Recommend Bf Books To Purchase Please

Yikes, What do the kooks do? Does their presence make the documentary sound like a farce, or is this serious journalistic efforts proving and/or disproving the BF species?

Ten star review here:

"The Investigators Make the Film Worthwhile 16 June 2002 | by consulgeneral (Norfolk, Virginia) – See all my reviews As far as I know, this is the first and only time all of the "Four Horsemen of Sasquatch" have been put in a documentary together, and what a treat it is to see their views and hear their stories. From the cantankerous Rene Dahinden to the somewhat reserved John Green, while in between lie Dr. Grover Krantz (taking the scientific approach) and the always well dressed outdoorsman Peter Byrne. Tragically, both Dahinden and Krantz have recently passed away, so this documentary helps to preserve their life's work.

The producers took a big chance in devoting screen time to some of the more colorful characters involved in the hunt for Sasquatch. Individuals who consider the creature a "para-physical nature people" and claim that Bigfoot is "From the planet Hercules Mercury" are entertaining to watch, but could turn off new Sasquatch fans. Of course, Peter Byrne and Rene Dahinden take the liberty of dropping the hint to the viewer.

The music is clever, with a "Bigfoot Lives" folk song in the opening and the direction flows very smoothly, blending eyewitness accounts with stock footage. The only problem I can see with this film is Henry Franzoni, a "Bigfoot Enthusiast". His "inciteful interjections" are more like "painful reminders". Frankly, the documentary could have done a whole lot better without him. What gives this guy the right to talk about Sasquatch? There are hundreds of Bigfoot Enthusiasts out there, why did he get chosen for the film?

Barring that, I would have to say that if you only see one documentary about Bigfoot, this should be it!

Dr. Travis McHenry, PhD"

I was present when Harry Schmacher said he thought Peter Byrne is a "kook" but Harry was just promoting his trailer park and really didn't know what he was talking about. The burgers were always good at Bigfoot Daze. The show was actually kind of objective and didn't really deal with the existence or non-existence of sasquatches. In that it's kind of unique.

Do you have Netflix? If so you could watch it that way.

Highly recommended. It covers the territory and, despite the subtitle, is not limited to the PNW. It's a wonderful romp through the places with sidetrips into everything from dam building on the Columbia to Heuvelmans' "radical" idea humans descended from an ancestor that was already upright! Pictures, too. Preview here.

41JtC7wuyKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sasquatch/Bigfoot and the Mystery of the Wild Man: Cryptozoology & Mythology in the Pacific Northwest

Robert Michael Pyle, 1997, Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the Dark Divide, Mariner Books, amazon.com, $19.95. Pyle is a Yale-educated lepidopterist (butterflyologist) and award-winning nature writer. Definitely a different perspective on bigfoot -- not for everyone.

Ah, Pyle. That one's been in my shopping cart for years. I may have to break down and get it when I've recovered from my current buying spree.

LAL,

Some find Pyle's book disappointing, because it's not the typical hard-core cryptozoological treatment. Pyle offers more philosophy than cryptozoology, but I enjoyed the book because it describes a Yale PhD's fascination with the subject. It also gives a certain mystique to the east slope of Mt. St. Helens. I'd never driven that road until after reading the book.

At Amazon, reviewers either love or hate the book -- there's little middle ground in opinion. My guess is that you would enjoy the book.

Pteronarcyd

Edited by Pteronarcyd

Harry D. Colp's "The Strangest Story Ever Told". The Alaska ferry system use to sell them for $1 on board... Amazon has a used copy for $410. WOW! I takes place in Thomas Bay... It is a fun book.

LAL, which of the '4' did you know and how?

I have read LMS, Grover K and John G's Apes and DP's Hoopa.

Was going to get 'Tribal BF' but backed off when told the price. Anyone read it?

Edited by megatarsal

LAL, which of the '4' did you know and how?

I met Peter Byrne in Hood River, Oregon, when he addressed an Audubon Society meeting there. He was part of Bigfoot Daze in Carson, Wa., and I saw him there but didn't get to talk with him. He still had the Bigfoot Research Project going at the time.

ETA a link for those of us who don't have $410 to spend on Colp's book:

http://www.bigfooten...s/harrycolp.htm

I am thoroughly immersed in Debanat (Sasquatch/Bigfoot and the Mystery of the Wild Man) right now. I caught a couple of errors (the Bridge of the Gods - which was really more of a dam - was near Cascade Locks and not near The Dalles, e.g.) but he covers so much! Woody Guthrie, Hiram Smith, Johnny Appleseed...........not the typical bigfoot book.

Edited by LAL

I suppose Peter Byrne is too old to do 'research' now? Be nice to know that he gets to see them proved (hopefully ;) )before he passes on.

I read the Colp story a few years ago. Its a good one. Someone must have found the location to see if it was a real place by the landmarks given. And how come its described as a 'book'. $410 for a couple of pages?? Or is there more to the story than put out on BF Enc?

I suppose Peter Byrne is too old to do 'research' now?

I don't think he thinks so. We've been e-mailing recently.

• 7 months later...
Guest bjorn218

The AARF Show, Robert Morgan, Leigh Culver, and crew....

My link

Got a few more, desperately need the full collection though. So so very hard to find. Got the first 10 shows, excellent shows chock full of information.

MNBRT, IMHO the best put together of the shows/most organized/easiest to sort through...tough call, all of them are so great!

My link

Nite Callers, another great great show. Listened to a few, like with Robert Morgan, David Paulides, Autumn Williams, Coonbo(Real great show), Etc...Blog Talk Radio

Bigfoot Quest, got a great show with Stan Courtney. Blog Talk Radio

And of course another real fantastic show is Sasquatch watch, another show with a mind boggling interview with Stan and so so many others, these guys really got it together! Blog Talk Radio

As I said still looking for the rest of the AARF show, missing most of it. Once I get that and Robert's Artist first show down I will have completed my extensive collection of shows. So many I will probably never get to most of them in my entire life tbh, but got em for safe keeping. Easy to download them all(One click in fact) with itunes(A must have on any computer). Right now i have almost 800 shows taking up almost 20 gigs of space(That is all! They are really small files for 2 hour long shows!) And spanning for 55+ days if played all in line O.o There are alot of other shows out there besides what I have posted too! Gives you a idea of the sheer scope of this field, it is stinking massive!

Here is a link to the AARF shows dating back to 2007 http://www.podfeed.net/podcast/THE+AARF+SHOW+BIGFOOT+RADIO/13902 Hope it helps. I like the show way better than Coast to Coast AM.

Sorry for interrupting as this is my first post on this forum. Thought I would lend a hand.

To the OP, What got me started was any of the old pulp paperbacks from the late 60's, early 70's. I picked up my first one around 1980 at a yard sale when I was a kid and been on the look out ever since. Everything that has been mentioned so far in the thread is definitely worth looking into. One thing I would suggest though is if/when good source material stars getting tedious or more school-like, put it down and read something coming from the fantastic angle. I can only speak for myself, but sometimes that will get my interest resparked after heavy reading. YMMV.

Cheers,

B

Edited by bjorn218

Here is a link to the AARF shows dating back to 2007 http://www.podfeed.net/podcast/THE+AARF+SHOW+BIGFOOT+RADIO/13902 Hope it helps. I like the show way better than Coast to Coast AM.

Sorry for interrupting as this is my first post on this forum. Thought I would lend a hand.

To the OP, What got me started was any of the old pulp paperbacks from the late 60's, early 70's. I picked up my first one around 1980 at a yard sale when I was a kid and been on the look out ever since. Everything that has been mentioned so far in the thread is definitely worth looking into. One thing I would suggest though is if/when good source material stars getting tedious or more school-like, put it down and read something coming from the fantastic angle. I can only speak for myself, but sometimes that will get my interest resparked after heavy reading. YMMV.

Cheers,

B

I had come across these old archives sites way back when, but all of the material is actually not there. It is all down/has expired/was removed what have you. Thanks for trying though!

Guest Twilight Fan

I still want to find On the Track of Unknown Animals without having to donate a kidney and a cornea in the process

No donated kidneys needed, Shelly. The link to that book is right here, it looks pretty used but the price is much cheaper to start - ONLY $15 - and there is only 9 HOURS left if you wanna try to bid on it!; http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRACK-UNKNOWN-ANIMALS-BERNARD-HEUVELMANS-ABRIDGED-EDITION-/150744888777?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item23191875c9

I will not bid on the book, I will not bid on the book, I will not.....................There are no bids on it so far.

Some good ones are showing up on Kindle. For those without a Kindle Kindle for PC works just fine and the software is free. Some books can even be loaned for two weeks.

I like the search engine and with the PC version copy&paste is possible. I'm hopeless with a paper index and typing out paragraphs while trying to keep the book from flipping closed is not something I ever want to do again. Kindle versions are usually cheaper and they take up no room on the bookshelf.