were convinced a Bigfoot was throwing rocks at the cabin and the nail board had a huge foot print. They took samples and it came back unknown primate. Why would Mr Meldrum not have the entire genome sequenced? Isn't that what he's waited his entire career for? Seems kinda suspicious to me, almost as though he knew it wasn't a Bigfoot.

He did.

And the sample was too old to get anything conclusive

Darn Bigfoot blood, always past the best before date.

At the cabin they were convinced a Bigfoot was throwing rocks at the cabin and the nail board had a huge foot print. They took samples and it came back unknown primate. Why would Mr Meldrum not have the entire genome sequenced? Isn't that what he's waited his entire career for? Seems kinda suspicious to me, almost as though he knew it wasn't a Bigfoot.

He did.

And the sample was too old to get anything conclusive

Darn Bigfoot blood, always past the best before date.

It sat out in the weather for a year on zinc coated screws. The owner evidently had bigger fish to fry like.....MY #%^?£¥€ CABIN!!!!

LOL

You are probably right, Rock. I was just recalling the details off the top of my head. Hence, why I recommended people google it for further clarification. 

The only access to the lake is by flying in by float plane, which is why it's considered remote. It's not very likely someone would just wander in. From what I found the nearest community was Slate Falls, a First Nation community, about 11 miles away (17.9 km for our metric people). It showed about 200 population.

Edited by OkieFoot

Meldrum catches a lot of flack for his public and cinematic appearances.

I don't blame him for being noncommittal about his Bigfoot beliefs. After all, the man is a professor at a university and has already taken a lot of ridicule from his peers in academia. I've never met the man but I give him a lot of credit for having the courage to speak openly about Bigfoot as well as doing so in an intelligent and reasonable manner. By simply discussing the plausibility of the subject, he has severely handicapped his possibilities in the academic and scientific community. If Meldrum can make a few extra bucks, by appearing on TV or Bigfoot conventions, then more power to him. Any money he makes, is well deserved in light of what he's had to sacrifice, in order to become a credible voice in what we all know is a crazy and often ludicrous business.

It certainly didn't help his reputation by doing a phony Bigfoot show. Hope that well deserved money was worth it.

• Upvote 1

Okiefoot,

I live in a First Nations community and we have quad/snowmobile trails to every pond, lake, creek, and river within 100km of here. I'm sure there's a quad trail over to that lake

Okiefoot,

I live in a First Nations community and we have quad/snowmobile trails to every pond, lake, creek, and river within 100km of here. I'm sure there's a quad trail over to that lake

Thanks for correcting me. I was thinking more about the lack of roads to the lake that would carry motor vehicles; I tend to think a hoaxer isn't going to go to a whole lot of trouble and effort to pull one.  

Unless they advertised that they would be there filming at that time it would be an odd coincidence that hoaxers showed up to the lake at the same time.

It's been all downhill for Meldrum since Legend Meets Science.

I think he brings solid science and research to the field in general, and don't really blame him for being on a show where he doesn't know and can't control the other content.

With regards to Meldrum  I've seen a clever hedging but never a solid "and you can take it to the bank" certainty.  At the end of the day nobody can really pin him down as a no holds barred believer.  Money talks and money seems to be saying a lot these days.

In the Sykes documentary (Bigfoot: The New Evidence on Nat Geo), Meldrum is asked point blank, yes or no whether there is a bigfoot out there.

He says "yes". 

Unless they advertised that they would be there filming at that time it would be an odd coincidence that hoaxers showed up to the lake at the same time.

That's a good point. Plus, would a hoaxer be dumb enough to step on the board of nails?

I think we are talking about the cabin getting trashed. the year before?

I am guessing but I tend to think that in a small community, if a television crew showed up, EVERYONE would know about it. I also tend to think if was a young person in the same community and heard about this I might be inclined to be a bit mischievous.

I think we are talking about the cabin getting trashed. the year before?

That was a unrelated incident which Mr Meldrum and crew, "Skookum casted" into something Bigfoot. I think we are talking about the rocks thrown at the cabin.