The Ketchum Report

I heard the last 5 minutes of the interview on the Rutherford show today, I was informed of it by a friends mother who knows I'm into this stuff and was listening lol, and I clearly heard the statement that it was weeks, not months away. We'll see. I really don't want to go through another 380 pages, that's for sure.

H. ergaster is going pretty far back, but heck until the last couple of years we no real evidence that we had mated with any archaic humans so who knows. But that's why I was thinking H. heidelbergensis (or an as-yet undiscovered isolated descendent of Heidelberg similar to Neandethal and Denisovan) would be the most likely candidate to fit MK's unknown. It's far enough away from us to fit her criteria, but close enough that it reasonably could bred with us (and maybe did in north Africa). It's hard to imagine getting much further away than that genetically and still being able to produce viable offspring.

On human speciation, some people would say that Neanderthal is a subspecies of H. sapiens. It depends on your approach to taxonomy and whether DNA is more important than morphology.

Speaking of what we can learn from hominin lice, check out this article and consider what implications it may or may not have for MK's hypothesis.

http://dsc.discovery...41004/lice.html

How can the second species of lice exist only in the Americas if it originated on Homo Erectus then moved to HSS? Wouldn't it still be present in Africa and Europe even though it changed hosts?

Ok, now that has my attention.

You caught it too.....

SouthernYahoo

Just based on Smith's wording I would guess that "precursor" = "primer. Hence my post. But without talking to him directly I could be wrong.

Mulder

Sequencing DNA from any critter (or other organism) besides human, mouse or rat (common lab animals) or corn, soybean (common agricultural samples) or medically important bacteria or viruses was still problematic a few years back. Not impossible, but not as simple as the organisms I listed. I have to wonder if she eventually sent some material to lab with modern generation sequencing capabilities. Plenty of labs do it on a fee-for-service basis. As I've mentioned before, our core lab does it for around $5K per sample; 3-4 days for multiple confirming tests.

Since I have posted infrequently, I suppose I should reveal my scientific predisposition (yes Mulder, I know I'm not supposed to have one)... I am a supporter of the sasquatch = ape camp. I would be shocked if sasquatch = human hybrid! My plate and fork are ready for a helping of crow, but in the long run I think not.

Genes

http://bigfootforums...370#entry666688

There's more to a menstrual cycle than just the discharge of blood. I was referring to the follicular and ovulation phases, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. My apologies if that was the case.

LOLOL....according to my sister the vast majority of the population, men and women, don't think of the menstryal cycle as the entire month, but you are correct. She also says that the pheremone thing is a bust and that's why HSS developed hidden ovulation instead of continuing to have bright flourescent rumps during ovulation. This is to insure that the mate invests time in raising the child even if it isn't his, still happens today if paternity testing isn't done. It's a major theme in soap operas, so I here.

Guest slimwitless

Maybe it's time to figure out how an ape evolved without a divergent big toe...just so each side has at least two controversial ideas (the first being the existence of BF).

I already posted this link to a message board...seems to be falling on deaf ears?

I suggest that anyone really interested in a VERY IN DEPTH discussion on Ketcham Study read through it.

Here's a sample:

EDITED..

To remove links to JREF....

Edited by Art1972
remove JREF links

Yes but she did the whole genome. I thought SNP profile too but that's not what she said later hence the reason I wondered about who helped her with the interpretation. That's a whole lot of data to go through.

Guest thermalman

I already posted this link to a message board...seems to be falling on deaf ears?

I suggest that anyone really interested in a VERY IN DEPTH discussion on Ketcham Study read through it.

Here's a sample:

and here's the thread:

WWWWHAAAT???? :music:

Edited by thermalman
to remove JREF links...

From Neurologica Bolg

http://theness.com/n...hp/bigfoot-dna/

Let us also consider the scenario that Ketchum is suggesting – in the very recent past (less than 15,000 years) an unknown primate bred with modern human females (mtDNA comes almost exclusively from the female line) producing the creature we now know as bigfoot. What, then, must the original unknown primate looked like? The result of this pairing then produced fertile offspring, enough to generate a new stable population of bigfeet. It is highly doubtful that the offspring of a creature that looks like bigfoot and a human would be fertile. They would almost certainly be as sterile as mules. Humans could not breed with our closest living relatives, the chimpanzees, or any living ape. It is probable that we could produce fertile young with Neanderthals, but it gets doubtful the further back in our evolutionary history we go – and how far back would we have to go to reach a common ancestor with bigfoot?

The bottom line is this – human DNA plus some anomalies or unknowns does not equal an impossible human-ape hybrid. It equals human DNA plus some anomalies.

Yet Ketchum (somewhat prematurely) suggests:

"Government at all levels must recognize them as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a ‘license’ to hunt, trap, or kill them.â€

What can be recognized is the process of pseudoscience – anomaly hunting and then backfilling to the desired conclusion. What we don’t have is compelling evidence for a new species

Edited by ronn1

Most reasonable statement to come out of JREF....

" IF her data was sound and verifiable , every journal in the country would have been all over it. But it wasn't. (well, the DNA may have been sequenced properly, but it's fairly obvious her conclusions aren't backed up by the data)."

Guest BFSleuth

I heard the last 5 minutes of the interview on the Rutherford show today, I was informed of it by a friends mother who knows I'm into this stuff and was listening lol, and I clearly heard the statement that it was weeks, not months away. We'll see. I really don't want to go through another 380 pages, that's for sure.

According to Linda Sedlak on Ketchum's FB page the paper has passed peer review and is in the "lineup to be published". Not sure whether this means much at this time, but it seems that based on the comments from Dr. Ketchum and those that are close to the paper the timing is fairly short now.

How can the second species of lice exist only in the Americas if it originated on Homo Erectus then moved to HSS? Wouldn't it still be present in Africa and Europe even though it changed hosts?

I'd thought the same thing. The only way this makes sense is if the lice in the Americas was an infestation from a hominid or primate that was in close contact with HSS and the hominid or primate was not extant outside the Americas.

Guest thermalman

IMHO .... A flock of crows ......

Actually, a murder, horde, parcel, or storytelling of crows.

None the less, DREAM ON R1!

Edited by thermalman