Why can't we find and study Bigfoot?

georgerm

Lets say you are using a .308 for whitetail hunting . Your rifle shoots 1 MOA 

You have 30" to 32" of drop at 400 yards plus a half second or more of flight time .

Wind drift can be 5 or more inches on a cross  wind of 5 or 6 miles an hour which is not a lot of wind to feel.

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

I went ground squirrel shooting with my brother once. That's his favorite hunting. They shoot the heads off of them at 300-500 yards, and I did it with his rifles, so I know it can be done, but that ain't sasquatch hunting, bear hunting, or even deer hunting. If you botch a shot, it's no big deal. His rifles are incredibly fine tuned, are chambered firbthe mist accurate calibers there are, and the scopes are extremely high powered and expensive. I prefer meat hunting, but different strokes for different folks.

Yep. I hunted rock chucks (marmots) with a friend out in Eastern Oregon one year. I watched him drill a rock chuck that I had lasered out at 485 yards. Dead accurate right in the throat. If I hadn't have seen it with my own eyes through a spotting scope, I never would have believed it. He always was an excellent shot. 

I must admit, it's fun. We were shooting ground squirrels at 350 yards that essentially just had their heads and shoulders sticking up out of their holes. He and his buddies take trips 4 or 5 times per year out to Seligman, AZ, Alturas, CA, and Enterprise, UT and kill a thousand squirrels per weekend. Seems kinda' sinful to me, but the farmers and ranchers love them doing it. 

I've heard more than once of men taking Barrett 50 BMG rifles out on to the Alaska Peninsula and shooting brown bears at ranges of 1/2 to a mile off. I don't know if what I hear is bs, but I know that if the particular story I'm being told is bs, somebody has sure enough at least tried it. 

Admin

Hahaha...  Most threads end up discussing firearms, off-road vehicles, new gadgets or fieldcraft. I love it!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Foxhill said:

Well lets just say we located one (I know this is going to shock you but over the decades I've given this a lot of thought) so you and I have basically patterned a Bigfoot just like you can do with any other creature, meaning we know when and where he will be. I'm not worried about the legal ramifications, there won't be any. Here's why …... if we don't get torn to shreds by the bigfoot family.

You and I were out hunting varmits with all our legal permits and this bear charged us and I shot it, you know because there is no Bigfoot. Now if your concerned about the body not being there when we get back, no problem we will have brought a battery powered reciprocating saw you would cut off his head while I'm laying down cover fire and hopefully killing the whole lot of them and we can harvest even more evidence, opps sorry if that's a little graphic like I said I've given this a lot of thought.

Hopefully it takes just one death to solve the mystery. But I like how you think. Body parts are easier to transport and are proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The key is figuring out their patterns.

I do not wood knock, whoop or any of that stuff. I have no idea what I am saying, nor does anyone else. The only sure fire message I can send is by varmint calling. Ringing the dinner bell. The sound of a dying rabbit or bleating fawn is a universally recognized predator/prey relationship. So I have been concentrating on that when I go out.

• Upvote 3

Yes, it takes one bigfoot to solve the mystery, but we can't readily find one to bring in. Why?  None have answered this simple question. One answer is: There are hunters that refuse to pull the trigger. Why? 

Have many bigfoots been called in with the bleating rabbit call as one member suggested? Any reports out there?

Another issue put forth is, cutting up a dead bigfoot if you get lucky. The solution was packing a battery powered saw. This might be too heavy to carry. If one is shot wouldn't a sharp hatchet be good enough to cut off  body parts? After shooting one at dusk when bigfoots come out, someone needs to stand guard while the forest gets darker and darker.

You know there is probably another bigfoot in the bush just waiting to pounce on you so you inform your buddy, an intermediate hunter. He gets shaky, so you switch jobs and your buddy cuts up the 600 pound bigfoot that is still twitching. While on guard with a large caliber rifle you hear an enormous roar.  Next glowing yellow eyes way off in a bush show once. Now what? Stay put?  Hike 4 miles back to the pickup?  

Edited by georgerm
add more

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, Huntster said:

There are a lot of people who will call any 400 yard shot on big game irresponsible. I'm not one of them, but I'm really particular on where I would try such a shot, and I never shoot for the head on big game.

I went ground squirrel shooting with my brother once. That's his favorite hunting. They shoot the heads off of them at 300-500 yards, and I did it with his rifles, so I know it can be done, but that ain't sasquatch hunting, bear hunting, or even deer hunting. If you botch a shot, it's no big deal. His rifles are incredibly fine tuned, are chambered firbthe mist accurate calibers there are, and the scopes are extremely high powered and expensive. I prefer meat hunting, but different strokes for different folks.

Just a point you might want to consider: Alaskan big game guides like to get their clients to shoot big bears at the range of 125 yards, regardless of how good a shot the client is or what he's shooting. The reasoning is that 125 yards is a good range to allow time for follow up shots on a possible charging bear, it's close enough for good shot placement on the first shot, and there isn't much energy loss like there is at 200 yards and farther. I shoot a 300 WinMag at caribou at the longer ranges, so even at 400 yards, there is still plenty of energy left for a 450 lb. ungulate. I would consider shooting a grizzly at 200 yards with that rifle (200 grain Swift A-Frames) to be maximum range. Anything farther is asking for trouble, and following a wounded bear is the kind of trouble I really don't need.

It's funny you mention the ground squirrels, we shot ground hogs in Virginia but yes it did get old after a while. I used to "guide" on the same property I mentioned, the owners brother and a couple of buddies(city boys) would show up once or twice a year and hunt/drink, not my idea of hunting but it had to be done to keep my little hunting preserve.  I would always put them where they would have the highest success rate and in stands that they would not be taking long shots, I even told one group there was no rifle hunting allowed one year and they had to use shotguns.

I had three rifles I used on a regular basis,  270/30.06/7mm mag obviously the only one I'd consider for biggie would be the 7mm. I had purchased it with the intent of Prong Horn hunting, which can involve some long shots, never made that trip. I got to the point that I stopped bone collecting (that's what they call it now} and got pretty good at the head shots, no wasted meat and they dropped in their tracks. My logic at the time was if I did miss, no harm no foul they might have a hole in the ear but they wouldn't be running around wounded.

My apologies for the continued derail, back to the OP question I think the obvious answer is there is no Bigfoot, but if you want to get the cart before the horse and assume it does exist and has evaded detection/verification since forever, I can certainly understand why one could assume all manner of ninja of the forest attributes. I understand the logic path that is followed quite well, it applies to every facet of hunting and fishing one does. Just because I go fishing for smallmouth today and I'm unsuccessful doesn't mean there are no smallmouth in the James River today, I just don't know what they are biting today or the weather, water clarity, ect  ect  might not be right for them to feed today.   

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, georgerm said:

Yes, it takes one bigfoot to solve the mystery, but we can't readily find one to bring in. Why?  None have answered this simple question. One answer is: There are hunters that refuse to pull the trigger. Why?

"It wasn't necessary."

MIB

Edited by MIB

15 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

It's funny you mention the ground squirrels, we shot ground hogs in Virginia but yes it did get old after a while. I used to "guide" on the same property I mentioned, the owners brother and a couple of buddies(city boys) would show up once or twice a year and hunt/drink, not my idea of hunting but it had to be done to keep my little hunting preserve.  I would always put them where they would have the highest success rate and in stands that they would not be taking long shots, I even told one group there was no rifle hunting allowed one year and they had to use shotguns.

I had three rifles I used on a regular basis,  270/30.06/7mm mag obviously the only one I'd consider for biggie would be the 7mm. I had purchased it with the intent of Prong Horn hunting, which can involve some long shots, never made that trip. I got to the point that I stopped bone collecting (that's what they call it now} and got pretty good at the head shots, no wasted meat and they dropped in their tracks. My logic at the time was if I did miss, no harm no foul they might have a hole in the ear but they wouldn't be running around wounded.

My apologies for the continued derail, back to the OP question I think the obvious answer is there is no Bigfoot, but if you want to get the cart before the horse and assume it does exist and has evaded detection/verification since forever, I can certainly understand why one could assume all manner of ninja of the forest attributes. I understand the logic path that is followed quite well, it applies to every facet of hunting and fishing one does. Just because I go fishing for smallmouth today and I'm unsuccessful doesn't mean there are no smallmouth in the James River today, I just don't know what they are biting today or the weather, water clarity, ect  ect  might not be right for them to feed today.   

Not sure why the analogy of the cart in front of the horse.

I think if you have had experiences or a sighting of your own then that would put you in the other camp. I understand entirely that you have had no experiences of your own there for you don’t put any stock in it. That’s fair.

PS, I didn’t downgrade your post.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, georgerm said:

Yes, it takes one bigfoot to solve the mystery, but we can't readily find one to bring in. Why?   None have answered this simple question. One answer is: There are hunters that refuse to pull the trigger. Why? 

Have many bigfoots been called in with the bleating rabbit call as one member suggested? Any reports out there?

Another issue put forth is, cutting up a dead bigfoot if you get lucky. The solution was packing a battery powered saw. This might be too heavy to carry. If one is shot wouldn't a sharp hatchet be good enough to cut off  body parts? After shooting one at dusk when bigfoots come out, someone needs to stand guard while the forest gets darker and darker.

You know there is probably another bigfoot in the bush just waiting to pounce on you so you inform your buddy, an intermediate hunter. He gets shaky, so you switch jobs and your buddy cuts up the 600 pound bigfoot that is still twitching. While on guard with a large caliber rifle you hear an enormous roar.  Next glowing yellow eyes way off in a bush show once. Now what? Stay put?  Hike 4 miles back to the pickup?  

I'll take a whack at it in the order of the questions asked

There either is no Bigfoots or they are ninjas of the forest and will remain so forever

The hunters are lying or they weren't really sure what they were looking at

N/A for the rabbit call

No, butchering an animal your unfamiliar with takes time the reciprocating saw works great, I'll shoot my Bigfoot first thing in the morning when they come out

That Bigfoot dies just like the first, me and my peeps aren't shaky. Glowing eyes cool there's my head shot!

No we hike back the 100yrds to the truck 

Edited by Foxhill

BFF Patron
25 minutes ago, norseman said:

Not sure why the analogy of the cart in front of the horse.

I think if you have had experiences or a sighting of your own then that would put you in the other camp. I understand entirely that you have had no experiences of your own there for you don’t put any stock in it. That’s fair.

PS, I didn’t downgrade your post.

The cart before the horse refers to accepting Bigfoot as a real possibility and attributing all manner of behavior, and I get that's what the forums about, discussing the possibilities. 

I have experienced every type of Bigfoot encounter reported with the exception of a face to face encounter in my 50+ year's of kicking around the woods.

LOL on the downgrades....remember who sent me, they are badges of honor!!! Just kidding but I do appreciate your comment. I think they should add a least popular contributor banner LOL! 

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

I'll Take a whack at it in the order of the questions asked

There either is no Bigfoots or they are ninjas of the forest and will remain so forever

The hunters are lying or they weren't really sure what they were looking at

N/A for the rabbit call

No, butchering an animal your unfamiliar with takes time the reciprocating saw works great, I'll shoot my Bigfoot first thing in the morning when they come out

That Bigfoot dies just like the first, me and peeps aren't shaky. Glowing eyes cool there's my head shot!

No we hike back the 100yrds to the truck 

I have seen a bigfoot while camping out in the forest up by Crater Lake so prepare yourself in case you run into one. This bigfoot was peeking over a log at me well past dusk. Our eyes locked, so I looked away to tell my friend. When I looked back it disappeared from view. It must have done a belly crawl out since two seconds later it vanished from view. I stayed put and did not go over to the log to see where it went.  

We were not hunting but cutting firewood. My theory is when hunting and carrying a rifle, bigfoot will avoid you long before you get near it.  (theory ) As you say some hunters lie about seeing bigfoot. It only takes one hunter telling the truth and we have a fact. Clayton Mack, a  Canadian Bear guide only saw two or three bigfoots during a long career.

Not fair changing the hunting scenario. The only shot you get is at bigfoot at dusk. Do you and peeps take the shot so you can prove bigfoot exists. Explain how you get a head and arm back to science.......................  just for fun. Any hunter out there can take a stab at this. This will also tie into the original question as to why we have no bigfoot body parts to show. By exploring this question, we may be able to hone our bigfoot stalking skills that will help get a dead bigfoot or some really great films of wary sasquatches.

23 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

The cart before the horse refers to accepting Bigfoot as a real possibility and attributing all manner of behavior.........

Sometimes the horse gets so old, cantankerous, lazy, and head strong that it's time for the glue factory, and time to put a motor on the cart. It got that time with sasquatchery at least 50 years ago.

1 hour ago, MIB said:

"It wasn't necessary."

MIB

Agreed

I would have a hard time doing it but in the Oklahoma thread it becomes personal , that's when I start hunting.