Do you have to see one before you can know they exist?

TD-40

I would not be totally convinced without a specimen captured or killed for examination and study. 

I am a human very capable of misidentification and wishful thinking. 

• Upvote 1

^^^ Basically my stance but from the proponent side.   My experiences leans toward them being real but I have to be open to the fact that I, and others, have misinterpreted the evidence in front of us. To err is human.  

• Upvote 1

Perfectly capable of seeing the forest for the trees in all the evidence and information out there, plus having a decent number of encounters on my belt, no sighting necessary.

This whole notion of "we all know how fallible human perception can be!" is laughably overblown in this field, I can't help but chuckle at the folks saying "I wouldn't believe it even if I saw it right in front of me!" Yeah...... you would. Gimme a break.

• Upvote 1

Given the number of encounters all over the country weighed against the verifiable evidence, in most cases I’d say the human has made an error.  

• Upvote 1

Admin

Personally, I am very convinced that Bigfoot Exists, especially  after the experience gigantor and myself had a few years ago.  No other explanation. But, seeing one would be the difference between believing and knowing.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Twist said:

Given the number of encounters all over the country weighed against the verifiable evidence, in most cases I’d say the human has made an error.  

I could not agree more. 

Guest Treadstone

No, I really don't need to see one to know the Old Hairy one exists.  I have found one single track a few years ago and I've heard one whistle while helping a friend set up a parabolic microphone on his property.  He had a what he called a heard of buffalo running thru his backyard a couple of nights before. He said it scared the heck out of him. So much so, he refused to go outside and see what all the commotion was.

For me, believing and knowing are two separate things. I have seen huge hand, naked butt and foot prints, saw tree tops twisted and hanging more than twelve feet high, and a "nest". I have heard wood knocks at close range, screams, howls, roars, growls, and samurai chatter and smelled a horrible stench along with some "mind" stuff. Twice during these encounters the person I was with saw what they described as a Sasquatch. So, I believe they exist and yet, with out a clear visual where no misidentification is possible, I cannot bring myself to say I know they exist. I can't explain any of what I have experienced with anything that makes sense until you say Sasquatch and then it makes perfect sense. 

• Upvote 2

Without getting into a metaphysical debate, we have five senses.  Those five senses give us sensory information about our environment.  If something creates a response in one of those five senses, then it is real.  Beyond that comes higher reasoning.  A single atom will not cause a sensory response in us by themselves.  We have to get creative and use higher reasoning and ingenuity to gain knowledge of those things that we cannot sense naturally.  It all moves from direct observation to indirect observation.  We interpret indirect observations by inference and deduction.  We often draw the wrong conclusions from indirect observation, at least for the first few attempts.  We accept that atoms are real (unless you are a field physicist) based on indirect observation.

Fortunately, Bigfoot is rumored to be bigger than an atom (or even a breadbox full of atoms), so indirect methods of observation should not be required if it exists.  The question that remains is how much sensory input do you personally require satisfy yourself that it is real?  It's different for everyone.  Some people won't be satisfied unless all five of their senses can interact with one.  Some people accept that Bigfoot exists with only one out of five senses being triggered.  Personally, three or four out of five is good enough for me.  I'll pass on the taste test and I'm not sure a Bigfoot will adhere to the human concept of "good vs. bad" touching. LOL    

• Upvote 2

Admin
7 hours ago, Belpherion said:

The question that remains is how much sensory input do you personally require satisfy yourself that it is real?  It's different for everyone.  Some people won't be satisfied unless all five of their senses can interact with one.  Some people accept that Bigfoot exists with only one out of five senses being triggered.  Personally, three or four out of five is good enough for me.  I'll pass on the taste test and I'm not sure a Bigfoot will adhere to the human concept of "good vs. bad" touching. LOL    

Good point.  For me, it's very difficult to know for sure without seeing one. Reasoning tells me they exist from the one experience I had in the field (being followed, brush breaking, footfalls), but my brain just refuses to accept it.

gigantor,

How long did the event last? Did you ever feel you were in danger? Was there daylight or was it dark? Finally, would a thermal have enabled you to see what was flanking you?

Admin
55 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

gigantor,

How long did the event last? Did you ever feel you were in danger? Was there daylight or was it dark? Finally, would a thermal have enabled you to see what was flanking you?

The pic below was taken that day on the trail it happened. It was June, 2014 about 3pm, but the tree canopy made it seem like dusk.

WVFooter and I were going to place trail cameras at the bottom of a canyon in our research area. It happened on the way out. We got followed for about 1.5 miles. I got concerned near the end when it got closer and started crashing through the brush. Never saw it. You're a Premium member... we wrote about it in our journal. I don't know that a thermal would've made a difference because of all the leaves. Maybe.

IMG_20140724_153222743.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2018 at 9:47 AM, ioyza said:

Perfectly capable of seeing the forest for the trees in all the evidence and information out there, plus having a decent number of encounters on my belt, no sighting necessary.

This whole notion of "we all know how fallible human perception can be!" is laughably overblown in this field, I can't help but chuckle at the folks saying "I wouldn't believe it even if I saw it right in front of me!" Yeah...... you would. Gimme a break.

I would believe my own eyes...absolutely. Mine! 

But if I saw one and didnt shoot it? Then I would feel like a failure. My own sighting would do nothing to prove its existence to the world. And it wouldnt be enough for me just to see it and then yell at skeptics for the rest of my life that “I know”! I want them to know too....

• Upvote 1