The Ketchum Report

The Ketchum camp has been eerily silent. I figured we'd at least see some sort of response/explanation/update by now regarding the Sierra sample and/or the Examiner....

Interesting indeed.

PLEASE NOTE...

Justin Smeja is a member here....

The discussions about intelligence level, and other personal aspects of him as a person need to end immeditately..

Several posts above are in process of being edited/ deleted.....

Pretty sure you all know he's a member here, and that means he's afforded the same respect and protections that our rules and guidelines give to each of us...

The fact that I'm once again required to remind members of this, is becoming a frustrating trend, that needs to end....

Thanks.

-A-

EDITED...

Also- discussing members (Smeja / Ketchum) motivations, alluding to it being to make $$, and other gossip/rumors, and further pointing out of the Examiner/Enquirer articles and what "that means" do not need to take place. They are over the line, too personal, and have little or no bearing on the outcome of this situation.

If all you are going to contribute to this thread, is a gossipy opinion of what you think it means, or further speculation about personal motivations, I would caution you to instead keep it to yourself.

We all know what tabloid news-rags are, and we all know what purpose they serve....

Pretty funny, John Cleese a favorite of mine (ever see the interview about losing his virginity? Too funny, and really sweet)

Okay, it is now I think officially months, not weeks, for the publication date ..and all I find via Google this a.m. is an ever increasing sharing of the press release on paranormal sites....yikes! Well, I also found an article dated Feb 2012 that said release would be very soon...so...enough Googling!

From what I can tell Wally Hersom funded a great deal of this study, and continues to do so and remain in contact with several of these players.

Personally, if Wally hasn't seen the finished product, I would have a hard time believing it exists....generally my experience has been that the client or customer paying for the work gets to see it....

Does anyone know if anyone has seen the final version, or the submitted version, and has so said?

Huh, I didn't Google but went to a blogger site and this came up, a twitter account for Ketchum (I am so old school, when did we decide 143 or whatever characters was the way to communicate?) and the last post Jan 13, but some indication https://twitter.com/DrMelbaKetchum via this chatter that Plosone might be the target...

Edited by apehuman

I thought this comment was interesting (I hope i can post twitter comments!).

From DMK: "Correction request: we analyzed DNA from 109 samples including hair, blood, and tissue--no saliva-covered bagels"

"Our mito alone is 16.5 Kb on the samples. Our nuDNA is 3 genomes/three individuals and is 3 Terabytes of data and billions of bases"

Edited by Cotter

I don't know? Maybe it's just me, but I view publishing with a Russian journal as selling out.

Why? If the journal is "up to snuff", then so what?

I, personally, would never settle for lesser standards.

Which no one has demonstrated that Russian journals as a group have.

Still leaves me scratching my head why, if the data is so compelling, did Nature reject it? If the data is real, it isn't fringe, and journals should be waiting in line to publish it. It's a pretty big discovery, right?

If Science as an institution (and by extension the journals) were completely objective and bias-free I would agree. We know this is not the case.

As for your conspiracy, not true so you cannot use that to implicate the journal for unethical behavior: http://www.ucsusa.or...limategate.html

Absolutely we can. The facts speak for themselves, and the unedited, unredacted emails can still be found online with a bit of effort. We don't need any "blue ribbon" insider panels from the effected university to tell us how to interpret what we can plainly read for ourselves. The so-called "investigations" are nothing but institutional whitewash.

End OT.

Never mind that the Academic consensus does not support your assertion,

Argument from Consensus fallacy. Truth is not determined by "vote".

Edited by Mulder

^I don't think any but the ultra-hard-core cling to the idea that a study simply doesn't exist. The debate seems to be if/when it will be published and in what venue.