Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

Guest Crowlogic

How can one be discouraged if one has encountered bigfoot and a skeptic doesn't believe him?  Makes no sense to me.  A bigfoot charging in your direction or standing in front of you has one heck of a more powerful presence and impact on a person than an internet heckler.

I'm reminded of a song the 52's did in the 80's called Private Idaho.  I suppose the knowers simply have to stay in their own private Idaho of experience since all they can do is talk about it which puts the subject in the same realm as any other intangible.

My preferred method is riding through spectacular scenery on my horse with my guide gun under my left leg.

It worked for Bob and Roger, I'm game.

Other PG members use quads, pickups, hike and Rex uses a amphibious vehicle I think they call a coot, down in Florida.

But Im going to add a evidence kit, Ive seen some big poo piles that Ive always dismissed as Bear. If I can get proof without shooting? Perfect.

How can one be discouraged if one has encountered bigfoot and a skeptic doesn't believe him?  Makes no sense to me.  A bigfoot charging in your direction or standing in front of you has one heck of a more powerful presence and impact on a person than an internet heckler.

I'm reminded of a song the 52's did in the 80's called Private Idaho.  I suppose the knowers simply have to stay in their own private Idaho of experience since all they can do is talk about it which puts the subject in the same realm as any other intangible.

Sorry you haven't been admitted to the club.

Ok, Ill bite, what is the unflawed approach?

And no.....Im not dressing up like a woman.....call Bobo!

;)

Please don't misunderstand my reply.  You are one of a handful of posters that I hold in great respect.  You don't have any backup in you.  If you ever had a reverse gear - I'd say it got stripped out long ago.

I really want to use that technique myself - and because it will require considerable investment on my part - and because I have two huge projects currently in progress - it won't be this Summer, but certainly the next.  Problem is, it's at 8,000 feet, and snow clears off in July, and starts burying things again in late September often enough.  

That's why I can't make the window this year.  But can the following.

When I go, I'll contact you to get a good contact number, and when we're up and running, I'll invite you to come and stay with us for maybe three days, enabling you to see these things really good.  Of course, you'll just have to sign a little non-disclosure agreement, but that shouldn't be a game stopper.  Besides, it will expire within 12-18 months, freeing you up to discuss anything you wish.

I hope you can understand.  It's like telling someone about your little honey-hole, and exactly which method works in that honey-hole without fail.

Some of us do think out of the box. Short of a body, what can any of us do right now, to get the interest of academia? Norse mentioned one angle. Without garnering that interest in some way, everything else becomes a dead-end. Yes even grants.

If anyone is on the verge of developing more useful trailcams for instance, that would be a good tangent to take. But I'm talking about right now, not some pie in the sky hope for some marvelous tech down the road.

Fararcher, the above was not aimed at you. It's what I'm talking about though. If you have a ways and means, go for it!

Edited by BigTreeWalker

Some of us do think out of the box. Short of a body, what can any of us do right now, to get the interest of academia? Norse mentioned one angle. Without garnering that interest in some way, everything else becomes a dead-end. Yes even grants.

If anyone is on the verge of developing more useful trailcams for instance, that would be a good tangent to take. But I'm talking about right now, not some pie in the sky hope for some marvelous tech down the road.

Fararcher, the above was not aimed at you. It's what I'm talking about though. If you have a ways and means, go for it!

I fear academia considers this area a professional death zone.  I know Meldrum and a couple others have unzipped, but this isn't the only discipline that has an area that is professionally best left alone.

Dr. Deborah Chung developed a negative resistor, and the immediate reaction was - nothing.  Nothing public.  It went dark for quite a while, and there's still not much about it from her - most information comes from others who have duplicated and experimented with her development.

Assume you're a top anthropologist.  You're published in academic journals, you've spent decades and decades learning your stuff, you've taught for decades what you know, and while there are occasional discoveries that provide enough new material to maintain a bit of interest - otherwise it's a fairly established narrative one can learn and regurgitate by rote.

Now an opportunity comes to explore and identify an entirely new species that fits nowhere on the well established tree or origination.  I mean, this bad mamma-jamma is a whole new can of worms.

Is it a career maker?  Of course.  Is it a career breaker?  You better believe it.  If you're successful, every bit of knowledge you have, every narrative of mankind, every known and established cultural narrative in existence, every postulated and established narrative of evolution - it's all out the window.

Now, your knowledge is almost identical to that of a Freshman student.  Because everything will have to be re-written.  No one is an expert any longer.  Everyone is starting from zero.

When the priests confronted Galileo about craters on the moon, he turned and said, "Look.  See for yourself."

The reply?  "I cannot, lest I then believe as you."

Bottom line:  Some don't want to look - lest everything they are currently expert in - is flushed down the toilet.

• Upvote 1

Yes I do agree with that. I also know that Meldrum is probably not the route to take. He is knowledgeable in his part of the field. But honestly how much progress is he making? But if you have pertinent information you have to start somewhere and get the interest of someone; even if it's a postgraduate or predoctoral student. Otherwise we may as well bag it. If what we are finding were dug out of an archaeological dig it would be interesting to any anthropologist. But since it's fresh on the ground it will take work to get their attention. But if that's what it takes so be it. :)

Yes Fararcher did nail it. But the question is how do we get around it? What's the solution to the problem?

If we drag in a dead body, that represents years and years of solid data? What sort of risk is involved here scientifically. Other than Yuchi's perposterous pillow biting scenario I mean.

There is the body, like it or not, we got a new species to study.

Science should look like a full contact roller derby squad trying to get their hands on a bipedal north american ape.

The end.

BTW thanks for the kind words far archer.

Guest Crowlogic

^Norse at the very least you have a realistic vision of the quest.  I promise you if you succeed I will send you a case of your favorite libation.

Yuchi doesn't see the necessity of killing one, but he didn't always feel that way.  He just came to that decision after some experiences and while he knows I don't agree,  I can't knock his decision.  It wasn't lightly determined.

The only way this thing will be conclusively determined will be either skeletal evidence of one maybe died from sickness or an accident, or it's going to be a hunter.

Yuchi knows they exists, and so clearly to him there's no sense in killing one.

Norse, you are confident they exist, and you'd like to bring one in - and that's perfectly understandable to me.

Me?  I know they exist, and since then, that thing has haunted me - in that I'd also like to see one brought in - if for no other reason, to conquer my haunting - so to speak.

It's my booger man.  I'm not an enthusiast, a researcher, an interested biologist.  I've spent months in jungles, months in savannahs, months in arctic conditions, months in tundra, years in eastern swamps, and months in remote alpine locations - and this mythical critter never even crossed my mind.

Then.  There it was.  Running at me.  By me.  

Now I have to see it again.  At my feet.  Only then can I forget it. 

I want the species recognized, and I dont care how its done, just so its the most expediant way possible.

I think humans have a right to know what is in the woods. And I think Sasquatch has the right to be on a environmental impact study and under the endangered species act.

People who have seen it therefore have no interest in proving it to anyone...... baffle me. I find that to be extremely near sighted and selfish. But whatever.

And I think if someone is understandably squemish about killing one, there are other avenues to take that still help the cause of species recognition.

Perhaps, after seeing one and holding off the trigger is a manifestation of the humanity somewhere deep inside yourself.  Several have done so and came away with a cognizance of the world as it is and not as we imagine.

Your still not seeing it Yuchi.....the lack of humanity IS sparing the single individual.

By that action alone you risk the species. Its not bullets that threatens this species....its bulldozers, golf courses and asphalt.

Edited by norseman

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic