GLEN THOMAS

Daniel Perez

The late Glen Thomas claimed several sightings in Oregon in the late 1960, right around the time the P-G film was shot. John Green wrote about him first, in his 1968 book but it was only later, in Sasquatch by Don Hunter with René Dahinden, that his name was first printed in a book. That was in 1973.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

The location was Estacada, Clackamas Co., OR

Learned I had some ancestors that were original settlers in that area (and in northwest OR and Washington state) after I made some field trips west.

Thom Powell has visited the area on some field trips  in the past and apparently it is quite the boulder field. 

Joe Beelart of the forum could probably comment more on it, as I have not been there yet. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

Golden Mantle Ground Squirrels. Yum. Did Glen Thomas have 2 sightings within a short time period and then none for the rest of his life?

As far as I know, Golden Mantle Ground Squirrels are not in Washington State.

• gigantor featured this topic
10 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Golden Mantle Ground Squirrels. Yum........

LOL!:

https://expertvagabond.com/hunting-eating-chipmunk/

What Does A Timber Tiger Taste Like?........

I can’t discuss the taste of Oregonian rodentia from experience, but I am eminently qualified to say that I can’t stomach Arctic ground squirrels. I can’t even get past the smell of their fat to cook them. The bears and eagles can have them, and as far as I’m concerned, the sasquatches can have the timber tigers.

Pikas are the cutest little critters there are! I shared a camp with one for a week, and loved his company!

E518C2B5-4798-45F7-B4F9-978F3C3B8789.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Admin

Why you heartless, bloodthirsty neanderthal, I'm telling your grandkids!

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

Pikas are the cutest little critters there are! I shared a camp with one for a week, and loved his company!

E518C2B5-4798-45F7-B4F9-978F3C3B8789.jpeg

Loved his company?? No wonder he stuck around for a week LOL. Did you get all three with one shot because if you did then you are the best there is :) 

(Remind me not to share a camp with you, dude. Um, never mind, I can remember all by myself ;) )

Edited by hiflier

Those aren’t pikas. Those are Arctic ground squirrels. Rats with pretty tails. If they would respect my temporary presence while caribou hunting, they would fare much better, but the little rats steadfastly try chewing into my tents, including the one that does not and never had food in it. And there are hundreds of these things per acre.....maybe thousands. Upon setting up camp, one must shoot these pests back for a couple of days so one can leave camp for an hour or so and not return to find your camp utterly destroyed. The first year we found that valley, our tent and sleeping bags were destroyed and all our food fouled by the rats while we hiked up the mountain to glass for sheep. As we were returning, we could see movement from afar in our camp. Eyeing camp with binoculars, we could see the little vandals running all about and some even bouncing on the tent as if it was a trampoline. The following year we brought a dog and staked him down at camp to guard it from the pests, but when we hiked up the mountain, he howled and cried non-stop or hours. We could hear him for miles..........and so could the sheep, caribou.........and bears. We were then afraid that he would end up as lunch.

Now I just shoot several dozen of the little rats upon my arrival, and that seems to put the scare into the rest of them for a day or two.

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

Why you heartless, bloodthirsty neanderthal, I'm telling your grandkids!

LOL.......my war with the ground squirrels might be why Mrs. Huntster doesn’t want to go anymore. The year she shot her first caribou, we were sitting on a knoll feeding the little rats out of our hands. As long as I don’t have a camp to defend, I think they’re cute. But when I have $1000 worth of tents, cots, and sleeping bags set up, it’s war...........

Edited by Huntster
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Those aren’t pikas. Those are Arctic ground squirrels. Rats with pretty tails. If they would respect my temporary presence while caribou hunting, they would fare much better, but the little rats steadfastly try chewing into my tents, including the one that does not and never had food in it. And there are hundreds of these things per acre.....maybe thousands. Upon setting up camp, one must shoot these pests back for a couple of days so one can leave camp for an hour or so and not return to find your camp utterly destroyed. The first year we found that valley, our tent and sleeping bags were destroyed and all our food fouled by the rats while we hiked up the mountain to glass for sheep. As we were returning, we could see movement from afar in our camp. Eyeing camp with binoculars, we could see the little vandals running all about and some even bouncing on the tent as if it was a trampoline. The following year we brought a dog and staked him down at camp to guard it from the pests, but when we hiked up the mountain, he howled and cried non-stop or hours. We could hear him for miles..........and so could the sheep, caribou.........and bears. We were then afraid that he would end up as lunch.

Now I just shoot several dozen of the little rats upon my arrival, and that seems to put the scare into the rest of them for a day or two.

LOL.......my war with the ground squirrels might be why Mrs. Huntster doesn’t want to go anymore. The year she shot her first caribou, we were sitting on a knoll feeding the little rats out of our hands. As long as I don’t have a camp to defend, I think they’re cute. But when I have $1000 worth of tents, cots, and sleeping bags set up, it’s war...........

Had similar problem while backpacking with Chipmunks trying to chew threw my stuff. Problem was solved when I'd put some tissue paper out for them by putting a rock on top to keep it from blowing away. They were after material to add to their nest, same with squirrels. Their prefer choice would be insulation.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MindSquatch said:

Had similar problem while backpacking with Chipmunks trying to chew threw my stuff. Problem was solved when I'd put some tissue paper out for them by putting a rock on top to keep it from blowing away. They were after material to add to their nest, same with squirrels. Their prefer choice would be insulation.

I’ll give that a try next year!

BFF Patron

Try a full roll of paper towels next time, should keep them busy enough that raptors will see all the white going back and forth, just a suggestion. 

Pikas can pack rat your stuff too if you stray too far from camp.   Remember that from camping up near the Middle Teton morraine one summer. 

Forewarned is forearmed!

Cool pics of the rock pile with Mt. Jefferson in the background.  That looks like a do not miss trip to me. 

Edited by bipedalist

The pika I met in the Alphabet Hills stayed in his little rock pile. My camp was just above him, maybe 30’ away, and on tundra type soils. As I sat above him glassing down in the valley below, he would occasionally come out and chirp at me. He never approached the tents, though.

I think I’ve read that the boulder field Thomas observed the sasquatches in is not the only one in the area, but I’m still surprised that more such evidence has not been found there. One would think that such a food resource would be more regularly used, especially in the fall just before the snow covered it all up.

BFF Patron

The pikas are usually too busy stealing their brethrens green stores than campers for sure but you never know.  

I don't think they could haul off a bear canister though. 

14 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

.......I don't think they could haul off a bear canister though. 

I don’t use such canisters. If the bear shows up, it will be war just like with the ground squirrels.

I’ve used 55 gallon environmental drum over packs to store gear in the field. I would bury them to within a few inches of the top, then cover the top with wood and debris. Every single one was found by human thieves and burgled, even those hundreds of miles up rivers from the highway. Once I even caught a camp of scumbags redhanded with my stuff. When I collected the stuff remaining in the drum and even under their asses (camp chairs), it nearly started a gunfight, but I was good with it. I’d have killed them all, not for the gear, it for their attitude and the deadly mistake of flying the flag.

Actually, that happened two different times..........

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic