The Ketchum Report

If we already understand that things that are mentioned by persons in the know are couched in a secretive rhetoric, perhaps we shouldn't read too much into any one statement? If they are attempting to keep the process secret, for whatever reasons, perhaps "whenever the paper is accepted" is a turn of phrase crafted so as not to spill the beans on the status of the paper? So we can't read too much into it, I think.

fishier than a Friday in Lent . . .

It may well smell fishier than a rancid haddock on a bed of putrid cod livers to you but what is causing that smell? If you suspect this is anything other than a bona fide piece of scientific research do you care to speculate as to what it is? Just a few potential alternatives might serve to dampen our ardour if nothing else...

Guest Particle Noun

New poster here (I'm sure there will be many in the coming days, no?), but I see my name mentioned a few pages back in reference to a post on Dr. Ketchum's Facebook page, so thought I'd join the Fray.

Firstly, I must say I can absolutely understand the ardent skepticism about this study. In effect ANY time there has been a hint of "a major press announcement about the existence of bigfoot" it has ended up a major fisano, I mean Fiasco.

That said, it's worth, I think, trying to look at this study on its own terms. There appear to be a good many players involved in this. A good deal of money has been spent. A number of reputations are solidly on the line. These facts alone make, I believe, this case inherently different than any of the others before it. If you disagree about that I'd love to see examples of parallels with any of the other major disappointments of years gone by.

It seems fairly easy, using good ol' Occam's razor, to rule out an out-and-out hoax scenario.

What is impossible to rule out is the possibility that when the results are released, they will be decidedly underwhelming. If we see words like "intriguing possibility" or "incentive for further research", we could be in trouble.

For many, this seems to have become either the log they will gleefully jam down the throats of skeptics with a uproarious I TOLD YOU SO or a hefty 2x4 with which to smack true believers back to their fantasy lands where they belong. Surely there is room for a middle ground?

Guest Bipedal Ape

Jordon Flato Question: This is probably out of the scope of what you can answer, but, do you feel (without discussing the findings themselves of course) that the paper represents conclusive proof of this species, or is it in the realm of the highly suggestive?

14 minutes ago

Dr. Melba Ketchum ‎@Jordon - Sally here - Actually, that would be the core of the results so no, that question cannot be answered.

11 minutes ago

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

By use of the word "whenever" I guess that means that it's expected to be accepted for publication on more than one occasion. Strange . . .

Dr. Melba Ketchum

Q: Are we still taking samples. A: Yes, but not for the first paper.

:help:

Guest slimwitless

I predict a press conference on a future Thursday afternoon in Washington DC, where Science Magazine is edited and published every Friday.

Interestingly, Sally Ramey claims to have done PR work on the famous soft-tissue T-Rex discovery in 2005. That paper was published in Science.

Edited by slimwitless

I was doing the thing where you don't quote the most recent post, but as I posted mine 4 other ones showed up before it and mine no longer made sense. So nevermind at this point. Proceed.

Edited by arizonabigfoot

Guest Particle Noun

Jordon Flato Question: This is probably out of the scope of what you can answer, but, do you feel (without discussing the findings themselves of course) that the paper represents conclusive proof of this species, or is it in the realm of the highly suggestive?

14 minutes ago

Dr. Melba Ketchum ‎@Jordon - Sally here - Actually, that would be the core of the results so no, that question cannot be answered.

11 minutes ago

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HAA!

To Incorrigible1: No, I'm not Sally, I'm the guy quoted in the quote above!

Edited by Particle Noun