Update on Olympic Project nest sites

BigTreeWalker

24 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If fairly fresh nests are being found, one would think that plenty of hair samples would be available

"Time sensitive" samples were also collected.

BFF Patron
On 3/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, norseman said:

Sigh....

It was an Elk wallow!! They baited it with fruit. They know that Elk were using it intermittently. The reason they picked that spot was that it would easily hold tracks. Instead of tracks? They got a body imprint. With no elk tracks leading out of it. So it wasn’t an Elk.... So what was it? Being a hunter I would never rule out a Bear because they follow their nose. 10x better smell than a blood hound. But scientists got together and proclaimed it was a large primate based on the morphology of the body cast.....Dunno.

But your simply playing the odds game versus truly looking at the evidence. Very frustrating.

Did you see the worlds largest Sitka spruce? It’s funny because Randles used to be a member here. Did the JREFers run him off?

Randles left over the seemingly endless discussion about a FLIR picture.   I think when the conversation with hard core skeptics included flying cows that was it for him.    He stopped posting a few days later.    As a proponent member at the time,   we spent a lot of time being angry because of personal attacks.   I nearly quit myself.  

• Upvote 1

^^^^^ Was that the event where a cow on a thermal image was identified as a bigfoot?   A moooooving experience.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

BFF Patron

The argument for it being a cow was disputed because they claimed the cow would have to have been airborne to be that high in the image.   That is where the flying cow term was coined.       The FLIR thing has always been problematic to me.    Other than something possibly bipedal in a FLIR picture there is not much that can be learned from FLIR because of the poor resolution that most privately owned FLIR cameras have.   Most of the time you cannot even tell if it is a human or BF.  I have always been an advocate for using UV with an illuminator.   Most cameras with visible light capabilities can be modified to use UV light.      A visible light camera has many times better resolution than the best FLIR cameras.    Recently I got a UV LED lamp to sterilize food packages and kill COVID virus.     The lamp produces 30 times the UV that the sun does.    That means anything dozens of yards from the lamp would be visible in a UV picture.    Of course you need to have protective glasses and protect your skin from a really bad sunburn.  

BFF Patron
On 5/31/2020 at 10:41 AM, Huntster said:

In The Nature of the Beast, Bryan Sykes outlines a dna testing procedure that eliminates the "human contamination" results so common in previous testing. As long as the hair sample is collected with basic scientific care and it is fairly fresh, it should yield valid results. 

If fairly fresh nests are being found, one would think that plenty of hair samples would be available. 

According to Meldrum,  he believes BF hair does not contain a medulla.   Sykes seems to be ignoring the fact that if a hair does not contain a medulla, it will not contain DNA.  He should know that!   Without the medulla, unless a hair has been pulled out, and has tissue attached to the roots, there is no DNA associated with the hair.   Could it be that Sykes assumes all suspected BF hair is really a bear?    Sometimes I wonder what game he is playing.   

Page 131, The Nature of the Beast:

.......A few weeks before our meeting, lady Antonia Fraser, Pinter's widow, had asked me during a chance meeting whether, even after his death, I could link Herald to one of the seven maternal European clan mothers that I had identified and who became the heroines of my first book, The Seven Daughters of Eve. That would have been an easy task had Pinter been alive. A simple mitochondrial DNA analysis from a cheek swab would have done it. I was curious to see if I could still fulfill her request, knowing that all I had to work with was a few hair shafts that were last truly alive 10 years before. Until this time I had only ever tried to retrieve DNA from hair roots, the follicles containing thousands of cells. Hair shafts, extruded by the follicles, are strictly speaking dead, but I was aware that new forensic techniques that often managed to find traces of DNA even within these lifeless strands.

Rather than attempt to apply these demanding new techniques in my own laboratory, I called one of my former colleagues, Dr. Terry Melton. From her time in my laboratory, where she was working on genetic links between Polynesians and the indigenous people of Taiwan, I knew Terry to be an extremely careful and professional scientist. I also knew that after she left my lab, Terry had set up a company specializing in the forensic genetic analysis of hair samples. By the time I spoke to her, she had built up a good reputation among the forensic community with all the necessary accreditations and a string of clients from law-enforcement agencies around the world. I asked Terry whether she would take on the task of analyzing Harold Pinter's hair and she agreed.

Though I had twenty strands of Pinter's hair, Terry only needed two, and even then the second hair was only a back up in case the first analysis failed.........

Dr. Melton's webpage:

http://mitotyping.com

There's more: 

Sykes used Dr. Melton's lab for all the hair extractions on the yeti sampls, which of course, were submitted by others, not collected by himself. This was done for much the same reasons that Ketchum used various labs instead of her own for the peer review process.

Sykes also consulted with Dr. Henner Farenbach, who has studied sasquatch hair extensively, and who cheerfully submitted samples himself to Sykes for analysis.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:27 AM, BobbyO said:

A recent Shane Corson interview which clarifies some stuff about the old nests and tells about new nest finds, and a "something happened" when found.

Thanks for sharing this! Shane was amazing to interview during this episode and such a humble guy. Loved being able to hear him talk about the new nest finds which is extremely exciting. I also talked to him about the Devil’s Creek property in this episode but unfortunately the property had been sold and is no longer available for researchers to utilize. Sad news there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hiflier said:

It was a fine interview, bigfootsociety, you did a great job on your end. Thank you!

Thank you hiflier! I appreciate the kind words!

SSR Team
6 hours ago, bigfootsociety said:

Thanks for sharing this! Shane was amazing to interview during this episode and such a humble guy. Loved being able to hear him talk about the new nest finds which is extremely exciting. I also talked to him about the Devil’s Creek property in this episode but unfortunately the property had been sold and is no longer available for researchers to utilize. Sad news there. 

I went up there in 2018 before it was sold, blew my mind how close to civilization it was but yet so far away where the density of the forest was concerned. My biggest take away was how incredibly thick it was so quickly off the main road, it was incredible to me and legitimately like a different world. There's still action in that general area too, and there was a report within maybe 5 miles the week before I last flew out in January from somebody who spotted one outside their own home.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2020 at 2:26 PM, BobbyO said:

I went up there in 2018 before it was sold, blew my mind how close to civilization it was but yet so far away where the density of the forest was concerned. My biggest take away was how incredibly thick it was so quickly off the main road, it was incredible to me and legitimately like a different world. There's still action in that general area too, and there was a report within maybe 5 miles the week before I last flew out in January from somebody who spotted one outside their own home.

That is amazing @BobbyO! So cool you actually got to go to the property! Reminds me of being in Yosemite and how you go into the woods right off the road and it’s like you’re in prehistoric times! 😄 👣👣👣

On 6/4/2020 at 3:26 PM, BobbyO said:

I have always found the Devil's Creek accounts to be interesting.  The couple who were featured on the OK Talk podcast seemed very credible.  I know that a documentary was being shot about their experiences, but I seem to remember funding being an issue.

@BobbyO, do you know if the activity continued with the new owners?

I did ask Shane this question in my interview and he said that unfortunately the new owners are not into it. I would love to know what’s going on for them and how a non Bigfoot believer would interpret those kind of events!

1 hour ago, bigfootsociety said:

I did ask Shane this question in my interview and he said that unfortunately the new owners are not into it. I would love to know what’s going on for them and how a non Bigfoot believer would interpret those kind of events!

Just like we have Bigfoot enthusiasts who interpret mundane events or evidence as signs of Bigfoot, people who are dead set against the idea of Sasquatch will perform mental gymnastics if necessary to explain away out of the ordinary occurrences that align with the usual reported Bigfoot activity.  

BFF Patron

We see both here.     Some think there is a BF behind every tree and interpret shadows as watching BF in their pictures.    The sceptics of course think we do not know the difference between a bear and BF.  I find it interesting that most skeptics are not really outdoors people.  There are exceptions to that in the some lifelong hunters say because they have never seen one, BF cannot exist.     They are likely the ones that if they do see a BF are afraid to go hunting again.   The experience can shake your concept of reality.   

Does anyone know if they have any sort of evidence associated with the nests tying it to BF?    Footprints or something like that?   If not that would put the nests in the same category as stick structures etc.   Just presumed to be constructed by BF.     No one finds footprints or has seen a BF making a stick structure either.  I know it is unlikely but something else could be making the nests.   The reports are rare but there are some giant bird reports now and then. 

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic