Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

BFF Patron

FYI how they describe going about it is exactly how poachers hunt.

Exactly that is the "segment of the population" statement I made that can be sometimes confused for "sportsmen".

Z,

What the heck are talking about, if your not in the vehicle your not hunting from it!

You drive your vehicle to go hunting, that's not the same thing as shooting from your vehicle.

I can be pretty confident that in Maine it's illegal to shoot from your vehicle hunting or not.

You stop get out and shoot. you are still using the vehicle to locate the game and shoot, that's hunting from your vehicle, different from shooting from the vehicle.

in pa, where i live, you have to be 25 ft from the vehicle and roadway. to load and shoot at an animal.

I think Justin has made it pretty clear that it doesn't really matter the manner in which he found himself in that position but rather, the aftermath.

Guest Cervelo

Z,

I get it now we are having one of those semantical/absurd discussions that accomplishes nothing, (takes two to tango) but thanks for wasting my time, its duly noted so I don't mistake your opinion for anything serious in future, it was fun :)

Edited by Cervelo

Guest mdhunter

ETA: Nevermind all got covered while I was eating.

@ Cerv- I didn't think you were,I keep forgetting the smiley faces. I've shared property with Game Wardens. I t can be quite interesting.

Edited by mdhunter

If I can remember right, in South Dakota when we were hunting pheasants you can drive around with a loaded gun and shoot pheasants. You have to be out of the vehicle and you can't shoot the bird if its 60 feet off the center line, after that distance its on private property. We did a little of that but it was more fun beating the fields.

It seemed South Dakota wanted to make it real easy for out of staters to harvest birds.

In Maryland (correct me if I'm wrong MD Hunter) you can hunt right next to the road but not shoot from a vehicle or across the road. We were goose hunting a couple years ago and I called the DNR to ask that very question as the pond we were hunting was 30 yards from the road. The officer said I could have my foot on the white line as long as I didn't shoot across. I could be wrong though as it seems every officer had a different interpretation, and I didn't have the book with me, just a cell phone :)

Edited by will

i know Maine it is legal to hunt from a vehicle, stop the vehicle get out and shoot.

i have to disagree with that, zig. It only took me one Google and 30 seconds, to find this info. Just want to set the record straight, for anyone reading:

http://www.eregulati...ing-provisions/

I'm pretty sure.. that any state in the east, it would be the same. It does vary from the distance of the road or trails you can hunt and shoot, from state to state. There is little doubt, that there are plenty of hunters out there, that don't care about any of this.. unfortunately.

Edited by imonacan

Guest mdhunter

^^ The game regs used to say 125' off the road. I haven't bought a license in a couple years because I've only been hunting my property(not required on your own property and you are a resident of the state) and I really only bowhunt. Evidently somewhere along the line they changed it to what you just said. I had a poaching incident on my property a couple years ago (one of many). That's when I learned of the change. But you are supposed to have written permission and private land does not have to be posted. Public land is clearly marked with Yellow every so many feet. But if you were in my area your last name or associations can change laws and evidence at will. Sometimes country folk have to handle things in a country way.

South Dakota seemed to want to make it easy to enjoy for everybody the few times I've been there. I won't get into Maryland's game management plans too deep, but they seem to be more about politics than animals.

Guest Cervelo

ETA: Nevermind all got covered while I was eating.

@ Cerv- I didn't think you were,I keep forgetting the smiley faces. I've shared property with Game Wardens. I t can be quite interesting.

We are solid bro!

The first time I had ever heard about poachers using 22s to kill deer was from a Game Warden,

i have to disagree with that, zig. It only took me one Google and 30 seconds, to find this info. Just want to set the record straight, for anyone reading:

http://www.eregulati...ing-provisions/

I'm pretty sure.. that any state in the east, it would be the same. It does vary from the distance of the road or trails you can hunt and shoot, from state to state. There is little doubt, that there are plenty of hunters out there, that don't care about any of this.. unfortunately.

I had friends that hunted up there and that's how most of the hunters were hunting, on back roads. not the paved roads. Not shooting from the vehicles but stopping getting out and shooting. I was hunting Saskatchewan and that is common practice up there, the guide wanted to take me the one day but I don't

care to hunt that way, I have to be in the woods before i'd shoot, ACTUALLY hunting. :)

Cervelo,

Why does this bother you "it's just the blathering of supposed hunting "facts" of what's legal or not that bothers me." I mean it is not great but it is how society functions. I know in some sports that people skirt the rules all the time, and they will tell you that they are well within the rules.

I understand that it might be frustrating, but not everyone is Lawful, some are Chaotic (DnD reference for all you ex players out there).

G-

^^ The game regs used to say 125' off the road. I haven't bought a license in a couple years because I've only been hunting my property(not required on your own property and you are a resident of the state) and I really only bowhunt. Evidently somewhere along the line they changed it to what you just said. I had a poaching incident on my property a couple years ago (one of many). That's when I learned of the change. But you are supposed to have written permission and private land does not have to be posted. Public land is clearly marked with Yellow every so many feet. But if you were in my area your last name or associations can change laws and evidence at will. Sometimes country folk have to handle things in a country way.

South Dakota seemed to want to make it easy to enjoy for everybody the few times I've been there. I won't get into Maryland's game management plans too deep, but they seem to be more about politics than animals.

Can't be worse than Pa, If they are,god bless ya !

Guest Cervelo

Cervelo,

Why does this bother you "it's just the blathering of supposed hunting "facts" of what's legal or not that bothers me." I mean it is not great but it is how society functions. I know in some sports that people skirt the rules all the time, and they will tell you that they are well within the rules.

I understand that it might be frustrating, but not everyone is Lawful, some are Chaotic (DnD reference for all you ex players out there).

G-

It bothers me because these two "hunters" are shall we say less than ethical, and represent some of the most stereotypical redneck behavior I've ever seen combined with what I would consider ignorant statements as to what's legal as far as the parameters to shoot under.

What some of you might not realize is this fourm is read and actually has some under age members that might misinterpret the behavior and erroneous assesment of what's legal.

As well as adult members that aren't familar with hunting and also might interpet this behavior as normal.

Not to mention it involves weapons which I find to be often a little more lethal than a soccer ball but that's just been my experience yours may differ ;)

If you want to know what I really think send me a pm or ask me in the tar pit:)

Edited by Cervelo

Guest mdhunter

^^ My sister is in rural Eastern Pa. It seems the mindset is similar. The last I checked gamelaws they were following ours.That's been a few years.

^ Just for the sake of knowledge, stereotypical Redneck behavior would be hardworking coal miners being gunned down by the U.S. Government for standing up for their rights. Safe work environment,competitive wages, and hours. The bloodiest battle on U.S. soil including the Civil War. I didn't learn that from History Channel, it's part of my family's history.