Sign in to follow this  
hiflier

Thermal Images

hiflier
Posted (edited)

Thought this would be a good place to start this. These images are from a FLIR TK Ocean which is the same device as a FLIR TK Scout but with a different body color. It FLIR's low end model which is next in line after the FLIR One which attaches to an iPhone. These are all daytime pics.

Three baby birds in a nest inside a shrub:

PIC_0001.JPG.dda98910b0db8f8bd502774ceda02985.JPG

People in canoe and kayak:

PIC_0011.JPG.6b31610aff32f8bd84bc654e8234bae8.JPG

Trees about 3/4 mile across a bay:

PIC_0007.JPG.ee35bc7de19e4b3cf9894798853beffb.JPG

My dog:

PIC_0008.JPG.c7c29be65c739e1c57adcb689c9e303e.JPG

Edited by hiflier

wiiawiwb

Nice Hiflier. Very clear, with details, and easy to see what you're dealing with. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a huge proponent of thermal imagers.  Even in daylight, the forest where I go is thick and it seems to be eternal darkness, All the more reason to have a thermal even in day light where a sasquatch, bear, or whatever is out there may be camouflaged behind bushes. The thermal may pickup heat coming from between leaves or branches letting you know something is there.

TritonTr196

The flir tk model isn't bad is you're on a budget. Back when I got mine which was the 22nd one made as I had it preorder before they were released to the public. I did a few quick tests with it when I got it and found it's good enough to pick up flying bats in the middle of the night. They would fly in about 5 yards from me and then out to around 25 to 30 yards away from me in the air. Shows a rabbit next to one of our decks also at the end which was around 30 yards from me. It's weird also that you can see the moon in the TK also at night. I know quite a few researchers using the TK now and most doesn't know there is a little button wheel on the back side. It tightens up the picture so you can dial in a better outline. I found the middle position always worked best for me. The newer model TK could be better than the early version I got though but I have no clue.  I'll still plan on using the TK as a backup but recently I stepped up to a much more expensive thermal model from another brand that has left anything flir does in the rear view mirror. 

Here is the old TK thermal of the bats.

BlackRockBigfoot

As I posted in another thread, I have the Scout TK arriving tomorrow. I was going to go with either a Leupold or drop some coin on the Scout II.  I went with the TK due to its ability to record images and video.  Down the road I may upgrade to a better thermal unit that can record video out to a separate piece of equipment.  However, for now I want to keep it simple.  We are in the Smokeys a lot at night, and I think that a thermal scope will be worth the expense.

• Upvote 1

hiflier

At this point I think a TK Scout (I have the "Ocean" model which has a different body color) is the minimum anyone should carry. If one can afford more then go for it. But I'm with you, BRB, recording video as well as single images is a must.

Sign in to follow this