The Ketchum Report

Welcome Particle Noun. Is there anything in the fact that we don't use particle nouns in English? Or am I being too obtuse?

Mike

Oooooops.........posts crossed.........all is revealed.

Edited by MikeG

Guest Bipedal Ape

HAA!

To Bipedal Ape: No, I'm not Sally, I'm the guy quoted in the quote above!

Welcome!

A disapointing answer you got there!!

Guest Particle Noun

Welcome Particle Noun. Is there anything in the fact that we don't use particle nouns in English? Or am I being too obtuse?

I can't comment on that until the release of the paper.

. . . what is causing that smell?

Statements like this for starters: "Our data is amazing and beautiful and all cutting edge. I will be so glad when we can share it!"

This is just so far outside the norm of how a scientist would refer to a scientific endeavor that I don't know what to make of it. For additional information, I guess I'll refer you upthread, and about 90 pages back, and have you read forward from there. Also notable for its fishiness is the idea that there's now a clear profit motive attached to this work, ostensibly to raise money for a non-profit.

If you suspect this is anything other than a bona fide piece of scientific research do you care to speculate as to what it is?

While it seems incongruous that someone would go to such trouble claiming a scientific analysis and an impending scientific paper, all I can say is that stranger things have happened. I've seen nothing specific to convince me yet that this isn't all a big ruse; I'm also open to the possibility that my suspicions are misplaced, and we're about to be treated to the ever elusive proof of bigfoot. That's why I'm comfortable commenting that it's "fishy," but beyond that I have no more insight on what will come next than anyone else.

Guest Particle Noun

That seems like a reasonable and healthy attitude. I'm leaning heavily in the "this looks good" camp, but I think the sort of healthy skepticism you display is good for everyone. I do get a bit tired of those who are as abhorrently declarative about the study being bulls**t as those who claim too much on the other side as well.

Why is this of any importance Ray?

The truth should always be important.

They have made a choice to hang on to everything until publication day. Is that a big deal?

No, that isn't the issue.

Then they appoint a spokesperson so that they're ready to cope with the torrents of requests for information that they'll get. Is that a big deal?

No, that isn't the issue either.

They answer what questions they feel they can in terms of their own decision not to release any of the contents of the report prior to publication. Again, is this a big deal?

Ah, now we're getting warmer, but that still isn't the issue.

In a nutshell (for the upteenth time), the issue I have is with people claiming there is a gag-order by the journal preventing publication of ANY information. When I pointed out that Nature, for example, has no gag-order, that submitters are "welcome to post pre-submission versions or the original submitted version of the manuscript on a personal blog", that's when the tomatoes were unleashed.

I really don't understand the importance of this line of questioning which you pursue so rigourously.

And I really don't understand why people are having such a hard time with me pointing out the facts I found on the Nature website.

RayG

And I really don't understand why people are having such a hard time with me pointing out the facts I found on the Nature website.

RayG

Could have to do with relevancy, if there is no evidence the paper is at Nature, and Sally's example was to show other points about publishing a paper.

Guest believer

What's nice is when I called Science earlier, a real person answered the phone.

New one every Friday. Can't buy it over the counter.

Lady was very nice. Probably immune to calls like mine:)

Dave

Is it the goal to find a fault of any sort and turn that into grounds for dismissal? I brought up the '1 strike you're out' mindset in another post. It seems to me that critical thinking has evolved into gotcha. You would think these folks were running for president.

• Upvote 1

Guest Particle Noun

Yeah, and the danger there is that by the time the study is finally released, those with that attitude will have thrown so much mud and leaning questions that the study will already be tainted for them and others, who won't be able to meet it on its own terms.

The only opinion I care about is what other geneticists have to say about the results.

My spidey sense tells me it will be another month before it is released and the results will be polarizing.

Guest Cervelo

If it can be influenced that easily, it must not be much of a study. But it would make a good excuse for failure.

The evil skeptic illuminati! We are everywhere! :fan:

I'm a little skeptical. I've avoided posting much, in this thread.

Is it that the really skeptical ones just can't resist posting their potshots and sowing their land mines? What's the attraction? You're all like moths to a flame.