Do you guys visit hunting , fishing or hiking forums ?

On 1/22/2020 at 8:48 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

This is actually one of my favorite things to do. 

A user on a popular gun forum went into a very detailed description of an encounter that he and his wife had years ago in Utah..... 

BRB, do you have a link to this report, or at least the forum it was on? I'll be in UT for a bit longer would like to at least read up on it.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, 7.62 said:

You know @hiflier  what kind of surprises me is there isn't a whole lot of reports from Maine .

It's really hard to comprehend  the vast amount of forest unless you fly over it. It's just so immense  .

I really think it has a lot to do with people of Maine that live in the northwoods are just private people and feel no need 

to post on the BFRO or call the news .

I think that is accurate with regard to the reticence in reporting. The other factor is population, the 5500 square miles of private, timber consortium land up North sees so little human traffic. and what it does see off the roads is mostly within a half mile of them. Hunting in Fall and fishing in Spring before the bug onslaught create the "most" traffic. The mosquitoes, deer and blackfly are excellent guardians against hairless bi-peds. Interestingly, in all the bushwhacking I've done up there, I've never seen a tick, not a single one. That may change as the little b*sta*ds head N...

25 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

BRB, do you have a link to this report, or at least the forum it was on? I'll be in UT for a bit longer would like to at least read up on it.

Sent you a pm.  

Admin

Here are a couple of sites that I have provided before:

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/9734-scariest-sasquatch-encounters-youve-readheard/?do=findComment&comment=118212

By the way, this incident, if true, is one of my favorites. I do recall that some years ago, it was being questioned as to whether it actually occurred or not. I do not remember what the consensus was.

Unfortunately, the FAL thread is gone although the site is still around, I seem to remember it was pretty good. And it does not appear to have been captured by the Wayback Machine, what a shame...

The other two are still up, but have not been updated in some time. But both provide some good reading for late at night in a darkened room.... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VAfooter said:

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/9734-scariest-sasquatch-encounters-youve-readheard/?do=findComment&comment=118212

By the way, this incident, if true, is one of my favorites. I do recall that some years ago, it was being questioned as to whether it actually occurred or not. I do not remember what the consensus was.

Unfortunately, the FAL thread is gone although the site is still around, I seem to remember it was pretty good. And it does not appear to have been captured by the Wayback Machine, what a shame...

The other two are still up, but have not been updated in some time. But both provide some good reading for late at night in a darkened room.... 

@VAfooter

FAL thread???  You mean the falfiles.com?

Are you talking about the old thread where the father and son take a pit stop and the tall skinny werewolf things rushed them in a 'cross thatch' pattern or something?  I can't believe that anyone else remembers that post. It stays with me to this day.

3 hours ago, VAfooter said:

@VAfooter

Just went to your link.

Thatch weave pattern.  That was it.  If the falfiles thread is gone, I believe that the same guy posted his account on ar15.com several years ago in one of the creepy threads.  I will see if I can find it.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
Weird double quote

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Are you talking about the old thread where the father and son take a pit stop and the tall skinny werewolf things rushed them in a 'cross thatch' pattern or something?  I can't believe that anyone else remembers that post. It stays with me to this day.

I just followed VAfooter's link to make sure it is the story I thought it was.     Yep.    Write that one off.   If I remember right, someone on a hunting site did some hard work backtracknig that story to its roots and found that it was a creative writing piece for some high schooler's English class.    It is relatively well-written, too-well.   Too polished.   It isn't  precisely a hoax because there was no intent to fool, only to entertain .. and get a grade.

For what it's worth, that location is about 35 miles from where I'm sitting as I type this.  I've been there **a lot**.    I found a 17" or so half track / half impression in sand within 2 miles of that location.   It had been a good track left in wet sand on a sand bar, then the clouds broke, sun came out, sand dried, and the part of the track which was not still in the shade collapsed.   All that was left that was clear was 2 toes.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MIB said:

I just followed VAfooter's link to make sure it is the story I thought it was.     Yep.    Write that one off.   If I remember right, someone on a hunting site did some hard work backtracknig that story to its roots and found that it was a creative writing piece for some high schooler's English class.    It is relatively well-written, too-well.   Too polished.   It isn't  precisely a hoax because there was no intent to fool, only to entertain .. and get a grade.

For what it's worth, that location is about 35 miles from where I'm sitting as I type this.  I've been there **a lot**.    I found a 17" or so half track / half impression in sand within 2 miles of that location.   It had been a good track left in wet sand on a sand bar, then the clouds broke, sun came out, sand dried, and the part of the track which was not still in the shade collapsed.   All that was left that was clear was 2 toes.  

MIB

As I just searched for the ar15 thread, I found that same post shared on a few boards.  It is sometimes attributed to a Mike M.  Other times to a Ryan B.

Looks like it may have been originally posted on survivalistboards.

Any clue about the name of the hunting board that disproved the story?  It has always stayed with me, so if it really was made up I would like to see how they disproved it.  It will always bug me if I don't get the full story on it....

I posted this one in the cryptozoology forum here but I thought it was pretty cool.

It was posted on a gun forum by a member who said this is what happened .

Seriously, though-

Above Index is only place in the world that I have felt that "fear of imminent death" from an unknown predator(s). I have been all over the place, in lots of hostile situations, and never have felt something like this before or since. But it gets better. First, some background:

To get to Index, you have to turn off the highway and cross a river which separates the town from the surrounding hills. In crossing the bridge, you get this creepy feeling that the bridge is the only way in or out (not true), and that the river is protecting the town from something...else...

The town itself is a nice little place under the shadow of Mount Index, which veritably looms over the town. There's an old wood frame hotel from the 1890's, a church, and some other architectural relics of the long-gone North Cascades gold rush. Index isn't a tourist spot, and is far enough off the highway that it doesn't get any drive-by business. People do live there, and they tend to look warily through their blinds at any vehicle they don't recognize. That's Index.

If you don't take the turn over the bridge into town, the road continues along the river. This is the Index-Galena road. There are cabins and old mobile homes and hunting shacks along the river side of the road. Go a little further, and there's a forest service road to the right. This is Forest Road 6310, or something like that. It climbs up towards Gunn Peak over a series of switchbacks. At the end of the road, there's an old clearcut, with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.

My wife and I (I already posted the wife pics, go find them.) went up there in the early fall once to picnic with a friend, who wanted to get his new XJ Cherokee Laredo up into the mountains to try out his new tires. He was flush with cash at the time, and volunteered with several Search and Rescue groups. Because of this, he had a Whelan full-width light bar with amber strobes mounted on the XJ. (this is important later in the story). We got up to the clearing in the early afternoon, broke out the food, and enjoyed the setting. Did a little plinking, that kind of thing (We had one Glock 17 and an SP-101 in .38 Special between the three of us.) It was a bit cool (we gained a pretty fair amount of elevation getting there), and we knew the temperature was going to drop as soon the shadows deepened. It darkened even more quickly than we expected, and we began to pack everything up. About then, we heard the first howl. It was a distant wolf- but there weren't supposed to be any wolves up here yet (This was the early '90's- they had not yet been reintroduced to the area). "That was cool" we thought. Then I suddenly got a chill down my back. I wheeled around to look at the nearby tree line- although the clearcut was still in dusky light, it was now pitch black in the trees. It hit me right about then- that primal fear. "We have to go. Now." I said. Our friend looked at me and said something like, "You afraid of a stupid wolf?" Then- another howl- in the treeline- not more than twenty yards away. We all looked at each other, collectively blinked once, and didn't waste any time getting into the jeep. Somehow, it was now dark already- and full dark once the road down entered the treeline. We could hear them all over now- even over the noise of the jeep's inline six- but the sound they made wasn't...quite...right... He started picking up the speed on the single lane gravel forest road. I reached forward and hit the switch for the left side scene lights on the light bar. This caused a single halogen lamp to shine on the trunks of trees as they sped past- and showing the reflection of many sets of eyes in the darkness behind the trees, They were moving- tracking our vehicle- which was now doing about 40 on the narrow road. "We'll lose them on this straight" he said, now pushing fifty. I hit the scene light switch again- only trees. Phew! That was silly, I thought. We're in a car, and we get freaked out by some stupid wolves. Great.

Now out of danger, we approach the first switchback- slow down, make the turn- and there ahead of us- about a half dozen HUGE wolves in the road- waiting for us. They had gone straight down the hill to cut us off at the switchback.-then they were gone. What the hell? Now, we're ALL freaked out. Now tearing down the road, sending gravel flying, approaching the next switchback. I had left both side scene lights on at this point, but all they illuminated were the trunks of trees on the sides of the road. I turned them off. We make the turn- nothing -no wolves. Suddenly, I had an idea- I switched on the strobes. Frozen in disco stop motion of the strobes on both sides of the jeep - wolves - EXCEPT THEY WERE ALL STANDING ON TWO FEET, LIKE MEN! They bound off in frozen staccato stop motion- back down the grade- presumably to meet us on the next switchback- and then-

- I don't remember anything else. We were back on highway 2, heading towards Gold Bar. I turned off the strobes.

Stay away from Index after dark

Edited by 7.62

Admin

Yeah, the Union Creek episode "stays with you"...

I remember that one 7.62. Another one of those almost too horrifying to be true... Anybody been up to Mt. Index recently???

No, haven't been to the Index area in a long time. We have had  huge snow dumps. Road plowing is minimum. With very wet / snowy weather, shallow root ball trees  fall like bowling pins. And the mudslide potential  is huge.  The town of Index is not in the shadow of Mt. Index. Mt. Index is on the other side of Hwy 2.  Mt. Index is one of the most photographed peaks in the U.S..

Interesting read.  The event is almost 30 years old.  The town of Index is thriving. Tourism and water sports as in river rafting and kayaking. The road is Forest Service Road 63, a.k.a. Index-Galena road,  which has been heavily damaged by washouts over the years. Gunn Peak is currently in a Wilderness area. Forget about driving to the clear cut. I used to do prospecting in the area of the Galena Bridge which is further up the road.  A washout in 2006 or 2007 prevents access now. There was a small mining community just down from the Galena Bridge. Nothing remains of the buildings but you can see where the forest was cut down for the houses.

Index had some location shots for the 1987 movie version of  "Harry and the Henderson's". Stuntman Kevin Peter Hall ( Predator ) was 'Harry' for the film and participated in the TV series 1st season until his death.

I did not encounter anything unusual when I was prospecting. Just normal animal inventory: black bears, garter snakes, porcupine, humans, Great Blue Heron and bugs.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

10 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Any clue about the name of the hunting board that disproved the story?

Not anymore.   I believe it was posted on a thread here on BFF some years ago.  (I don't recall whether it was after I joined or back when I was just lurking.)  

MIB

9 hours ago, 7.62 said:

I posted this one in the cryptozoology forum here but I thought it was pretty cool.

It was posted on a gun forum by a member who said this is what happened .

Seriously, though-

Above Index is only place in the world that I have felt that "fear of imminent death" from an unknown predator(s). I have been all over the place, in lots of hostile situations, and never have felt something like this before or since. But it gets better. First, some background:

To get to Index, you have to turn off the highway and cross a river which separates the town from the surrounding hills. In crossing the bridge, you get this creepy feeling that the bridge is the only way in or out (not true), and that the river is protecting the town from something...else...

The town itself is a nice little place under the shadow of Mount Index, which veritably looms over the town. There's an old wood frame hotel from the 1890's, a church, and some other architectural relics of the long-gone North Cascades gold rush. Index isn't a tourist spot, and is far enough off the highway that it doesn't get any drive-by business. People do live there, and they tend to look warily through their blinds at any vehicle they don't recognize. That's Index.

If you don't take the turn over the bridge into town, the road continues along the river. This is the Index-Galena road. There are cabins and old mobile homes and hunting shacks along the river side of the road. Go a little further, and there's a forest service road to the right. This is Forest Road 6310, or something like that. It climbs up towards Gunn Peak over a series of switchbacks. At the end of the road, there's an old clearcut, with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.

My wife and I (I already posted the wife pics, go find them.) went up there in the early fall once to picnic with a friend, who wanted to get his new XJ Cherokee Laredo up into the mountains to try out his new tires. He was flush with cash at the time, and volunteered with several Search and Rescue groups. Because of this, he had a Whelan full-width light bar with amber strobes mounted on the XJ. (this is important later in the story). We got up to the clearing in the early afternoon, broke out the food, and enjoyed the setting. Did a little plinking, that kind of thing (We had one Glock 17 and an SP-101 in .38 Special between the three of us.) It was a bit cool (we gained a pretty fair amount of elevation getting there), and we knew the temperature was going to drop as soon the shadows deepened. It darkened even more quickly than we expected, and we began to pack everything up. About then, we heard the first howl. It was a distant wolf- but there weren't supposed to be any wolves up here yet (This was the early '90's- they had not yet been reintroduced to the area). "That was cool" we thought. Then I suddenly got a chill down my back. I wheeled around to look at the nearby tree line- although the clearcut was still in dusky light, it was now pitch black in the trees. It hit me right about then- that primal fear. "We have to go. Now." I said. Our friend looked at me and said something like, "You afraid of a stupid wolf?" Then- another howl- in the treeline- not more than twenty yards away. We all looked at each other, collectively blinked once, and didn't waste any time getting into the jeep. Somehow, it was now dark already- and full dark once the road down entered the treeline. We could hear them all over now- even over the noise of the jeep's inline six- but the sound they made wasn't...quite...right... He started picking up the speed on the single lane gravel forest road. I reached forward and hit the switch for the left side scene lights on the light bar. This caused a single halogen lamp to shine on the trunks of trees as they sped past- and showing the reflection of many sets of eyes in the darkness behind the trees, They were moving- tracking our vehicle- which was now doing about 40 on the narrow road. "We'll lose them on this straight" he said, now pushing fifty. I hit the scene light switch again- only trees. Phew! That was silly, I thought. We're in a car, and we get freaked out by some stupid wolves. Great.

Now out of danger, we approach the first switchback- slow down, make the turn- and there ahead of us- about a half dozen HUGE wolves in the road- waiting for us. They had gone straight down the hill to cut us off at the switchback.-then they were gone. What the hell? Now, we're ALL freaked out. Now tearing down the road, sending gravel flying, approaching the next switchback. I had left both side scene lights on at this point, but all they illuminated were the trunks of trees on the sides of the road. I turned them off. We make the turn- nothing -no wolves. Suddenly, I had an idea- I switched on the strobes. Frozen in disco stop motion of the strobes on both sides of the jeep - wolves - EXCEPT THEY WERE ALL STANDING ON TWO FEET, LIKE MEN! They bound off in frozen staccato stop motion- back down the grade- presumably to meet us on the next switchback- and then-

- I don't remember anything else. We were back on highway 2, heading towards Gold Bar. I turned off the strobes.

Stay away from Index after dark

Lol.  I remember this one too from AR15.COM.  I definitely remember that last line..."stay away from Index after dark"

Hmmm ... seems like someone told this story, in a more vague form, without mentioning "Index", a couple years back.  I thought it was told first-person.  Hmmm.

MIB

I had to check my maps on the Index area.  Mt. Index is over 3.5 miles away from the town of Index. Not much potential for a shadow there. There is no road to Gunn Lake / Gunn Peak.. Gunn Lake drains out to Lewis Creek. Forest Service Road 6310 is currently rated as an abandoned and overgrown logging road suitable for hiking from May to October. The road does have a section with switchbacks. 6310 goes to Bitter Creek. Money for trail maintenance is scarce so I assume that the trail is heavily overgrown and the hike would difficult.

From the 'story':  "Stay away from Index after dark".       Makes Index appear to be a fun place after dark.

Edited by Catmandoo
spelling