Thermal Images

hiflier

22 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I mentioned in another thread about a witness report I heard at a Portland Hopsquatch event.   I don't think it has ever made a data base.       A camper on an Oregon lake with a boat found a large juvenile rummaging around his boat.     They had a close face to face and the BF took off and never left moving on all fours for over a half mile.   It would seem that under close contact stress that a crouch is their position of choice.     Certainly makes sense in a world of armed humans.   

It would somewhat negate the disadvantage that their size causes.  Lower to the ground makes a smaller target.

I know the atlatl was used by some tribes to bring down large game. I have seen one in action, I think it could easily take out a bison with a well placed throw. And easy enough to "reload". Get several hunters around with these, and no game in North America would stand a chance. The atlatl was a bada$$ weapon. Not certain though that the people of the PNW used them or not.

49 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I don't believe that Native American bows were as powerful as their European and Asian equivalents

Edit note: Northwind posted one minute before me about the atlatl.

The "atlatl" is omitted from this discussion.  The 'spearthrower / dart thrower' were a global device. I think that there is over 200 names for the 'atlatl'. Brute strength was / is not required. It was a family hunting tool. In the weapon category, Cortez' men learned the easy way that the atlatl darts pierced their light body armor.  The atlatl does not have a good 'time stamp' since they decomposed but the claim is they were developed over 17,000 ago.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

BFF Patron

I watched that movie last night (The Great Raid) about the rescue of POWs in the Philippines.    Our soldiers had to crawl the last two miles because of lack of cover.  

Fair point concerning the atlatl.

I think that a lot of these primitive weapons might have been fair at taking down large prey animals.  Large, dangerous game is another story.  I think that Sasquatch would qualify as a large, dangerous animal.

As a youth, I read that a Plains Indian on horseback, galloping alongside a running bison, could loose an arrow that could pass completely thru the bison, if not striking bone.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of the statement, but thought I'd mention that was claimed in books I read. FWIW

BFF Patron
1 minute ago, Incorrigible1 said:

As a youth, I read that a Plains Indian on horseback, galloping alongside a running bison, could loose an arrow that could pass completely thru the bison, if not striking bone.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of the statement, but thought I'd mention that was claimed in books I read. FWIW

I think the idea was to puncture lungs with the arrows and take them down that way.     Several would concentrate on the same animal.    The plains did not have much in the way of cliffs to to drive them over.  

53 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I think the idea was to puncture lungs with the arrows and take them down that way.     Several would concentrate on the same animal.    The plains did not have much in the way of cliffs to to drive them over.  

Look up the term 'buffalo jump'.  The Indians did this to kill buffalo in mass.

I hate to use Wikipedia, but here is some information on it.  I read about it years ago and it stuck with me.

buffalo jump

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

57 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Hmmm.  You learn something new every day.

From This article.

"I figured out why that was the case after a talk I had with a doctor friend. It seems that most doctors are packing around a certain knowledge that has long avoided many Old West historians. There is a human physical abnormality known as Buffalo Chest, or Buffalo Lung. People suffering from Buffalo Lung have not two, but a single lung cavity. Wouldn’t you know it? The condition is named after the American bison, one of the few mammals that have this anatomical peculiarity.

Humans, with our double-lung cavities, may suffer the puncturing or collapse of one lung, and perhaps still get enough oxygen to survive until something can be done about the injury. Poke a hole in a buffalo’s lungs through either side of its ribs, and its entire lung system deflates like a single balloon. A lung-shot buffalo might keep on running for a ways, but it isn’t going to survive the trauma."

Buffalo apparently have a single lung cavity, as opposed to two. This makes them even more susceptible to lung shots.  

• Thanks 1

Well, I learned something new today, even though I have gutted 2 bison. About 15 years ago, a buddy and I each harvested a cow from the same herd, and spent the rest of a - 15C day working up a sweat gutting, skinning, and quartering roughly 2400 lbs of very large herbivore. Since both animals were chest shot, it wasn't obvious that there was only 1 large lung per beast, since there was a LOT of internal stuff to remove before getting on with the skinning chore.

Thanks for the anatomy lesson, BlackRockBigfoot.

I'm still amazed an American Indian's arrow could pass clean thru the enormous plains bison. At least per the history books I read 55 years ago.