Field trips 2.0

BC witness

8 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

What was that, about 150 to 200 yds from your rig? 

probably. But I’ve flown it a mile and a half away. As long as you have decent line of sight. Get to far over a ridge and it will cut the feed. Drone will RTB if you cannot reestablish the link.

I just found it interesting that the bear was that close to you. It sure didn't seem disturbed until you flew the drone closer to it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

I just found it interesting that the bear was that close to you. It sure didn't seem disturbed until you flew the drone closer to it. 

In my experiences? Bears are individuals. Most run away. Some stand their ground. And a few come right at you. I found a video where the Bear walked right at the drone! You never know what you got with a Bear.

BFF Patron

Great.   Drones probably sound like an angry nest of bees to a bear.       I wish you could get the same thing with a bigfoot. Imagine the stir that would cause!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

In my experiences? Bears are individuals. Most run away. Some stand their ground. And a few come right at you. I found a video where the Bear walked right at the drone! You never know what you got with a Bear.

My experiences with bears has been pretty much the same. Most of the bears I have walked up on either ignored me or ran away as fast as they could go. The only one that walked toward me when it ran into my camp one night I scared off with a shot from my handgun. 

It's just interesting to me that we never know what's lurking around close to us in the woods. Without your drone you wouldn't have seen that bear unless he came toward you or you happened on him later. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

My experiences with bears has been pretty much the same. Most of the bears I have walked up on either ignored me or ran away as fast as they could go. The only one that walked toward me when it ran into my camp one night I scared off with a shot from my handgun. 

It's just interesting to me that we never know what's lurking around close to us in the woods. Without your drone you wouldn't have seen that bear unless he came toward you or you happened on him later. 

Oh absolutely! And if it had a thermal camera on it? Imagine how easily you could track stuff!

It’s like having a Cessna in your pocket!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Oh absolutely! And if it had a thermal camera on it? Imagine how easily you could track stuff!

It’s like having a Cessna in your pocket!

Give it time.  They will become more affordable and the quality will increase across all budget levels.  

Thermal Drone

• Thanks 1

Great pictures and writeup, Kiwakwe.

I managed to get out today, with another member from this forum. We convoyed in 2 vehicles, to maintain social distancing, but got to share some time in the high country together. Campfire was a failure, as it had bucketed rain just a couple of hours before we got there, and even logs that he split were still too wet to light. He had heard a report from a relative who had recently camped in the target area, of some deep sounding howls, so he felt a recce was in order. The road in was 10 km of good gravel, then 10 km of bone jarring potholes and washboard, followed with another 5km of broken rock on steep grades, that required real concentration to avoid shredding a tire or two. The reward at the end was a high ridge a mile above 2 large lakes that could both be seen from the same spot, one to the east and the other to the west. The rain held off, with some brief sunny periods, and enough breeze to keep the mosquitoes off until it died down about 3:45, then the bugs became a real annoyance, and I chose to head out, while he and his wife finished lunch and cleanup.

There were some bear tracks that he spotted in the moss where we lunched, but no other sign of any kind was found. The snow was gone from that height a little early this year, as we had a very warm and dry first 3 weeks of April. The salmon berries were already flowering, as well as the skunk cabbage in the damp hollows.

My pics are being stubborn about downloading from the phone again. When I get that sorted, I'll put them up here.

Edited by BC witness
  • Upvote 2

This is the area that BC Witness and I were in, yesterday. The altitude was almost 1 mile. Approximately 5000 feet elevation. Of course, I did have to include a picture of the Sasquatch my wife and I encountered. Who knew they drove Mitsubishi's?

IMGP7482.JPG

IMGP7493.JPG

IMGP7499.JPG

PIC_0025.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks BC, look forward to seeing your pics and thanks for the report. Cmknight, you guys were out in some beautiful country!

Great pics guys. Kiwakwe,  your area is so beautiful. Thank you for the gorgeous imagery. Good dialogue, too :) 

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic