Emerson Recon bag

norseman

I just watched a good review of the Emerson Bag. It looks excellent. Well organized and, as I mentioned above, larger than the OKB. One thing I didn't see mentioned in the review was the docking loops which are already on the Emerson Bag.  They are the loops on the top of the bag on either side.

You should be able to "dock" your EB to your backpack with the addition of docking straps. I don;t know if you can buy them separately from EB but they would be available from HPG:

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/29

These two straps transfer the entire weight of the chest bag to your backpack. I was out on a hike on Saturday and docked the OKB to my Seek Outside backpack. There was no sensation of weight on my chest or trapezius (shoulder muscles) the entire day as the weight was transferred to my hips.  In the past, my trapezius would tire from the weight pulling down on those muscles. Not anymore with the docking straps. For a few dollars, it is an invaluable addition.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I finally broke down and purchased a Recon Kit Bag from HPG once I found one in multicam black.  While the Emerson bag was of better quality than I expected, the HPG is better in every way possible for my needs.  It is not as bulky, wears better with a pack, has a more streamlined layout in the main pistol compartment, and the straps seem to fit more comfortably than the Emerson.  To me it was well worth additional money.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

An update now that I have used the HPG bag for a few months...

This thing is great.  I keep it pretty lightly packed, but having the ability to carry my pistol concealed at chest level is much better than trying to carry it in a waist holster.  I usually carry a pistol, spare mag, lighter, compass, flashlight, keys, and a space blanket.  It does get a bit hot in the Carolina summer, but what doesn't?  I found a horizontal MOLLE pouch for my Leatherman, so it is easily accessible.  I also found a MOLLE attachment for an action can, so my camera is mounted at chest level.  It has held up extremely well...no loose threads or anything of that nature.

My girlfriend goes out researching with me, and uses the new HPG Snubby Recon.  It fits her smaller frame well, and allows her to carry a M&P Shield and her phone, along with an ESEE 3 attached to the MOLLE in an Armatus Carry sheath.  That pretty much maxes out her space for gear, although she does have empty space on the front MOLLE straps so she could attach some additional exterior pouches.  

All in all, I think that either the HPG or the Emerson would be a great addition to anyone's gear... especially if you want to conceal carry a firearm.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

An update now that I have used the HPG bag for a few months...

This thing is great.  I keep it pretty lightly packed, but having the ability to carry my pistol concealed at chest level is much better than trying to carry it in a waist holster.  I usually carry a pistol, spare mag, lighter, compass, flashlight, keys, and a space blanket.  It does get a bit hot in the Carolina summer, but what doesn't?  I found a horizontal MOLLE pouch for my Leatherman, so it is easily accessible.  I also found a MOLLE attachment for an action can, so my camera is mounted at chest level.  It has held up extremely well...no loose threads or anything of that nature.

My girlfriend goes out researching with me, and uses the new HPG Snubby Recon.  It fits her smaller frame well, and allows her to carry a M&P Shield and her phone, along with an ESEE 3 attached to the MOLLE in an Armatus Carry sheath.  That pretty much maxes out her space for gear, although she does have empty space on the front MOLLE straps so she could attach some additional exterior pouches.  

All in all, I think that either the HPG or the Emerson would be a great addition to anyone's gear... especially if you want to conceal carry a firearm.  

I've been using the HPG Original kit bag, no molle web on the front, which has pros and cons for me. If I had the ability to attach more shite, I probably would but as typically stocked it's heavy enough. The Rowlandized 1911 just fits, two extra 8 rnd mags, often the Esee 4 if not on my belt, a Brunton pocket transit, 8X25 binocs, headlamp, magnifying glass and lighter. If I don't have a pack on to balance it, I start dragging my knuckles. I haven't used the docking attachments as I like to pull the pack off from time to time without hassle. Nice, well made piece of kit and great access to firepower in the unlikely scenario.

2 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I've been using the HPG Original kit bag, no molle web on the front, which has pros and cons for me. If I had the ability to attach more shite, I probably would but as typically stocked it's heavy enough. The Rowlandized 1911 just fits, two extra 8 rnd mags, often the Esee 4 if not on my belt, a Brunton pocket transit, 8X25 binocs, headlamp, magnifying glass and lighter. If I don't have a pack on to balance it, I start dragging my knuckles. I haven't used the docking attachments as I like to pull the pack off from time to time without hassle. Nice, well made piece of kit and great access to firepower in the unlikely scenario.

Oh come on! You were knuckle dragging YEARS ago! ;)

Ive got a 1911 mag pouch and multi tool on my molle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Kiwakwe...I would advise using the docking straps and think you'll love it.  I load up my OKB as well and when I dock it to my backpack, which is always, the downward pull around my neck vanishes. It feels as though it is part of my backpack with the weight fully distributed.

Once you get the hang of connecting and disconnecting the straps, you can do it on the fly so it doesn't impede taking your backpack on and off.

18 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Kiwakwe...I would advise using the docking straps and think you'll love it.  I load up my OKB as well and when I dock it to my backpack, which is always, the downward pull around my neck vanishes. It feels as though it is part of my backpack with the weight fully distributed.

Once you get the hang of connecting and disconnecting the straps, you can do it on the fly so it doesn't impede taking your backpack on and off.

I'll give it a whirl!

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 2:20 PM, norseman said:

https://www.amazon.com/EMERSONGEAR-Tactical-Military-Paintball-Airsoft/dp/B07B9FG92P

Paid 60 bucks. Very pleased with it.  Easy to draw my pistol as well. I got the MC Tropic.

D90BA84F-BEC9-4A2F-BD47-9B505B24314E.thumb.jpeg.cc69b54f61245322414495bb32458a70.jpeg8995EDAB-B428-4488-BBE9-85B045D785BB.thumb.jpeg.69f09b4d691c3a39f6faa6d6a5207af9.jpeg

Norse...I have the perfect smartphone holder for your Emerson chest pack.  It can fold away when not in use and allows hands-free use of your phone. I'm going to get one and will use it when I'm scouting around the woods and bushwhacking.  When I want to follow a track on my topo map, my hands will be free. There is the original Juggernaut holder for the IMPCT case for your phone and there is the FMA version of it that is a fraction of the cost. If your phone fits one of cases, it is worth considering. I ordered the Juggernaut IMPCT case and will get PALS Armor mount.

Juggernaut cases and molle-case holder mount:   https://shop.juggernautcase.com/categories/mounts-accys-apparel/smartphone-mounts.html

FMA version (much less expensive):  https://www.fma-tactical-gear.com/collections/tb-fma-1/tactical-phone-case

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/14/2020 at 7:55 AM, wiiawiwb said:

Norse...I have the perfect smartphone holder for your Emerson chest pack.  It can fold away when not in use and allows hands-free use of your phone. I'm going to get one and will use it when I'm scouting around the woods and bushwhacking.  When I want to follow a track on my topo map, my hands will be free. There is the original Juggernaut holder for the IMPCT case for your phone and there is the FMA version of it that is a fraction of the cost. If your phone fits one of cases, it is worth considering. I ordered the Juggernaut IMPCT case and will get PALS Armor mount.

Juggernaut cases and molle-case holder mount:   https://shop.juggernautcase.com/categories/mounts-accys-apparel/smartphone-mounts.html

FMA version (much less expensive):  https://www.fma-tactical-gear.com/collections/tb-fma-1/tactical-phone-case

Neat little piece of gear.

Thanks for posting this up!  I may just look into getting one of these.

• 8 months later...

@norseman

@BlackRockBigfoot

I'm considering the Emerson Bag and thought I would get your long-term assessment of it.  There are times when I carry my large-bore revolver which barely fits in the HPG OKB if I squeeze it in. The Emerson Bag would afford an extra 1" of space which would be great. 

I also like the molle straps on it too. I'd like to rig a GoPro to it if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

@norseman

@BlackRockBigfoot

I'm considering the Emerson Bag and thought I would get your long-term assessment of it.  There are times when I carry my large-bore revolver which barely fits in the HPG OKB if I squeeze it in. The Emerson Bag would afford an extra 1" of space which would be great. 

I also like the molle straps on it too. I'd like to rig a GoPro to it if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I ended up returning the Emerson and getting the HPG Recon Kit.  

The Emerson seemed like it was good quality, but the HPG was definitely better.

If you want to run an action cam on the bag's MOLLE, I use one of these and it works very well.

MOLLE GoPro Mount

• 5 months later...

Went over the handle bars and landed on my Recon bag a week ago. Not good. Bruised some ribs and sternum. Hurts to breath. 

That 1911 isn't soft even in the bag! Oww!

Something to consider if you activity isn't hiking.

4 hours ago, norseman said:

Went over the handle bars and landed on my Recon bag a week ago. Not good. Bruised some ribs and sternum. Hurts to breath. 

That 1911 isn't soft even in the bag! Oww!

Something to consider if you activity isn't hiking.

Between your truck getting itself stuck a few times and now your handlebars tossing you over, it may be time to consider full time foot travel--with pads and helmet. Don't forget: 737 people die every year from falling out of bed. Be safe out there and thanks for the heads up.