Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest Cervelo

MD,

I consider myself a redneck just not the same type as these two :)

There's good rednecks and bad rednecks

Don't forget where I live Richmond Va.

Your just barely one of us LOL :)

02712a1b.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Guest mdhunter

^ Ahh, I live in Md. That doesn't mean I'm from Md. :secret: It's all good. Sometimes I get a lil' sensitive about the misnomer.

I'm a redneck, I'll leave out what I think they are and where I think they come from. It may go way out of forum rules. But they are typically the type of people I have to run off my property. The mentality is not much different than the wanna' be gangstas. If you want to know what I really think I'll PM ya'. But I think we basically agree. Just choose different words. :)

It was clearly a case of shoot now, think later. But that is how you do if you want to shoot a bear because they skedaddle soon as they see you. At least most of them around here do. In Yosemite, not so much.

SSR Team

Cervelo,

Why does this bother you "it's just the blathering of supposed hunting "facts" of what's legal or not that bothers me." I mean it is not great but it is how society functions. I know in some sports that people skirt the rules all the time, and they will tell you that they are well within the rules.

I understand that it might be frustrating, but not everyone is Lawful, some are Chaotic (DnD reference for all you ex players out there).

G-

There's nothing wrong or it's not a problem if something bothers you when you believe that something is wrong, grossly wrong.

It's why i have big respect for Mr Cervelo even though we don't agree on everything ( but we do on this ), having the belief and feeling that he has specifically in this context, is admirable.

Edited by BobbyO

I didn't say I thought they were right. I just ask why he expected better. I think most people don't know crap about the laws, or really just have an understanding that was either taught to them incorrectly, or their own mixed up belief.

SSR Team

Fair enough, expecting better from human beings would generally be a slippery slope whatever the subject is.

Nice user name by the way..;)

I believe hunters follow the law mostly. I follow the law mostly. So do you. On occasion I exceed the speed limit momentarily. I might roll through a stop sign from time to time. Personally, I don't do that daily or maybe even weekly, but once in a while. I am not saying laws are made to be broken or that it's okay to disobey laws, especially where guns are involved.

I am saying that I suppose hunters sometimes skirt the law, as do most of us. I know some do it more than others. I can guess from the videos that these two fellas are not too careful of the law, just careful not to get caught. They be afeared of the fish and game boys. Of the sheriff. But not of breaking the law if no one is looking.

Was it ethical? um No. They shot when they had doubt. From habit. So not to go home empty handed. From the dumb. And then realized their gross error and hid the evidence and fled. According to them.

Their ethics are shifty. The driver seems less ethical than the shooter. Shooter expresses remorse. Driver not at all. What are you expecting from these two? We cannot be sure of anything they say. You speak of ethics? These guys don't have lofty ethics. Pshaw. So take it all with a grain of salt and see what shakes out.

KC I think you just described the lifestyle of most of us.....in PA I think you have to be at least 25 ft from a vehicle or roadway to even be loaded--are we gonna get out our tape measure if we see the shot of the season standing 50 yds away? Who does that?? We get the ammo in place and take aim, often using the hood of the vehicle as an armrest......with the duo in the matter at hand, I don't really have an opinion since I have yet to see a body from the account.

Guest Thepattywagon

"The driver seems less ethical than the shooter. Shooter expresses remorse. Driver not at all."

Which is the opposite of how things were initially portrayed, IMO.

Remember, it was Driver, not Smeja who was telling Justin not to shoot, that it was not a bear, etc.

It was also Driver who (according to Smeja) was mad when Justin shot the young'n.

But now, after some time has passed, the roles are reversed?

BFF Members- just for the record I did not consider the actions at the sierra site as being handled in a prudent and safe manner, unlike most hunters. With that said let me add this, that the shooter has showngreat remorse and has staed many times on this very forum that it could have been handled differantly.

We (the forum) keep going over this point agian and agian focusing on the past and I (just saying) believe we have / are beating a dead horse here. Also as a nother point is that I was wondering about the mis-identification part of this incident , and keep in mind that this thread is about the sierra shooting incident, and that in the drivers video interview he said he was actually wondering why the shooter was taking so long to shoot. All in all, lets just ask the question, would you have shot? Would the vast majority of hunters in America have shot? If yes then you can ask yourself the same question that the shooter had and try and jam that question into a 3-4 second dicision frame and hope it is the same answer that would accomatate the opinion of our members to their satisfation. Also I think that if anyone wants to know the regulations from state to state then those are readily avaliable on the web.

Guest Cervelo

I think I've stated pretty clearly in the past my position on this and it has nothing to do with the moral/ethical issue of shooting a Bigfoot fire away just don't leave the body next time!

It's two issues for me, the most recent please see above explanation.

The second would be...

No I could not have shot anything that was on two legs walking towards me with its hands up, while my spotter was telling me not to shoot.

Guest mdhunter

Since it is brought up and I don't know if I have made my position clear, I am firmly in the Pro Kill camp.

My problem is aside from the ethical,moral, legal concerns that really mean nothing here, is that 3-4 seconds is not enough time to 100% positively identify an unknown bipedal creature. Scope or not, at the ranges shown and with the spotter saying not to shoot, with it's arms waving, It could have been a person. Plain and simple. I really don't want to argue this because nobody is going to change my mind on this.

If this mentality is endorsed in any way it will not be a good thing. Not just for BF, but for people just trying to enjoy the outdoors. That would all be assuming the story is true. It's been how many years and no proof has been released to the public? Just a little hyperbole every once in a while.

@MDhunter

They(roe,shawn, justin, and one other guy) did a trip out there in August and they had activity and they are going to release a thermal video soon.

I did have a couple small conversations with Justin, and being a hunter myself, IMO, I believe

that it did happen. Just by some of the things mentioned, how he described it, it's just not details you put in a bs

story, because in the bs stories, they seem to stay away from the small details.

Also,That lie detector test is much harder to fool than people think, there was also a video analysis done with the test that had the same test results.

I know one thing, he mentioned more than once, if had to do it all over again, he would not have pulled the trigger.