Do you have to see one before you can know they exist?

TD-40

Admin
34 minutes ago, norseman said:

But if I saw one and didnt shoot it?

That's why I got concerned, at the time, I was unarmed.

19 minutes ago, gigantor said:

That's why I got concerned, at the time, I was unarmed.

Uh oh! I bet thats no longer a problem!

BFF Patron
3 hours ago, gigantor said:

The pic below was taken that day on the trail it happened. It was June, 2014 about 3pm, but the tree canopy made it seem like dusk.

WVFooter and I were going to place trail cameras at the bottom of a canyon in our research area. It happened on the way out. We got followed for about 1.5 miles. I got concerned near the end when it got closer and started crashing through the brush. Never saw it. You're a Premium member... we wrote about it in our journal. I don't know that a thermal would've made a difference because of all the leaves. Maybe.

IMG_20140724_153222743.jpg

So was the whole day as foggy as what you see in that pic?

If so, I understand why they felt comfortable shadowing you, one of my earliest class B encounters which happened months before a class A was of clear cut "monkey chatter" above a small ridge above a logging road in a similar weather inversion with heavy fog after a thunderstorm.  At the time I felt such chatter was directed at me.  It was no other known animal, I know that.  I was trying to sneak in and was busted somehow.  It was a very creepy experience and of course I was not recording or forgot my recorder that day.  Suffice it to say I did not linger given the very poor visibility.

To stay on point, the totality of class B experiences in my infestation were enornous prior to my class A but in no way would the B's have sufficed for my own determination of existence without the A despite that.  Later such things as recorded sumarai chatter, bipedal footfalls and imitated whistles and bird calls just put the icing on the cake for me. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 3

Admin
1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

So was the whole day as foggy as what you see in that pic?

Yes. Which surprised me. I thought they would stay sheltered because of the weather.

IMG_20140724_130539871.jpg

IMG_20140724_130533676.jpg

So I agree. Class B encounters take me 90% of the way there. But I need to see one to be 100% sure.

• Upvote 2

Admin

gigantor, that pic. took me back, it was just plain wet, as well as foggy.  I did have a 38. ready, LOL. Never Planned on shooting anything, but it was that close, I felt the need to arm myself.   WOW, was it ever close. Still, Blows my mind, no  movement of brush, rhododendron thickets, was detected or observed, and the footfalls were so clear, hearing water squishing at the end of each footfall, due to the evident Huge Weight of it, that's Close.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

So do you guys think you were running a predictable schedule and it was waiting for you or do you think you were just busted this particular day.

Reason I ask is that I usually did a predictable schedule thing during daylight movements through an area and one attribute of my schedule was picked up one night during one of my two overnites in a particular area.  It was the shaking of a particular tall locust snag on a deer trail.  Purpose was to gain recognition,  advertise presence and probably gain acknowlegment that I would recognize the signal.  Message received but I didn't intend on receiving a bipedal approach to my tent in the minutes following that.  It was only the second time I had ever encamped on that ledge and I have not since.

That was the only time I felt I needed to cradle a pistol during those several years worth of investigation.  Yes they have the power of observation and of intimidation down pat.  They definitely busted me on several occasions, day and night which was an odd experience for a person usually patrolling that particular area with a purpose for tens of years prior to those incidents; tables turned so to speak. 

• Upvote 1

Admin

It had to just have been Happenchance, due  to  a varying schedule.  I did go back there by myself at night, within a week or two of the encounter.  You think you would hear insects or something, it was silent, and I mean silent for the 3 hours I was there. Thought that very odd, although nothing happened.  I would also suggest, as soon as the car door shut, your presence is known.

• Upvote 1

WV Footer...how would a sasquatch sense your presence unless it was in earshot of the car? I suspect that is not an exceptionally long distance given how thick the forest is.

Admin

Sound Carries farther than you think in a quiet canyon, especially at night. 

I make an effort to drive "quietly" the last mile or so, and shut my truck door very slowly with as quiet of a click as I can.  All my suspected encounters have been daytime with me alone on a usually deserted trail.

My upcoming trip I'm planning on parking in another area farther away and approaching the "hot zone" cross-country thru the woods, a direction from which people never come. Slow and quiet, always being concealed from the view ahead until I've had a chance to look a little.

There are lots of things that make me strongly lean towards "exists", but it's the actual seeing that will convince me. I'm not trying to record or video, no gear, sometimes I think that helps.

miker

• Upvote 2

Admin

Here is a Photo of a Bigfoot which was taken a couple of mountains away from our Research Area. It Looks Huge. The photographer said it was around 8' Tall, and He left the area immediately.  A Very Good Photo, but is it convincing? It Looks like a Squatch to me, But, I am a have to See it for myself to believe it Guy....

55583b.jpg

• Upvote 2

The photographer said it was around 8' Tall, and He left the area immediately.  A Very Good Photo, but is it convincing? It Looks like a Squatch to me, But, I am a have to See it for myself to believe it Guy....

But how can we tell that it is 8' tall by a mere picture  with out another photo of that same area for comparing? Sure it might look convincing in the photo but as far as height we can not tell since it is on a mound.  I can understand why he might have left in a hurry and it is a good thing that he took the time to take a photograph of this creature. Most do not even get a chance. Like most people "seeing is believing" and I happen to agree with that statement. Most are not given that chance to see one and some are and some all though rare do get a chance to get a picture of these creatures. But I do give credit to those who have chosen to believe in these creatures on proof alone. This means on foot prints that have been found in places where most humans do not tread.

Maybe some of us are just waiting for someone else to do the hard work and get lucky by bagging one of these beasts and beating the .gov to national media sources that can't be ignored or undone?

:596d4ffe3293e_EmojiSmiley-188:

• Upvote 2

WV Footer. I've always been intrigued by that photo, and I think it is likely to be as close as we'll get, for some while to come, to a BF in the wild action photo using the current digital technology.  Maybe I just missed them, but are there no track photos to match?  It looks like your typical Allegheny ice-crusted snow conditions, and I can't believe something that big wouldn't have left some very prominent fresh tracks. What can you say about that, if anything? Thanks.