Do you have to see one before you can know they exist?

TD-40

If any of you get out and do field research such as finding structures, tree leans, woodpiles, footprints, and any other physical evidence then is that enough to know that they exist? I have never seen one myself but I have seen all of these things.

I was chatting with someone where I was making the point that science will not accept their existence until they have a body to study. So there are two paradigms to determining if something is real, if something works, or if something is true: 1) Science, and 2) People's experiences. So science isn't everything. Now back to my original question. Do you have to see Biggie before you can know they exist?

Can't wait to see one but I am convinced based on my own experiences in the field they exist.  Last year I backpacked with a buddy to a remote area where we stayed next to a pond. We've been there before and know the area well.

One night, we heard two separate wood knocks coming from two different directions in response to my wood knock. The area where the first came from is surrounded on three sides by a very large swamp. In order for a human to get to that area, he would have to get past us. That didn't happen. Moreoever, we had scouted that area earlier in the day.

Given the remoteness of the location, the swamp surrounded the area in question, and the knocks coming at 10pm in total blackness, I am convinced it was not a human. That leaves one other conclusion.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

I think so.

No way would i think this animal existed without a sighting.

But......................saying that............... with what these numbers from the SSR that are starting to churn out, i'd definitely be more receptive to their existence without a sighting, but there is absolutely nothing else from a public researcher evidence perspective that would make me even remotely consider the possibility.

I most definitely say yes.   While I believe they exist I do not know it.  Humans are fallible and so can our interpretation of evidence.   I’m going to have to see one in person or at least open acknowledgment backed with photos or videos that science as a whole accepts it.   

I am going with no for a few reasons:

1.  Thousands of other people have seen them and only one of them has to be right.  

2.  The sounds they make cannot be attributed to any other known animal.  

3.  I have never seen a ghost, but I know they exists because I have a recording of one telling my family to leave an alley on night at a location in which I know there was no other people.  So for me, seeing is not everything.

4.  Not sure if this counts, but PGF film is convincing enough for me.

5.  There is a recorded history of them going back to the first men.  

Not a lawyer, but am sure I would win the case that they exists within a reasonable doubt in a court of law every day and twice on Sunday.

• Upvote 2

Existence is determined by the scientific method, the repetition and duplication of the suggested cause/effect regardless of the human factor. 

People under scientific principle have not invested the time to provide an answer that you and I can go out and replicate.

The problem is the human factor ( imagination, deception and miss-identification ) is part of the information stew we are looking at.  You have to see one to know they exist, otherwise you are operating on the trust that the information you have to examine is clean.

To truly know they exist, I'll say yes, least for myself. However, havin' not seen one, I'm still of the opinion they exist based on the evidence.

:drinks:

I would say no.  I found tracks impressed in moss when I was a kid on a fishing trip back in the late 70's.  None of us present could figure a way that someone could fake those tracks in the way that we found them.  Me and my hunting partner were stalked by "something" during an evening hunt back in 2006.  When we returned to camp a couple of hours later something screamed out us from what sounded like the direction we had been earlier that day. As if to say "Don't come back up here".  It was a scream I won't forget and the volume was incredible.  I have had 2 other instances that may or may not have been Sasquatch related.  I am 99.9 percent sure they are real.  I haven't seen one so I cannot be absolutely as sure as the people who KNOW they are real because they have seen them.  

I think I want to see one but am hesitant in that once I do,  I will "know", and my perception of the world around me will change forever.  Kind of like when Toto pulls back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz... 

Mossprint:"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"........... Great movie with 3 formats: Black & white, color, sepia.

I am in the 'no' group. I will add the olfactory factor.  I have seen them without an odor. I have been overwhelmed by the smell at times. The smell is unique, perhaps in the world.  Smell it one time and you will never forget it. So potent that it burns my sinus membranes.

Judgement by human senses is debatable:  health, age, gender( women's vision is a little different in chromatic factors). I still believe olfactory response should be considered. Daylight or artificial illumination is not required.

Sasquatch do not release an odor all the time. When they do, it will almost knock you over.

Nope. What NC said, and I believe I've heard/recorded them, and have seen objects that they have manipulated, which could not have been done by humans.

Don't really care if I see them.

I can't speak for anyone else.

I've had the sighting ... x2, decades apart.   So ... I can only hypothesize.    Considering the body of evidence, I think yes, I could be convinced by that alone.   The problem is, as I see it, dismissing ALL evidence requires such an incredible Rube Goldberg mix of excuses .. or sheer ignorance .. that as a logical person with a science background, the existence of an unknown hominid is by far the simplest answer.  In short, Occam's Razor, applied to the evidence, says they're clearly and unequivocally real as the simplest and most logical explanation.

The only doubt I have about that conclusion is whether I'd have taken time to truly adequately examine the evidence without those two sightings to keep my curiosity engaged.   If I did not, I might come to the same ignorant conclusion as the scoftic cadre.  

MIB

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, NathanFooter said:

Existence is determined by the scientific method, the repetition and duplication of the suggested cause/effect regardless of the human factor. 

People under scientific principle have not invested the time to provide an answer that you and I can go out and replicate.

The problem is the human factor ( imagination, deception and miss-identification ) is part of the information stew we are looking at.  You have to see one to know they exist, otherwise you are operating on the trust that the information you have to examine is clean.

I think the confusion here is whether each of us individually can know they exist by virtue of our own experience versus whether can we prove scientifically they exist. I am convinced due to the former and could care less about the latter.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:26 PM, TD-40 said:

If any of you get out and do field research such as finding structures, tree leans, woodpiles, footprints, and any other physical evidence then is that enough to know that they exist? I have never seen one myself but I have seen all of these things.

I was chatting with someone where I was making the point that science will not accept their existence until they have a body to study. So there are two paradigms to determining if something is real, if something works, or if something is true: 1) Science, and 2) People's experiences. So science isn't everything. Now back to my original question. Do you have to see Biggie before you can know they exist?

Had heard them, smelled them, seen their tracks, seen their trail markers, their prey remains and scat, but as far as "they" were concerned, they didn't exist until I saw the first one. 

We can strike out "paradigm" #1. That group knows, and has known of their existence for at least two hundred years. Like politics,politicians and the real world of both, it is left up to the people to determine the truth for themselves. Been in the pursuit of that that truth out there in the boonies for nearly fifty years; have yet to see or hear of a scientist still working on it. To them, it's an under-the-table, done deal.

• Upvote 1