Low End Gear And Research Equipment

hiflier

Admin
12 hours ago, bipedalist said:

^^^  Ever use one in real life?   

I have a one that is not water proof, no solar panel and only 5000 mAh. It's also not in a case...  The unit above is a great improvement.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

32,000 mAH Battery Charger

I picked up one of these off of Amazon when they went on sale.  It doesn't have a built in solar panel, but I have found the small solar chargers to be limited in their effectiveness... They take forever to build up a charge.

It has been great so far for a few nights out in the woods. It has 3 outputs and has kept our phones, cameras, and other electronics charged and running.  I have several of the Goal Zero folding panels, so I figure for extended excursions I can run a few together to top off this charger.

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

On 2/10/2019 at 11:14 AM, wiiawiwb said:

One device I do NOT have and would love to is a parabolic listening device. I've heard mixed reviews about this unit which is inexpensive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202348825822

I've seen posts from people who made their own larger parabolic device which would be infinitely more effective and could be reasonable if you knew how to make one. I'm all thumbs so there's little hope for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBhJWTPzohY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOxmdVWbmDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLiUJoLJYRs

I've found they don't last very well in cold weather, so thats one item worth spending a little on.

Kayak ... there's a better option at lower cost.    Look into PackRafts ... Kokopelli Rogue-Lite.   https://kokopellipackraft.com/product/rogue-lite/.   The weight is around 5.5 pounds compared to the kayak's 20 pounds and it folds / packs smaller.   I want one for hike-in fishing and access to islands in lakes for camping.   I think it'd strap to an external frame pack very nicely.

A parabolic mic is directional.   Unless you have a specific direction to target, you're better off with an omni-directional mic.    The built in mics on most audio recorders aren't that great so I use aftermarket mics with my small audio recorders.   I very much like the Olympus ME-51S.    If you want a very small directional mic, I've been playing with the Edutige ETM-008 and it seems to be pretty good.    You can get both through Amazon fairly cheap.    One recorder that does seem to have decent built in mics is the Tascam DR-05, not to say they can't be improved on, but the margin of improvement is slimmer.

So far as recorders, the one I use in my pack while I'm hiking is an older Olympus.   The ones I set out when I'm backpacking are Sonys.    The Tascams are a bit bulkier and heavier .. mostly use those car camping where bulk and weight don't matter.   Each type has strengths and weaknesses.   My selections for each use is intended to play on their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. 

MIB

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 4:53 PM, JKH said:

^I want that kayak.

Rather than a parabolic mike, you're better off with a good audio recorder. There are many, but I recommend Sonys. I bought mine for about $60 three years ago, now it's $229, crazy. It is the best tool for investigating that I know.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BOXNSRY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree about SONY and that's what I use....a Sony PCM-M10.  It's a really good recorder for the money.  Got some recordings using it last night that I have to examine.  A buddy of mine said he woke up and thought he heard a soft whoop in the wee hours of the morning but I was asleep. I'm hoping the SONY immortalized it. We'll see. 

I'm looking for something that will magnify the sounds of something walking 100+ yards away.  My SONY will record a scream, howl, moan, whoop, or gibberish.  I'm looking for a parabolic that will magnify the sound and alert me to the presence of something moving in the woods. Something the SONY probably wouldn't pickup.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I had one of those until it got rained on too many times. It was very good, but more expensive at the time. They certainly will capture approaches if they're close enough. However, if you want to be present and hear in real time, that's different. If you have any interesting sounds, post them in the audio thread!

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm looking for something that will magnify the sounds of something walking 100+ yards away.  My SONY will record a scream, howl, moan, whoop, or gibberish.  I'm looking for a parabolic that will magnify the sound and alert me to the presence of something moving in the woods. Something the SONY probably wouldn't pickup

You are looking for an in line mic pre amp.  The variables are cable / plug ( 3.5mm plug vs xlr plug ), how they are powered and cost to name a few.  Xlr to 3.5mm adapter cables are out there. Some are priced around $100 or less.  You will have to burn a lot of time to find an external mic---pre amp set up that works with your recorder. You will record self noise as in you handling the recorder, grumbling stomach after the cold pizza, debris falling on your tent / vehicle and distant gun shots and party animals.    I have never recorded anything during rainfall except rain. 

Did you side line the interest in a portable collapsible parabolic dish?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
On 5/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, Madison5716 said:

Found these little knife gadgets at Cabelas this morning for $12 each - fun!

20190518_135923.jpg

These are great little tools, in more ways than one. I bought my first one called the MiniMulti, pictured below, at an ACE Hardware in Seattle.

715TU195Outdoor600x600Web.jpg.41309ec3572104b6db9607f3223b4bb8.jpg

The brand name is True Utility. The tools are designed in the U.S. and manufactured in China if memory serves (I no longer have the package insert). The second one I bought at the ACE in Helena is like Madison's, though I actually bought it for the case though the tools are well made and useful. Those cases are acrylic, hinged with a secure latch and best of all, have a rubber seal and are waterproof. The cases make a handy little minor first aid kit that will fit in a purse or cargo pocket; I keep a dozen or so BandAids in two sizes and a tube of Neosporin and put together another one in the second case for my wife. My go-bag has a regular first aid kit plus a full trauma kit with Quik Clot, tourniquets, EMT shears, etc., but is a bit cumbersome to pack in Walmart and Winco (the machete handle protruding through the top might garner unwanted attention as well). In my experience, most day-to-day boo boos can be handled by the little kit, and for slivers, the tweezers in my EDC mini Swiss Army knife fill the bill.

Here's a link to the website of NEBO, the company that comes up when you click on the True Utility website. Amazon of course has them. All of the products I've seen in ACE Hardware stores come in the plastic cases, but I don't know if that applies to all of their tools.

https://www.nebotools.com/b/True-Utility/95

Edited by Airdale
Error correction
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic