Looking To Get A Sound Recorder

wiiawiwb

Admin

yup, that's what I do. Keep the mics pointed down so water slides off of it.

Revision 3 passed the rest in heavy rain today. I used $3 worth of parts from dollar tree and it fixed all the issues. I'll post pix once I'm back into civilization.

Here is the SONY PCM-M10 with EM-172 stereo mics.  I took a Ziploc medium round plastic container ($3 for 2) and drilled two holes in the lid. Then I camo'd the entire container and affixed a paracord loop to the top and to the side to provide more options for attachment to a tree. Credit for the paracord loop goes to Redbone. Great thinking and thanks Pal. 

The paracord loop is an infinitely better design as it allows me to use paracord, rather than tape, to attach it to a tree. That means that even in the rain I can setup the voice recorder to the tree. I will tie a tautline hitch to each loop and then be able to cinch the container down to both the tree trunk and branch thus keeping it from swaying in the wind.

I've played with clipping the mics to the bottom versus not. Clipping probably makes the most sense and the mics will still be protected from the rain unless it is going sideways.

I tried two different camo tape. Get the Gorilla  brand tape. It is much stickier and holds better.

P1020815.JPGP1020816.JPGP1020817.JPGP1020819.JPGP1020820.JPG

Edited by wiiawiwb
Added another picture
  • Upvote 1

Dollar Tree Cup 1.jpg  Dollar Tree Cup 2.jpg

Dollar Tree Cup 3.jpg   Dollar Tree Cup 4.jpg

Dollar Tree Cup 5.jpg  Dollar Tree Cup 6.jpg

It's a $1 cup and Elastic hairbands from Dollar Tree. The lip of the cup kept the mic completely dry, and the sealed lid kept the inside dry. It makes me happy to be able to make this work so cheaply. If a person had a bigger recorder, just get a bigger cup! The hairband stretches so I can loop it around smallish branches and the cup, eliminating the need for an extra bungee.

Later on when I get a chance I'll post audio of the loud mouth hag who stole this thing. Luckily I figured out who it was and got it back.

I'm also struggling to figure out how I'm going to tell the story of how Finding Bigfoot ditched my son and I yesterday, We were scheduled to film a segment all afternoon but they went in a "different direction". I'll save the stories for another thread and maybe give the producer a day to explain what happened. Right now I'd post the angry version and could use some cool down time...

Edited by Redbone

I forgot to mention. I didn't finish taping the lid because I'm changing the microphone and not sure what I'll have or how it will mount.

I am looking for suggestions...  What microphone should I get? (I suppose I should actually search the forum because it's probably been asked before)

I want something inexpensive but proven. My Sony microphones are great to clip on my hat during Night Ops but not suited for the setup above. They have left and right mics that point out to the side but I really need something that can hang as has been suggested. A hard wind during rain could still soak the microphone in my setup.

One of my BFRO friends recommends Giant Squids. They are presently $52 on Amazon. I'd like to spend a little less, especially after my setup was stolen the first day I set it out. Amazon Giant Squid

A long time ago I asked Stan C. how he shielded his devices from the elements, he said he stuck 'em under logs. I appreciated the simplicity. In the past when there's been any chance of moisture, I've used ziplock bags. Somewhere else here I mentioned that the M10 impressively made it through a wind and rain storm that actually forced water into the closed bag. I don't think camo is necessary, due to their intelligence, but they don't seem to avoid the recorders from accounts anyway. I don't hide them even, unless there's human presence.

Ours stays out four or five days at a time continuously recording rain or shine. I use the sony stereo mics and never once had rain or any other thing mess them up.. Mine sticks out of the bottom of what ever holder I'm using and the rain, unless blown on it with a strong wind never gets wet when it rains..

I only use camo for people not to see and steal them, not to hide it from Bigfoot.

I didn't hide mine while testing it out yesterday and here is the result: Hag steals my audio recorder

Notice that she cackles like a certain presidential candidate...

My Sony Mic seemed to recover once dry. I'm pretty happy about that but still looking for a slightly better configuration. In August I'll be headed to a place where lot of remarkable howls have been recorded. What I heard was not shared publicly as far as I know or I'd link it. I'd like my chance at getting some of that kind of audio.

I think I recorded a Whoop the other night but not certain. It's similar but still a little different than others I've heard. Possible Whoop at 9:45 PM 07/29/16

You can hear the noise caused by my water logged microphone. The left channel is hardly there. I haven't figured out how to delete the left and replace it with the right audio yet. I've never had to attempt that before. (EDIT: I figured it out, fixed it, and provided an updated link)

I'm sorry if I am starting to take this off topic. I may have to start my own thread somewhere to discuss what I record.

Edited by Redbone

Admin

Red,

Aim the mics down and have them stick out only a 1/8" or so out of the enclosure. I would cut holes in the bottom just wide enough so that the mic fits snug. That way, when it rains, the water will drip away.

Placing the mic facing the ground will keep it dry and you won't miss anything. Realize that you are not going to be able to track an animal based on sound recordings, so stereo recording is useless. Use mono.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking about getting the Zoom H6 for recording, got some spare change and wanting to get a new toy! Planning on, if I get somewhere private enough, putting it in a capsule like in this thread and leaving it out hidden, just coming in on the weekends to swap batteries and cards really. Has a good auto-record mode that should be fun to play with! Any recommendations other than that? Supposed to be more rugged than the other Zoom models from what I read, don't know for sure though.