Sign in to follow this  
norseman

Emerson Recon bag

wiiawiwb
Posted (edited)

I just watched a good review of the Emerson Bag. It looks excellent. Well organized and, as I mentioned above, larger than the OKB. One thing I didn't see mentioned in the review was the docking loops which are already on the Emerson Bag.  They are the loops on the top of the bag on either side.

You should be able to "dock" your EB to your backpack with the addition of docking straps. I don;t know if you can buy them separately from EB but they would be available from HPG:

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/29

These two straps transfer the entire weight of the chest bag to your backpack. I was out on a hike on Saturday and docked the OKB to my Seek Outside backpack. There was no sensation of weight on my chest or trapezius (shoulder muscles) the entire day as the weight was transferred to my hips.  In the past, my trapezius would tire from the weight pulling down on those muscles. Not anymore with the docking straps. For a few dollars, it is an invaluable addition.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

BlackRockBigfoot

I finally broke down and purchased a Recon Kit Bag from HPG once I found one in multicam black.  While the Emerson bag was of better quality than I expected, the HPG is better in every way possible for my needs.  It is not as bulky, wears better with a pack, has a more streamlined layout in the main pistol compartment, and the straps seem to fit more comfortably than the Emerson.  To me it was well worth additional money.  

• Thanks 1

BlackRockBigfoot

An update now that I have used the HPG bag for a few months...

This thing is great.  I keep it pretty lightly packed, but having the ability to carry my pistol concealed at chest level is much better than trying to carry it in a waist holster.  I usually carry a pistol, spare mag, lighter, compass, flashlight, keys, and a space blanket.  It does get a bit hot in the Carolina summer, but what doesn't?  I found a horizontal MOLLE pouch for my Leatherman, so it is easily accessible.  I also found a MOLLE attachment for an action can, so my camera is mounted at chest level.  It has held up extremely well...no loose threads or anything of that nature.

My girlfriend goes out researching with me, and uses the new HPG Snubby Recon.  It fits her smaller frame well, and allows her to carry a M&P Shield and her phone, along with an ESEE 3 attached to the MOLLE in an Armatus Carry sheath.  That pretty much maxes out her space for gear, although she does have empty space on the front MOLLE straps so she could attach some additional exterior pouches.  

All in all, I think that either the HPG or the Emerson would be a great addition to anyone's gear... especially if you want to conceal carry a firearm.  

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this