Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

BFF Patron

.....In order to get the shot off like he described the shooter had to be riding around with a loaded rifle in his lap ready to go. Why would you do such a reckless thing unless you KNEW what was about to happen.

1. Because that is what a segment of the population does for sport? (and maybe it's legal?)

2. Because maybe they did KNOW what was about to happen?

It is as good as any other proof/speculation to date, the rest is a lesson in trust, faith and lie-detectors or vetting on a "need-to-know" basis if you want to take it a step further.

As the previous poster mentions, there are lots of things wrong here. He just doesn't act like any hunter I have ever known or heard about. In order to get the shot off like he described the shooter had to be riding around with a loaded rifle in his lap ready to go. Why would you do such a reckless thing unless you KNEW what was about to happen.

I'm not saying they didn't shoot something, they probably did. It'd just the LOADS of baggage they carry with them. Look at all the actions they have admitted to. That gives me thoughts about what kind of stuff that might've happened that they are not telling anything about.

Lastly, what kinda guy is that driver? Yeah sure ill let you pile into my vehicle, rest your loaded hi powered rifle on your lap ready to go and then drive around to find something to kill. Sounds like fun to me, LETS GO!

No way I will ever buy that they went into a game wardens office and told him they shot something that they don't know what it is and want him to check on it and he simply replies "don't worry about it fellas, no big deal. Have a good one and drink an extra cool one for me!"

Nalajr

As a hunter myself, I understand the desire to harvest wholly organic, non corporate raised, wild game. I understand self defense and I can understand fear. But I can't understand the flippant mind set and lack of sincere motivations. As much as I would like to see the Bigfoot mystery solved, I hope these jack ***** aren't the vehicle to that resolution. If anything, both these guys should have their hunting licenses revoked and be spending quiet time with Bubba in the pokey. Poaching, shooting from a road, shooting from a vehicle & killing what has to be an endangered primate is beyond the pale.

Sorry for the rant. Those guys just rub me the wrong way.

Road hunting is legal where they were hunting, they weren't doing anything different than other hunters in the area exept for what they shot.

I don't know if it's legal to have the gun loaded in the vehicle, but all you have to do is keep the bolt open and drop a round in, it takes a have a second.

Edited by zigoapex

Guest Cervelo

^^^^

Road hunting legal?

I would be shocked that discharging a weapon from a public road for the intended purpose of hunting is legal anywhere in the US.

I would also think firing from a vehicle is frowned upon as well.

They may have been in a public hunting area and on a trail as opposed to a "road" maybe.

Not trying to start anything;) truly would be interested in knowing, also think it should be cleared up for our non hunting members.

These guys don't do outdoorsman any favors!

Edited by Cervelo

I have actually witnessed a pick up truck, stop on a bridge, and a shooter stand up in the bed of the truck and take three shots at deer just off the road. I was trout fishing by the bridge at the time.That was not exactly a remote location either,people do these sorts of things all the time.

Guest Cervelo

I'm not saying they don't do it, I've witnessed it first hand as well, from a whole lot closer than your describing.

Just looking for a little clarification for those less informed about what's legal as opposed to the perception that these to "hunters" project for those less informed about hunting.

Hunting on a road, next to a vehicle, or from within a vehicle.. is illegal. Here, it is within 50' of the centerline (or center ) of any road (including dirt forest roads). A common practice of poachers (aka meat hunters). I've seen it happen at night, with spotlights, from within vehicles..in state forests. Usually, if they see someone camping (like me), they don't shoot, and only spot.. but there are some bold exceptions.

Most of the time, they get away with it , in remote locations.. because no one there to report them. Sometimes, their fantastic tales on forums and blogs..will give them away, later.

Guest Cervelo

Oh I know the rules in Va. didn't think they would be that diffrent out west.

Or maybe the west was a little wilder than I thought :)

I got this from a 2nd Amendment/Firearms attorney website:

8. Hunting, Loaded Firearms And Vehicles: With some exceptions, in California it is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm (with a live round attached in a manner from which it can readily be fired; just having the an empty firing chamber is not compliant) on your person or in a vehicle in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area (meaning where the discharge of firearms is prohibited) of unincorporated county territory. In those areas in which hunting with firearms is allowed, “It is unlawful to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments which is standing on or along or is being driven on or along any public highway or other way open to the public†California Fish & Game Code Section 2006. CAUTION! There is a published California Attorney General’s Opinion stating that the prohibition of Section 2006 also applies to the placing of a loaded rifle or shotgun on the exterior portion of vehicle as well as in the interior, for example, placing a loaded rifle or shotgun on the hood or in the bed of your pickup truck.

9. Don’t Shoot From Your Vehicle, Powerboat, Sailboat Or Airplane, Or, From Or Across A Road:It is unlawful to shoot at any game bird or mammal, including a marine mammal, from a powerboat, sailboat, motor vehicle, or airplane. It is unlawful to shoot any firearm from or upon a public road or highway.

10. National Forests: It is unlawful to shoot a firearm in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area; or across or on, a Forest Development Road or adjacent body of water; or in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge. Remember that the shooting regulations for some National Forests (for example, Angeles National Forest) may be more restrictive than others. Also keep in mind that, particularly in Southern California, during hunting season some National Forest areas may be closed due to fire danger or there may be prohibitions on camp fires or smoking. End

Guys,

The only exception for road hunting that I'm aware of in California is for disabled persons who have the proper permit. Also, when my kids took their hunter safety class last year they were told by the insturctor not to hunt within 150 yards of any TRAIL. Regarless of what kind of road/trail Justin and the driver were using it would have to AT LEAST be considered a trail which would make it illeal as far as I can tell.

Edited by Henry Frapp

This here is cowboy country, Cervelo.

Metrosexuals, dudes, and prep school alum will be surprised by the culture, perhaps. We have rodeos, horses, guns, jeeps and pickup trucks and we know how to use them. (slapping sidearm holster for emphasis) Now, you might visit us from time to time, but you won't get the full flavor of the place from that. Just cuz we have a Macy's in the mall doesn't mean the guns in that gun rack aren't loaded.

I live in little Clovis, California, a carbuncle on the side of Fresno's eastern flank, and it's a average little whitebread / tortilla kind of place with a lot of SE Asian refugees, great big ag business, and a thriving 4-H program. The SE Asians here are mostly Hmong. Their way of life includes agriculture and hunting, and they fit right in. The old fella walking his granddaughter to kindergarten, he is an old school guerrilla/ jungle warrior and handy with a rifle. Takes the grandkids hunting in the Sierra, observing the law in most cases. Sports are popular, and so is camping, going to church, and voting. The city was built around ranching and logging. We have an annual rodeo and festival, rodeo queen, all that.

Hunting is routine. I can well imagine a guy riding around up in the hills, up away from civilization, with his gun loaded, ready to shoot some bear. Observing the law in most cases. I reckon you just carry it pointed out the window, and not at the driver. Most of the Sierra is untravelled and lots of it has never been seen by a man. Most of it has never been seen by a man who wasn't in the lumber business. You can get away with murder. So to speak. How they gonna prove you were on the road?

Edited by Kings Canyon

Guest Cervelo

^^^^

Ummm thanks for the update there cowboy ;)

FYI I might know just a little more about poaching than you may think!

Edited by Cervelo

Justin did talk about shooting from the truck in an interview, i can't remember witch one, but he did mention that was pretty standard operating procedure,

and not just poachers. i know Maine it is legal to hunt from a vehicle, stop the vehicle get out and shoot. Again, it takes a half a second to put a round in an

open bolt and close it.

Guest Cervelo

Z,

What the heck are talking about, if your not in the vehicle your not hunting from it!

You drive your vehicle to go hunting, that's not the same thing as shooting from your vehicle.

I can be pretty confident that in Maine it's illegal to shoot from your vehicle hunting or not.

Guest mdhunter

^^What are you sayin' Cerv, are you a poacher?

States have different laws concerning road hunting. Some you only have to step out of the vehicle and not shoot across the road. Not my kind of thing, but I guess some people like it. In the grand scheme of whether they harvested a Sasquatch or not, little particulars about whether he had rounds in the magazine with an open bolt are irrelevant. I wouldn't expect the truth about little stuff like that or whether he rested the rifle on the truck door. He has likely been instructed by a lawyer on what to say so as not to incriminate himself legally.

That's the first time I've seen that artist rendering and all I can say is I find it very interesting.

Guest Cervelo

MD,

Nope but have hung around with some Game Wardens.

Use to be part of hunt club on a very large farm just west of Richmond Va. that had a special permit to manage the deer population and the Warden/and member would often monitor the culling got to hear some fascinating stories.

I don't give a you know what about the details of this little fantasy, it's just the blathering of supposed hunting "facts" of what's legal or not that bothers me .

Virginia is one of the few states that still hunts with dogs and road hunting is alive and well in Virginia.

Know way to much about what happens when your deer dogs drive a deer into the road and cause a car accident that gets ugly real quick.

Did it for years but not a fan of it these days.

Edited by Cervelo