The Ketchum Report

Guest slimwitless

I've been away for a few days, so I missed the reemergence of the Nature speculation. Dr. K said the paper was not with the Nature group. Why all the Henry Gee and Nature talk?

I think it's a debate over the worth of a paper that can't make the cut at Nature.

It's largely speculative because we know very little about the paper or where it's been submitted.

I remember reading that this is standard practice at remote cabins in Northern Canada, which are generally locked down all winter. Apparently it deters bears and other inquisitive wildlife.

As others have noted, I find it hard to fathom why someone would think it more likely an undocumented hominid would step on a nail board rather than a person. As far as I know, people step on sharp spiky objects all the time....

My point was, was it the DNA of a native american person that made and put the board out there or was it the owners that did that? I see Mitch already answered. No one steps on a board with screws in it sitting out in plain sight unless they don't know what screws do to the bottom of bare feet, or it was a new moon and they didn't see it. A person isn't likely to be barefooted at night leaving tissue behind on the screw much less a 17 inch foot print. If they weren't barefoot, they would be leaving shoe leather or rubber sole behind too and that didn't happen. The only way out there was by plane, I can't see someone paying gas money to hire a plane to take them to this specific cabin just to rip it up, that doesn't seem very likely either.

Edited by Jodie

The problem is in the validity of the data (there is no way to show that it came from a bigfoot), and the results (modern human), not the procedures/DNA analysis. Those problems can't be remedied. That's why the paper was handed back without apparently even making it to review.

You frequently mention that being a skeptic requires you to back your comments with supporting facts. Have any? To me there is a disconnect-comments of "believers" need supporting facts but yours don't. Please enlighten me.

Sierra Kills shooter Justin Smeja

from Steve Kulls

stating he does not know if he signed an nda, he believes the study should be done soon, but he is not going to wait around for ever. and would be willing to send it to another lab.

he also said he is getting anxious for the Ketchum report to come out.

the part about these statements starts around 133 minutes.

INTERVIEW

Edited by zigoapex

Ok, I reread it, where does it say what lab came up with the inhibitors similar to a cat? It says the lab NABS uses..........

Jodie, it says that they felt the hairs had inhibitors in them that act similar to inhibitors encountered with feline hairs, not that they are the same. Atleast thats how I read it. The labs name isn't mentioned, so there is extra footwork to connect it to Dr. Ketchum using writing style compared to the other letter and the fact that the other sample is one Kethum has discussed on Coast to Coast radio, and according to Jerry, is in the study, affirmed by Paulides.

And now the scales fall from my eyes and I see once more....and we still don't know what the DNA means with any certainty other than that there may be cat people walking around in the woods with something horribly wrong with their tooth enamel.

Guest Alpinist

Found an old Ft Lewis report of a bigfoot shooting that always stuck in my mind - part of the blood work done by the military on the samples in 1978 according to the report returned human blood cells - and chlorophyl - I always thought that was an interesting proposition, an animal that could derive energy from the sun.

http://sasquatch-pg.net/USMilitaryFtLewis.html

Fort Lewis, Washington U.S. Army Military Installation, 1977 & 1978In 1978, Edwin Godoy was an E-4 soldier with the U.S. Army commissioned to Fort Lewis, in Washington State. Fort Lewis is located next to a forested area in that western state. Mr. Godoy was also an expert marksman who came out as the third best marksman in the U.S. Army for that year.

One night, as his platoon was returning in a truck from some war games in the forest, the truck malfunctioned and lost all power. Impossible to make it start, the acting commander decided to return to the base by foot with the soldiers and ordered Godoy — as he was the one who had signed for taking out the truck — to stay and guard it until morning, when a tow unit from the base would be sent to pick up him and the vehicle. To Godoy this was somewhat irregular, as normally, two men would be ordered to do this. Anyway, the others left at about 8:00 P.M. and he remained there with the truck.

At about 12:15 A.M. he noticed a figure some 300 meters away from him, standing next to some pine trees in the forest. What shocked Godoy was the size of the figure — it was very tall — and its body was completely covered with hair. "It was something very big, huge, a giant, " he said, "and it was all covered by a dark long grayish hair all over its body. It was standing next to a pine tree and swinging his body sideways while looking straight at me. It looked somewhat like a man, but it wasn't a man. Very strongly built, with a broad chest — and his eyes glowed red in the dark. The moon was to the back of it and there were no lights in the area. It was totally dark so this red glow was not due to light reflection. It was something... those eyes had a red glow to them... they seemed to be self-luminous.

"That thing started running towards me, so I shouted a halt three times, asking that thing to stop and identify itself. As it wouldn't reply I made a first shot to the air and then I shot at him or 'it', I don't know how to call it. The hairy thing grabbed its chest and emitted a loud moan, stopped and then ran to his right, disappearing into the forest."

Godoy, very nervous, reasoned he had just seen a 'Bigfoot', one of the forest's legendary creatures the Native Americans in the region often talked about. Afraid, he locked himself inside the truck until 6:00 A.M. when two mechanics from the base arrived in a tow unit to pick up the truck.

He explained what had happened, but they wouldn't believe him. They all went to where the hairy thing was shot and the men were surprised to see huge humanlike footprints imprinted in the soft ground and several small pools of blood that looked red, but strangely oily and fresh looking. The mechanics stared at each other and then looked at Godoy in a strange way and mumbled something between them in low voice. From that moment on they kept at a distance and wouldn't talk to him. They communicated by radio to the base and reported the incident. Later on, the truck started at first try. At about 7:30 A.M. some unknown personnel arrived to the site —: several men dressed in white lab coats, wearing thick gray 'rubber' (leaded?) gloves and boots took samples from the tracks impression on the ground, the alleged 'blood' which was handled with extreme care. The mechanics talked with these men, but Godoy was not allowed to do the same. Later, they all were ordered by radio to return at once to Ft. Lewis. Godoy was to report himself to the base hospital immediately at his arrival.

To his surprise, an Air Force medical officer, a colonel, was waiting for him there. Fort Lewis is a U.S. Army military base with no ties with the Air Force, so why the presence of this full-bird Air Force colonel there? He couldn't say. The usual thing would have been for the regular medical staff in the base hospital to attend him. This man was not from the hospital's medical staff. The officer debriefed thoroughly him on the incident and made a complete medical and physical exam to him. While examining him he kept asking at what distance he was from the creature when he shot at it, on the creature's description, if he felt a tingling sensation or had a sore throat, headaches, if a rash had developed on his skin — and other things. The Air Force medical officer apparently knew what to ask. It was obvious to Godoy that he was looking for specific symptoms — and answers — but symptoms and answers to what?

Several samples of his blood, skin scrapings, urine, saliva and other types of samples were taken from Godoy. The soldier knew something odd was going on, he kept asking the officer where he had come from but he wouldn't answer. After being examined, he was ordered to go to his barracks, then he took a shower and rested.

Later, he was ordered to go to the base commander's office. The base commander, (a lieutenant general — name not remembered by Ed Godoy), was there together with his company commander, Captain Underwood, and a colonel whose last name was, to his best recall, Kropsie. They debriefed him again on what had happened out in the woods and then the base commander ordered Godoy not to talk ever to anyone on what had happened. He was warned that if he ever talked about it he'd be court martial and would have to face the consequences. Godoy responded he would obey.

Later, heading to his room, he was approached by L. Robles, a Puerto Rican soldier who was commissioned in the hospital's lab. Robles asked Godoy what was it he had shot. Godoy said he was not allowed to discuss the matter and Robles insisted on asking. He asked Robles why was it so important for him to know. Robles answered: "I, together with two other guys, had to analyze the blood samples taken from the ground, and we know you are the soldier involved because it was stated as such in the report... And you know? It's crazy, but... what was it you shot out there? When we examined the blood samples we found out three weird things in it... That blood contained human blood cells, animal blood cells...and chlorophyll. Man, that's incredible! What the hell was it?

Godoy, somewhat shocked by Robles words, stated he could not discuss the incident and left. Now, thinking back, he feels that the base commander, Colonel Kropsie, and Captain Underwood, all seemed to know what they were dealing with, and for that reason they had ordered him to keep his mouth shut on the incident. He remembered that on one occasion he had to enter a huge security vault in the base in which many bottles are stored. All these bottles were filled with a liquid substance that had a greenish glow, similar to what Robles had described. The bottles in the vault were kept there under very heavy security, because, according to him, the liquid in the bottles seemed to be plutonium stored at the base. Was there a relationship between both substances? He didn't know. But he found rather strange that he was ordered to stand guard on the truck alone. Why was he left alone? "I don't know Martín, but after thinking it over I had a strange feeling... Who knows, maybe that thing was to capture me. All I know for sure is that the U.S. Government and the military know something weird is happening in the northwest, and they don't want the people to know about it," stated Godoy. [Edited] - Source: Robert Stansberry via Jorge Martín a researcher in Puerto Rico who met Mr. Edwin Godoy and his wife Myrna in Cabo Rojo, in the southwest region of Puerto Rico, while scuba diving. Posted to the IVBC 4 September 1998.

Will Ketchums findings support this report from the late 70's ???

Guest Strick

Well, it would certainly explain how Bigfoot is able to blend so well with the environment if, indeed, it turns out to be part-plant. The next time I'm on the West Coast I shall never be able to look at a Sequoia Sempervirens in quite the same way again...

Cat-people? Plant-people? I do hope Ketchum manages to publish soon and puts us all out of our misery. I think all this circular speculation is starting to take us to some weird and hitherto unknown places where we really don't want to go. :huh:

I can deal with cat people over plant people anyday, the thought of a sentient super strong fungi on legs is even less appealing. It brings back memories of that movie "Attack of the Mushroom People" :lol::lol::lol:

In the 1951 black & white movie, "The Thing from Another World", later shortened to "The Thing" and even later remade by John Carpenter, the Thing was a plant. James Arness from Gunsmoke was the guy in the suit for this particular movie.

Ok, I reread it, where does it say what lab came up with the inhibitors similar to a cat? It says the lab NABS uses..........

Thanks Parn, I do remember that being one of the conclusions. Who nailed the screws in the board and put it on the front porch? Do we know that?

The owner of the fishing cabin put the nails out to keep bears from invading the cabin.

Cat people, really Jodie?

I guess it was my failed attempt at humor/sarcasm. However, some reports do state they have vertical pupils :)

BFF Patron

Alpinist maybe that is a glowing form of chlorophyll in the hair that sometimes gives the impression of green mossy outcrops on BF hair. And then extend that discussion to retinal tissue and you got a winner too.

I had forgotten about that particular report but it was a goodin. Maybe it's the mysterious animal/vegetable/human mix or the "never been seen before" form of dna that has been previously alluded to by some bloggers.

Heck just for varietals sake, throw in a little reptile for me.

Guest HucksterFoot

The owner of the fishing cabin put the nails out to keep bears from invading the cabin.

I still chuckle when MonsterQuest says the location is 250 miles north of Ottawa. Plus, the part about the cabin being inaccessible. :]