Looking To Get A Sound Recorder

wiiawiwb

I've never owned one before and not exactly sure where to start. I'd be using it when I do overnight or backpacking out in the field. It will only be left out while I'm in the field. I don't want to spend a lot of money at this point. I've read a few good things about a SONY PCM-M10 but would like to get away with less if that's possible.

What recorders would you recommend?

Do I need a plug-in omni-directional microphone to? If so, any recommendations?

Any other important features that I should be aware of?

Keep it simple for your first one.   The more adjustments, the more potential for mal-configuration and empty recording.   

I still am not comfortable enough with my Tascam DR-05's settings to want to use it by itself.    One plan is to eventually feed it from a "bionic ear" powered mic, another is to use its greater storage and external power to do longer recordings.   I'm not up to speed enough with it yet.  

I have 4-5 Sony ICD PX 812's which I bought for the VOR mode ... essentially, it's "sound-triggered" recording so you don't get a lot of empty recording to sift through.   It is supposed to buffer 5 seconds so if there is a noise that sets it off, you won't miss it.   I plan to run two together, one in VOR mode, one not, and compare the recordings to see if I really am, or am not, missing stuff.  

My final recorder is an Olympus DS-71.   I think the recording quality is a bit better than the Sony but it's VOR mode is not as good.

I generally cache one sony under my truck hood at the parking lot at wilderness trailheads, then cache another a half mile or so into the wilderness off tray.   I carry the Olympus in my pack running with an external mic.

My choice of mic is the olympus ME-51S stereo mic. 

None of my stuff is real fancy but I haven't missed any sounds because of it.    When the recording hasn't been great, it's not the equipment, its the user.   Continue walking, continue moving so the pack cloth flexes, shoes crunch, water sloshes, etc.   That kind of thing.

MIB

I'll plainly display my ignorance of this subject. If I were to leave the PCM-M10 on record mode during an evening (8pm-8am), would all twelve hours fit on the internal 4GB storage?

I assume my it is like mine with various recording qualities.     The answer to the question depends on which you choose. 

The Sonys I use last about 14 hours on a set of batteries in "VOR" mode and, because it skips empty "space", in "HQ" quality (PCM / CD quality, 44.1 whatevers), there's plenty of space.   If I drop down to "SP" (standard play?) and just record, no "VOR", one has lasted 2-1/2 days or so.   They seem to break the recording into one file per day so it doesn't run into file size limits.  

The Olympus I use has storage enough for 6+ hours recording constantly at PCM (44.1) quality but the system's file size limits it to about 3-1/4th hours.   It does not automatically split the file and advance, it just ... stops.   

I haven't had a recording so far where the difference in recording quality between PCM/CD/44.1/HQ (etc, depending on what the maker calls it) is discernibly different than "SP" on the Sony.  

It is likely you can find a chart online with a little Google-Fu which tells how long your device will record at any specific recording quality.  

MIB

Edited by MIB

BFF Patron

The length of recording is related to 3 things with a digital recorder.   The size of your SD card,  the battery, and the recording format.      By that I mean sample rate, format, and if you are recording stereo or quadrophonic.    Most of the time the SD card is the limiting factor.    You want a recorder that takes at least a 32 GB SD card.    Higher sample rates results in a better quality recording but it cuts down your recording time.     So sample rate and recording time are often a tradeoff.   While low .Wav sample rates or  MP3 recording can give you really long recording times,  recording quality suffers and then the battery becomes the limiting factor.    I use a mid .WAV sample rate and stereo to get recordings to last the entire time I am in the field.     I had my Zoom H2 recorder only a couple of weeks, was not familiar with the operation, and had it stowed in my pack, and missed the recording event of a lifetime all because I clutched and did not get it into record mode.   Whatever you get, make sure you know to operate it.    They don't make the H2 any more.   Now the recorder is pack mounted and running entire time I am doing day field work.   Part of the recorder selection process should be what you want to do with it.   Just having something running in case something happens probably does not require an expensive recorder but being in a location where you have often repeated sounds and want really high quality recordings may mean you need to spend more to get that.    Some recorders allow external power supplies.     With that the SD card would be the limiting factor for recording.  

A buddy of mine has several H-2s which he brings with him and scatters them around the area he stays. He's gotten some very interesting recordings. He loves the H2. I think the updated version is the H2n.

Admin

Here is tech info about the PCM-M10. I've used one and loved it for a couple years.

http://stancourtney.com/field-recorders-pt-1/

That said, I've been having a discussion about this in the Sounds of the Night topic in GD. Another member has identified issues with the sound quality in my recording, and has recommended another Sony device, which costs much less. I'm interested in giving it a try. You may find it helpful, as well.

Edited by JKH

• 1 month later...

I'm going to pull the trigger on some equipment this weekend. If you were getting your first recording setup, would you get the more expensive SONY PCM-M10 ($220) and work off off that platform or the less expensive SONY ICDPX333 ($40) plus an external mic ($20)?

Get the px333. It's been thoroughly tested and approved. If you get one, pm me I'll tell you the best settings. You can get the external mics cheap on ebay.

Ok, I just picked up the SONY PX333 and ordered the Audio Technica microphone.  I was looking at Giganto's list, which he graciously provided above, and am embarrassed that I have no idea what these are used for and how to put them together:

1) Power plastic charger adapter cigarette lighter socket

2) Hookup wire

3) Lantern battery (2)

4) Audiopipe dual USB cigarette lighter

I see from the pictures that the recorder is kept in the cooler bag and the microphone is fed through the bottom and dangles below.  The other stuff is a mystery to me.

You may not be able to use the rest ... lantern battery, hookup wire, and cigarette lighter adapter stuff.    Those are for recorders which take auxillary (USB) power.   So far as I know, no Sony recorders do.    The TASCAM DR-05 (discontinued, I think) does.   The purpose is to be able to record for longer than normal AA or AAA batteries last.

I have one of the TASCAM recorders though I have not gotten it to work to my satisfaction yet.   I have 4 Sony ICD PX 820s, similar to what you have ... a little older and now discontinued.   What you've got should work well with the external mic.   The only limitation is total storage capacity and battery life.   Lower recording qualities are still quite good enough.   Mine has L, S, HQ, and SHQ modes.  SHQ is equivalent to PCM ... CD quality.   

If I use VOX / VOR mode, battery life is shorter but enough for overnight, about 14 hours on a pair of AAA batteries.   When I do that, I generally choose PCM / SHQ recording quality since I'm not going to fill up the recorder anyway.   Otherwise, a pair of batteries seems to last about 2-1/2 days running constantly at "S" quality.    That is plenty good enough for bird calls, knocks, howls, etc to be very clear.

I don't use a cooler.   The clear tubes for transporting florescent bulbs come in several diameters.  I use the 1-1/4 inch stuff.   Cut off a piece 10" to a foot long, glue one end cap in place and seal the opening with silicon sealant and let it set / dry.   After it's dry, wrap the cylinder in camo duct tape leaving it hanging over the bottom end a half inch to an inch.   Cut the other end plug open wider so a mic will stick out the slot but the recorder won't fall out.    I usually tie a loop in OD green string, tie that around the mic base, wrap a couple half hitches around the tube body, and hang the whole thing upside down under a tree branch or against a tree trunk.    It helps to use a wind screen on the mic.   

This is a lot less visible than a plastic cooler.   I know ... I couldn't find one last summer.   After an hour looking I gave up and came back a week later.  Found it right off.   I got a good laugh at my own expense listening to audio of me wandering around mumbling and cussing the missing recorder.     I had to have been within 3-5 feet of it several times.

My research partner, on the other hand, just sticks her recorder in a ziplock bag under a piece of bark to keep the rain out.   She gets great recordings as well.    So far not bigfoot but cool wildlife.  

MIB

Edited by MIB

Wiiawiwb, I returned your message. I'll send you along some of our recordings so you can hear what the px333 sounds like in action when I send that info tomorrow.

I can't see gigantor's post as it's in the paid section I guess.

Edited by TritonTr196

I walked through Walmart looking to see what they had for a cooler or other container which could hold the camera and keep it dry. They had plenty of the insulated 6-pack coolers but none were camo. I think I'll just order that online and use it in colder weather.

When I came home, I found this tube as I rummaged through cabinets. It is 2 1/4" wide,12" long and has a removable bottom and top. I think this will be perfect to use along with camo duct tape. I'll cover it all with tape and then tape the whole thing to a tree. The microphone ATR3350iS will protrude from the center of the cap at he bottom. I'll also fan out some camo tape at the bottom so it breaks a little of the wind along with the mic cover.  Maybe use some local leaf litter or camo-cloth attached to the camo-taped tube and it should disappear. So, the total cost of this will be $4.95 for the roll of duct tape with plenty still left to use for the next dozen times. I'll use this contraption, if it works, in 35F+ weather.

You guys are a great inspiration. Thanks!

P1020805.JPG

Edited by wiiawiwb

Good call!  I have 2 of those.   I haven't gotten around to finishing them.

Another thing that can work if you find the right size is the smaller dry boxes for sunglasses, ID, etc for boaters.   Choose which end is up, then bore a hole big enough for a mic cord in the other end.   You can use a disposable ear plug to seal the hole fairly well.   Split it in half down the middle to create a slot to run the wire through.

MIB