Blockbuster News

Guest Silver Fox

One more thing I'd like to make very CLEAR. I did not know the bear hunter before this happened. He had no kill Bigfoot agenda. He didn't know Bigfoot from shinola. There's nothing to the "let's kill one for proof" idea. I would NEVER advocate killing one of these amazing beings to gain proof. Never. That also is the truth, but if this unfortunate incident can help insure that it doesn't happen again then that's the best possible outcome.

Edited by Derekfoot

Guest vilnoori

A famous and experienced hunter mistook a bigfoot for a bear? He was close enough to identify it as a female but still mistook it for a bear. First of all, I do know that hunting laws (at least here) require you to have positive visual identification of your target animal before you pull the trigger or loose the arrow. Rock is right. Not only do you have to make sure it is a bear, but you have to verify it isn't a juvenile, and most bear hunting disallows killing a female with cubs, also. In this area you are not allowed to jump out of your truck and kill an animal on the road, there is a specific distance from the road in which hunting anything is not allowed. Is it not the same in that area?

Then, the young animal came up and looked menacing. Why didn't he fire again and try to scare it away? It was, what, 80 pounds, and he decided he had to kill it? That's comparable to a kid of about 11 or 12. A grown man does not have to kill it because he is in fear of his life, come on.

Third, if the DNA tests prove it to be human tissue, of whatever variety/species, and this story really is true they better have an account ready that does not involve killing people or they/he will stand for manslaughter or murder. Instead suggest that a body part was shot off, or even that they found the carcass already shot and possibly too decayed to identify if it was human or bear. Why bring killing into it at all? If you were really a smart person who had shot two bigfoot you better be prepared with a plausible story that doesn't involve possibly murder, and even, doesn't involve finding identifiable remains of anything even close to human, because the law will be looking for you as soon as the DNA evidence comes out. I'm sorry, but spreading the story all over the Internet is not going to help at all.

First of all, I didn't spread the story all over the internet, silverfox did, very inaccurately I might add. That's the only reason we spoke up, to try and cut through the BS. And he's not a famous hunter, that's ken the guy who's word is crap and can't keep his mouth shut. Everyone always has a better idea how things should be handled. It's a rotten situation but some good can come out of it.

Guest bsruther

If it happened, the only one or ones that know how it happened were those that were present. Maybe he did identify it as a Bear and found out otherwise after the shot. People posting in this thread with opinions, don't know all the facts of the incident, and having two different stories to go on, clouds the story even further. Until the facts come out, if at all, it's probably best to go find some other travesty to assert your moral authority over.

Vil,

Your interpretation of the details is pretty far from what Derek has shared here. The "famous" bear hunter is NOT the individual who shot the sasquatches. Please thoroughly read all of the available information before jumping to conclusions.

I don't believe that the killing of these creatures will be a legal issue and, in my opinion, nor should it be.

Unless there is a specific law that addresses this scenario, I don't see how this hunter would have any consequences. In Texas, if you shoot an animal as a result of mistaken identity, then you are held liable for that animal, in respect to it's specific identity and associated status as a game or non-game animal. In short, if you think you're shooting at a duck and then the duck turns out to be a Whooping Crane, you're help responsible, regardless of your intent or willingness to cooperate with authorities. That being said, an animal that's killed by accident, must have a designation by state or federal agencies. As has already been pointed out on this thread, Bigfoot does not exist and has not been categorized in even the most basic way. Therefor, shooting one is not against the law; unless you happen to be in Washington or certain counties in other states. As far as the authorities are concerned, it's just as legal to shoot a Bigfoot as it is to shoot a werewolf, zombi or ghost; with the assumption that you do so in an area that's legal to discharge a firearm.

Some people have also pointed out that there could be legal repercussions after the fact. That's another fallacy and goes against our constitutional rights. Even if Bigfoot turns out to be human, he's not human right now, insofar as the law is concerned.

Personally, I believe that the death of one of these creatures, regardless of the circumstances, will ultimately advance their existence by allowing us to protect them with laws and public awareness. The hunter that killed the two Bigfoot recently has done this community a huge favor. Regardless if he killed them with or without intent. As Derekfoot has pointed out, he did it by accident and is remorseful that it happened.

However, if this story proves to be true, this hunter will probably be the last person to have legally shot and killed a Bigfoot.

Guest Joey Kay

I feel sad for that 1 BF that got left. I hope he/she is okay. Its good the hunter feels bad becuase he should. I hope he doesnt get locked up tho, that would be too much of an punishment.

Im starting to feel that I dont want BF to found, like somone said above me guys are gonna go crazy hunting for it.

And what if BF is found to be human and someone hunts it then gets themselves killed or messed up in the process, the police gonna go ad arrest the BF?

Still i hate all people that hunt for sport, it so pathetic. I mean if you do it to feed your fam then whatever, then do waht you gotta do. But you guys who go after animals with such an advantage with your big guns I hope the tables turn and you get hunted 1 day.

Why isn't that happening now? I'd say the lack of a black market trade in bigfoot parts is a surefire sign that there are none to collect.

Are you kidding me!? Does that mean the dried Bigfoot testicle powder I just got at Garcia's Flea Market is not going to help my love life? Sucks!

Joey....take cover :lol:

......and what are my umbrellas sat in if its not a big hollowed out foot???

Edited by megatarsal

Are you kidding me!? Does that mean the dried Bigfoot testicle powder I just got at Garcia's Flea Market is not going to help my love life? Sucks!

San Antonio is a romantic town - you don't need that stuff.

Still i hate all people that hunt for sport, it so pathetic. I mean if you do it to feed your fam then whatever, then do waht you gotta do. But you guys who go after animals with such an advantage with your big guns I hope the tables turn and you get hunted 1 day.

I'm not a big fan of trophy hunting either Joey, but let's just say there are multiple reasons for hunting other than having no other way to put food on the table.

Just one example, Snow Goose populations in North America have increased so quickly over the past few decades that the birds are now doing effectively irreparable damage to their fragile tundra breeding grounds through their grazing. In the process they are reducing habitat for multiple species that share their breeding range. Wildlife managers have responded by increasing the length of the hunting season for Snow Geese and gradually increasing the bag limits. In some mid-continent states like Nebraska there is no bag limit and no season - you take as many Snow Geese as you like whenever you encounter them. Part of the reason these liberal regulations haven't solved the problem yet is that the number of waterfowl hunters is declining.

Anyway, there is no way a hunter can eat all 20 or 30 geese he gets from a day afield, so it's not about food. It's also not about trophies - once you have one good Snow Goose mount in your den, that's enough for most people. But we NEED hunters right now to try to get this population down to a more manageable level or the situation for multiple species of tundra-breeding birds in the Arctic could get pretty grim.

Guest Cervelo

Joey,

If I were you I'd go hug a tree! Its a great feeling and Bigfoot will see your a great person! I love animals to especially the tasty ones! :)

I would also anticipate that even though the DNA analysis and films will start the ball rolling faster regarding specific protection, it will take a while to resolve. In the interim, the DNA analysis and films will draw the attention of hunters worldwide, convincing them that bigfoot exist, and there will be a whole lot of new people out there in a headlong rush trying to be the first to bag one. This will happen worldwide, wherever similar species are reported.

In North America, the guy that brings in the first specimen is going to get a pass. His specimen will confirm the newly public evidence, and then bigfoot will get specific protection rather than fall under a general statutory clause. After that, more will be shot by people claiming self-defense. Public sentiment will be split between those who want to protect the species, and those who will want to blame the species for missing persons, are afraid of the environmental consequences of their protection, and other reasons.

It will take a live capture, live study, and successful prosecution of a hunter to ultimately put an end to this - in North America.

Species Verification = Open Season

I don't necessarily agree with that.

If the DNA we get out of this is human, or close enough we can't declare it an animal, then people will be comitting homicide, and they better hope there is no proof of that. If the DNA proves there is something else out there then it will be protected offiicially. No need for more specimens.

San Antonio is a romantic town - you don't need that stuff.

It's only romantic from mid October to mid May. The rest of the time it's too hot for anything besides A/C and sitting still. Perhaps that would explain the scarcity of a local Bigfoot population.....lack of A/C?

Guest Joey Kay

Yeh i didnt think of it like that Saskeptic and probably never would have. I never thought the idea of population coontrol would be a good one but you bring up good points. But arent we as a species guilty of exactly the same things as the snow goose would you condone in someone lowering our numbers.

And to Cervelo I will be hugging a tree 2morow to see if it is a great as you say ;)