Why can't we find and study Bigfoot?

georgerm

9 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Do female caribou have antlers like female reindeer?.........

Yup. Reindeer are domesticated caribou, and caribou are the only members of the deer family in which cows have antlers.

9 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

.......Again with the "appeal to authority" for lack of results is a failed argument........

Well, then, if authority is a failed element (to which I agree wholeheartedly, and have argued for years), then I hereby proclaim that sasquatches exist, and that "the debate is over" (a phrase used by firmer Vice President Gore with regard to climate science, further illustrating the complete failure of authority within science).

See how easy that was?

BFF Patron
26 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Maybe........maybe not.

My caribou shots can be anywhere from 10 yards to as far as I dare shoot, but that's because they're fairly easy to sneak ip to, and they inhabit open ground. Sasquatches? They like the kind of terrain that black bears prefer, and one can have them just 20 yards away, but there's no way you'll see them,  because it's a virtual jungle.

B19E45D7-E75A-4816-BE2C-1570494CD6C4.jpeg

Man that looks like fun!! I hear ya on the as far as one dares to shoot. I've gotten to the point that all I'm doing is hanging out in a deer stand just watching. If its not a drop shot in the morning, I'm either a tourist/bigfoot hunter for the rest of the day or going home LOL.

BFF Patron
13 hours ago, MIB said:

This is not entirely true.    Certain groups like the Sierra club have some very deep-pockets donors.   Moreover, among them are lawyers .. lawyers who do not have to be paid if they care enough about the issue themselves to donate their personal time.     It is why they have been successful stopping logging, having timber sales suspended indefinitely, and generally quite successfully shutting the timber industry down in my region.    The notion that the timber industry is unstoppable because of their economic impact is simply false.

You have to find a different reason for the environmental groups not getting on board with bigfoot existence as a way to lock up public lands.   They do have the means, they do have the money, they do have the public support in areas where it matters.

MIB

I can well imagine the generation of Harry and the Hendersons lining up to protect bigfoot if it is proven to exist.      Large portions of the timber in the West would turn into reserves and protected habitat.   Old growth timber would be even more tied up than it is now.      I think the government would show its hand in the days after existence acceptance in that they would immediately know what areas needed to be protected if there has been a coverup.        That Blue Special Management Unit Boundary sign comes to mind smack dad in the middle of my old research area.    That went up about the same time I discovered BF in the same area.  

IMG_1047.JPG

Edited by SWWASAS

BFF Patron
9 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Well, then, if authority is a failed element (to which I agree wholeheartedly, and have argued for years), then I hereby proclaim that sasquatches exist, and that "the debate is over" (a phrase used by firmer Vice President Gore with regard to climate science, further illustrating the complete failure of authority within science).

See how easy that was?

I'm good with that, now lets go harvest one!

BFF Patron
16 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Yup. Reindeer are domesticated caribou, and caribou are the only members of the deer family in which cows have antlers.

How do you tell the difference between cows and bulls hunting?   

2 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

Man that looks like fun!!.......

Caribou hunting in that particular alpine valley is my second favorite hunt. As you can see in the pic, with the right optics, one can watch Arctic ground squirrels frolicking at 2-3 miles away. I like to get there and set up camp on a Monday, because even during caribou hunting season, I'll be there for 5 days before seeing another human. I see grizzlies or grizzly sign every trip, too, and will commonly see moose and Dall sheep as well, but one will NOT see a sasquatch there. My longest shot in that valley has been a lasered 360 yards, but that's because I tend to sneak up on them there. Believe it or not, even with the vegetation like a Berber caret, I snuck my beloved wife so close to a band of cow and calves that they almost stepped on us. I could have killed one with a Bowie knife. And I've done that for my beloved wife numerous times in other hunting areas. She loves it!

10 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

......... now lets go harvest one!

When I was younger, I felt the same way. But I remember my Daddy tell me that they should be left alone. Some 50 years later, I've finally come to understand. I just want to observe one now, and would love to observe one often and at close range. I've done that with wolves, black bears, and brown bears, and it's a good feeling. I like it.🙂

19 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

Starting to think about Spring Gobbler season in Virginia, I'll be in numerous Bigfoot hotspots any suggestions?

Foxhill

Yes, If you see one shoot it. Just kidding. What I find odd is that you mention turkey season  and bigfoot in the same sentence. I have found that during my turkey season I have had encounters with these creatures in the areas I hunt turkey. The connection I find is that it is usually around spring time. I find it odd that one would hear owl calls during the day light hours and I am talking around noon time. Now I am not sure but I just find this as odd time to hear a barred owl to sound off in the back woods. What makes it even odd is when you are calling in those toms and you start to hear these owls.

Now you are not the first person that I have heard about being in bigfoot hot spots during turkey season. So I just figured I would just throw this bit of info out there. Take it for what it is worth.

8 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

How do you tell the difference between cows and bulls hunting?   

Cows have much smaller antlers, and their backside has a large white patch. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell a mature cow from a younger bull. You've got to get close and look for that tallywagger.......

Edited by Huntster

1 hour ago, Foxhill said:

LOL if only that was true, get me within 200-300yrds and I'll put 1 round in biggies earhole and the mystery will be solved. 

Only if you're willing to risk that at that distance you are 110% certain it isn't a guy in a suit. At what distance and under what circumstances would you think you're able to do that? Even 50-100 yds. would be risky. Less than 50? Better. As long as you've determined there isn't one behind you as well. And even though this is only a story I've always liked it: http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=8547

24 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I can well imagine the generation of Harry and the Hendersons lining up to protect bigfoot if it is proven to exist.      Large portions of the timber in the West would turn into reserves and protected habitat.   Old growth timber would be even more tied up than it is now.      I think the government would show its hand in the days after existence acceptance in that they would immediately know what areas needed to be protected if there has been a coverup..........

I think all that is true and much, much more. I have become convinced that these things are hominids, government has known about them for a century or so, government has been actively discouraging discovery and covering up their existence, and open discovery would be the most significant cultural impact worldwide since the landing of Columbus on Hispaniola.

BFF Patron

I experienced that whooping back and forth between two of them on my first encounter.    That is the only vocalization that I am reasonably sure they make to each other when they are out of each others sight.   That part of the BFRO report sure sounds authentic to me.    The other thing it suggests,  if accurate, along with several other tree stand sightings, is that they rarely look up and notice people in tree stands..    Their lack of neck and low set head may make looking up difficult.    Extrapolating that is put your cameras high and they might not notice them.    

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
4 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

Foxhill

Yes, If you see one shoot it. Just kidding. What I find odd is that you mention turkey season  and bigfoot in the same sentence. I have found that during my turkey season I have had encounters with these creatures in the areas I hunt turkey. The connection I find is that it is usually around spring time. I find it odd that one would hear owl calls during the day light hours and I am talking around noon time. Now I am not sure but I just find this as odd time to hear a barred owl to sound off in the back woods. What makes it even odd is when you are calling in those toms and you start to hear these owls.

Now you are not the first person that I have heard about being in bigfoot hot spots during turkey season. So I just figured I would just throw this bit of info out there. Take it for what it is worth.

Well lets save the Biggie discussion for later LOL,  this is actually one of the experiences I related to Bigfoot years ago and its very similar to what you describe. There were numerous sites across Virginia we were allowed to hunt on. We found a very similar behavior you describe with the turkey, owls, and crows.

On one site the turkey would only respond to owl calls at the other site they would respond to only crow calls and these sites where about a hundred miles apart, as well we have had owls respond during the day. After talking to other hunters its apparently not that uncommon but related to spring gobbler season and the territory/mating thing during spring time. But I've also heard turkey respond to a truck door shutting, so who knows, they are one of the smartest dumb animals I've ever hunted.

BFF Patron
19 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Only if you're willing to risk that at that distance you are 110% certain it isn't a guy in a suit. At what distance and under what circumstances would you think you're able to do that? Even 50-100 yds. would be risky. Less than 50? Better. As long as you've determined there isn't one behind you as well. And even though this is only a story I've always liked it: http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=8547

I've never shot at anything I was not absolutely sure of what it was, and I've never missed anything I've shot at with my rifle. My longest head shot was 400yrds.

Now that I'm finished bragging, please understand that I passed on a lot more shots than I took, the 400 yrd shot was passed up on dozens of times due to weather.

Also understand that shot was basically taken on a private shooting range, I was the only person allowed to hunt this property and while it was not remote, access was very restricted by water and multiple other properties with fencing. I had 6 deer stands and knew the distances to every spot that the deer would show up at and had practiced the 400yrd shot. There was no question about what I was shooting at but the secured access allowed for some very odd behavior of the deer, they acted almost as if it was a safe zone, this is a behavior I witnessed over years of hunting on this site. 

Also understand that shooting skills are a perishable talent they go away quickly.

But to answer your question today with my current rifle and skill set 200yrds for the ear hole shot beyond that, up to 400yrds center mass, the circumstance's would have to be perfect in regards to a guy in a suit issue. That's really always been my biggest issue with this discussion encouraging a bunch of novices to go out and shoot something on two feet, enough people get shot when they're not hunting for something on two feet.  

As far as the one behind me he dies first then I'll take the long shot. 

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

As far as the one behind me he dies first then I'll take the long shot.

Or be lucky enough to take the short shot. Take one away and file an anonymous report for the other. If you're REALLY lucky someone might think only one got grassed. Then I'll meet up with you, grab a piece and take on all the risks involved in getting it to science. No kidding, I would do that. And I extend that same offer out to anyone else as well.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron
29 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Or be lucky enough to take the short shot. Take one away and file an anonymous report for the other. If you're REALLY lucky someone might think only one got grassed. Then I'll meet up with you, grab a piece and take on all the risks involved getting it to science. No kidding, I would do that. 

Well lets just say we located one (I know this is going to shock you but over the decades I've given this a lot of thought) so you and I have basically patterned a Bigfoot just like you can do with any other creature, meaning we know when and where he will be. I'm not worried about the legal ramifications, there won't be any. Here's why …... if we don't get torn to shreds by the bigfoot family.

You and I were out hunting varmits with all our legal permits and this bear charged us and I shot it, you know because there is no Bigfoot. Now if your concerned about the body not being there when we get back, no problem we will have brought a battery powered reciprocating saw you would cut off his head while I'm laying down cover fire and hopefully killing the whole lot of them and we can harvest even more evidence, opps sorry if that's a little graphic like I said I've given this a lot of thought.

Edited by Foxhill
  • Upvote 1