Field trips 2.0

BC witness

It has come a long way since the first days when the fatality rate for power linemen was 1 in 2. Nowadays the industry has very rigid controls and procedures in place to mitigate accidents - but the hazard is ALWAYS there. Electrical contacts resulting in injury are now quite rare in my jurisdiction. That being said, we unfortunately had a lineman at our utility lose both hands to amputation due to a contact just two weeks ago. It has been many years since I can recall that type of accident in this province. Aerial lift (crane or bucket truck) accidents and helicopter crashes are the more common incidents now, it seems.

28 minutes ago, norseman said:

Trying to call a wolf in….

31st anniversary trip!

Wolf open down there, or you doing it just for fun?

Edited by langfordbc
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, langfordbc said:

It has come a long way since the first days when the fatality rate for power linemen was 1 in 2. Nowadays the industry has very rigid controls and procedures in place to mitigate accidents - but the hazard is ALWAYS there. Electrical contacts resulting in injury are now quite rare in my jurisdiction. That being said, we unfortunately had a lineman at our utility lose both hands to amputation due to a contact just two weeks ago. It has been many years since I can recall that type of accident in this province. Aerial lift (crane or bucket truck) accidents and helicopter crashes are the more common incidents now, it seems.

Wolf open down there, or you doing it just for fun?

Yes. Idaho. Montana and Wyoming too. But Idaho has declared war. I have two tags in my pocket. Im allowed 15 as a out of state resident.

From my vantage point last night I could look over the top of upper priest falls and see transmission lines in BC following the crows nest hwy (3).

Gonna jump over to the Moyie river drainage tonight and try my luck over by Montana tomorrow.

I know right where to go in Washington. But they will never open it there.🙄 

• Upvote 1

Just got camp set up day 2 above the Moyie River.

No return howls yet. Gonna try some coyote pup distress calls. 

2881758A-441C-4500-AB4A-D5398F472CEE.jpeg

F4CCFBE3-EFC8-4130-BFFD-481AF81E0292.jpeg

• Upvote 2

We basically run and gunned from Washington to Montana in Boundary county. Cut some decently fresh scat west of Bonners Ferry.

I tried wolf, coyote, coyote pups, elk, moose, calves in distress.

I think the wolves are educated over here.

Just got back. Wheh!

That's quite a trip! I really like the border country between BC and Montana , I hunted elk and deer in the headwaters of the Yahk for about a decade, in the '90s.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JustCurious said:

Regular dogs barking with the scent of a she in heat would have done the trick.

My caller has a bunch of sounds. I tried everything. No scent. But I was just trying to locate animals to make a set. I didn’t even get a response from a Coyote! 

On the Washington side the wolves will let you know where they are pronto. They will even trot up and stare at you.

Obviously in Idaho they make themselves scarce. Because they have been hunted for a while now, Im guessing...

30 minutes ago, norseman said:

My caller has a bunch of sounds. I tried everything. No scent. But I was just trying to locate animals to make a set. I didn’t even get a response from a Coyote! 

On the Washington side the wolves will let you know where they are pronto. They will even trot up and stare at you.

Obviously in Idaho they make themselves scarce. Because they have been hunted for a while now, Im guessing...

Do you require a trapper’s license and a registered trapline in Idaho in order to trap wolves?

Edited by langfordbc

2 hours ago, langfordbc said:

Do you require a trapper’s license and a registered trapline in Idaho in order to trap wolves?

Im not sure what that entails

7 hours ago, norseman said:

Im not sure what that entails

When you said "locate animals to make a set", I took that to mean you were making a wolf trap set.

In BC, in order to trap anything you're required to have completed the Trapper's Education Course, which allows you to get a trapping license. You can then acquire a trap line, lease one, or trap on private property (your own or with permission of the owner). I took it several years ago just out of curiosity though I'm not sure I'll ever have much of an interest in it. There are other "perks" to having a trapping license such as being able to legally gather roadkill - like the wolverine in good condition I should have grabbed two weeks ago up north. If I had access to a large freezer where I was it would have been cool to bring it home and get mounted.

Edited by langfordbc

22 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

When you said "locate animals to make a set", I took that to mean you were making a wolf trap set.

In BC, in order to trap anything you're required to have completed the Trapper's Education Course, which allows you to get a trapping license. You can then acquire a trap line, lease one, or trap on private property (your own or with permission of the owner). I took it several years ago just out of curiosity though I'm not sure I'll ever have much of an interest in it. There are other "perks" to having a trapping license such as being able to legally gather roadkill - like the wolverine in good condition I should have grabbed two weeks ago up north. If I had access to a large freezer where I was it would have been cool to bring it home and get mounted.

Gotcha. I know trappers use the term as well. I’ve snared rabbits on my ranch is all.

No I was talking about a call set.

Locate the animals, find a good ambush spot, cut some blocking vegetation and make a blind and set out my speaker and decoy and wait.

Apparently plenty of wolves in my area, Norseman.  

Went on a ride today with my girlfriend's dad and we came across a bunch of wolf scat, though all over a week old.  Must have been a pack moving through in order to  leave multiple piles like this within 25 yards...

IMG_20210623_144827356.thumb.jpg.a514d95a3431d9ee42bc60966c38d06c.jpg

IMG_20210623_151932590.thumb.jpg.28bce5f594a0d47ffcfbbdeca0410e5e.jpg

IMG_20210623_151941565.thumb.jpg.82df7ab0db1f626a0798a531f9f80cc5.jpg

Then, about a 1/4-mile up that skid trail, then another 100 yards down a game trail, I discovered a tree with very odd damage.

This was a young pine tree, maybe 10-15 years old, and about 20' tall.  At about 7' off the ground, it was twisted and bent over.  No other trees in the area had similar damage.  It was right along a game trail with no motor vehicle tracks, or ability for anything larger than a motorcycle to get through.  The trail ended about 50 yards later at a huckleberry patch.  Also lots of thimble berry plants and wild strawberry plants.  A dead stump had been recently ripped apart as well.

I have no explanation for how this tree was damaged like this, other than a Bigfoot marking territory, or a trail.

IMG_20210623_151318907.thumb.jpg.e7c6ab478ee5aaca8e1a3cb8b51aa6f6.jpg

Also, later on our ride, we went to the camping spot that my girlfriend and I used last summer in which we found similar damage to trees.  From last summer...

cvNGr1LSSR6JC7zzBY1L1A.thumb.jpeg.8b669842c25d9f8bbb6d53e244a886a6.jpeg

Today, about 1/4-mile up the gravel road from the camping spot, we detected a horrible odor.  Smelled like skunk, feces, and BO all rolled into one.  Was just for a few yards, then it was gone.  Turned around to go check it out and it was gone.

This was the section of road it was on...

IMG_20210623_135022476_HDR.thumb.jpg.eab1ee2edc832959d0b3c8085a25c4f1.jpg

So, still no sighting.  But, some strong sign and possibly got close enough to smell one, lol.

• Thanks 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic