Colorado Ranch owner and big game outfitter claims to have BFs on his property

Explorer

4 hours ago, bipedalist said:

The tying on of an elk carcass and movements of 400 lb feed sacks is getting up there and is fairly incredible.  Reminds me of the Montana story of a bull elk being dragged across a highway in 20 below zero weather.  I would say if this thing is as destructive as labeled in events recounted that anything you deploy has the strong possibility of never working again or being picked up and hurled at you or used against you as a weapon.  Best advice mount a gopro or similar to all vehicles for as long as the vehicles last.  Try some faux camps with spy powders for finger and footprints.  Can't fake them out with bear boards, trail cams so these things figure out risk/hurt fairly well.  

(I don't mean to sidetrack from the original post)

Is this referring to the report of the tow truck driver that was called out at about 1:00AM in freezing weather to tow a vehicle that had hit an elk and reported seeing a Bigfoot dragging off the elk in about 3 ft. of snow?

BFF Patron
13 minutes ago, OkieFoot said:

(I don't mean to sidetrack from the original post)

Is this referring to the report of the tow truck driver that was called out at about 1:00AM in freezing weather to tow a vehicle that had hit an elk and reported seeing a Bigfoot dragging off the elk in about 3 ft. of snow?

Yes, and I researched the nearest weather station that date and it was an accurate weather report. 

Edited by bipedalist

57 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Yes, and I researched the nearest weather station that date and it was an accurate weather report. 

Interesting. Do you have a link to the report? 

9 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Interesting. Do you have a link to the report? 

NatFoot, it's BFRO Report #33257, Phillips County, MT. 

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=33257

Edited by OkieFoot
  • Thanks 1

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, Explorer said:

The key is to get a camera at a far enough distance that it cannot be destroyed by a rock throw.

So I guessed that a camera at 300 ft  elevation would make it very difficult (and near impossible) for a BF to throw a smaller rock that high up and hit it.

I asked before (and nobody answered), how high could a BF throw a rock to disable a camera?

The 300 ft distance was based on my hiking among the redwoods, which can be that high, and you can't see their tops and it would be very difficult for BF to throw a rock at a top that it can't see.

I think 100 ft would be a doable target  for a BF (with a baseball sized rock) if it can throw a 70 lb rock 47 yards.

Maybe all you need is 200 ft, but we don't know?

What we want is near certainty that it can't be knocked down.

Now if BF can topple the hopefully well anchored steel pole with their  massive force, then the whole idea is moot.

I did think that a drone or small blimp anchored over the property at 300 ft (or whatever the legal limit is, but the higher the better) would also accomplish the task but they will require more maintenance and supervision (and might be more expensive long term (we want 24/7 surveillance).

You would have to watch out for wind conditions all the time and keep lowering them for battery replacements and maintenance.

Some folks who posted above understood my point, which is to use the elevation and technology advantage to prevent the creature from getting to the camera.

The cameras that I provided a link to are not cheap either.  One camera and the software costs ~$14,000 each and you need 2 of them.

This guy could afford a $30-$50 K investment in 24/7 security if he wants to protect his family and livelihood.

Specially when he claims that these creatures have been visiting his ranch every year since 2014 and are getting more aggressive.

We got to think out of the box if we want to catch good video. 

Continuing to place $300-$500 game camera traps around the property and knowing that they are being detected and destroyed is fruitless.

You can have an tethered balloon up to 400 feet.     Above that it requires registration with the FAA as a obstruction.     There is no way a BF can launch a rock of any size that high.    The bigger risk is that it hauls down an unattended balloon by the tether.    I really looked into the tendered balloon thing.       You could leave it up for days at a time or move it every day.    Unlike a drone,  it does not take energy to stay in the air, so the only battery drain would be the camera gear.   You could even get around that by having an electrical conductor as a tether.     That would reduce the balloon payload so it would be a tradeoff as to if a battery would be better.       I would likely move it every day, or just deploy it when I am. there.      At 400 feet, you could be a considerable distance away from it and receive the camera signals.    BF would have no idea where you are because you could be several miles away.    I would want to remotely control the camera.    It should have a stabilization system.     Much of this kind of camera gear is available for off the shelf for drone use.      Including low light gear.    It might even be a curiosity that would get them to get a better look.    You certainly would have to lower it with much wind.   This idea was for general research not to help out a property owner having problems. 

Back to this thread.      I have always maintained that an aggressive and angry bigfoot is a potential asset.    Their typical behavior is shrink back and avoid being seen.    It they have tantrums because of human presence,  they are far more likely to show themselves with bluff charges etc.   Colorado seems to have more than its fair share of angry BF.     The area East of Granite Falls in Washington State called the forest loop road or something like that,   has had reports of angry bluff charging BF for years.   I have wanted to research that area but will not do it solo.  If it stops at bluff charges that is an opportunity for good video.   My fear is that being there solo the charge may escallate beyond being bluff.   Something has ticked off the BF in that area.   I don't want to join the ranks of the missing in Washington State.  

Edited by SWWASAS

BFF Patron

I would never leave it unattended for that very reason.      If you think about it a drone you might get a half dozen flights a day at less than an hour each.     Deploy a balloon and you can be imaging all day.      My plan was to get one that I could fit into the back of my pickup, then store it in my aircraft hangar at night.       A power winch would make it easy to deploy and haul down.   Of course the story would be that I am into wildlife photography (which is true)  should some forest ranger wonder what I was doing.   

Edited by SWWASAS

21 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I would never leave it unattended for that very reason.      If you think about it a drone you might get a half dozen flights a day at less than an hour each.     Deploy a balloon and you can be imaging all day.      My plan was to get one that I could fit into the back of my pickup, then store it in my aircraft hangar at night.       A power winch would make it easy to deploy and haul down.   Of course the story would be that I am into wildlife photography (which is true)  should some forest ranger wonder what I was doing.   

It's not a bad plan

I think the only way you could leave it out for days would be if it was private property and even there over the years I've had trail cameras stolen.

BFF Patron

Yes private property would be safer.     As far as leaving it up,  unless you are continuously recording,  there is not much reason to do that.         Continuous recording would bring up the image storage limitation issue.    High res video really fills up digital storage fast.     I my big fear would be the wind coming up and the camera being destroyed or hung up in a tree.    

Where I would like to deploy something like this being caught up wouldn't be too much of a concern because I would deploy it in the middle of a small  boat anchored well .

Obviously would check weather forecast for the two days . What I would really also like but out of the question cost wise is a thermal for night time filming as well.

Summer time water is the best chance of seeing any game including Sasquatch in my opinion . Mine wouldn't be too high up because really in my case I'm more concerned with covering and filming all  the shore line. 360 degrees 

Lake isn't that large maybe 85 to 100  acres  but it's natural under ground spring fed 

Edited by 7.62

On 2/8/2020 at 8:00 PM, 7.62 said:

If these events are true and happened as the guide said it sounds to me it tried to kill them.

Exactly.  

If it missed by an inch and a half, it probably was an accidental miss...not on purpose.  

I wouldn't put this into the 'warning shot' category.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 10:39 PM, 7.62 said:

This is a 80 pound one so if it was close to this and it left a 4" or 5 inch  impression  in the ground when it hit  that's a big rock to throw 47 yards .

Thanks for posting this...

Lots of people (including myself) have a difficult time visualizing objects based on their stated weight.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RedHawk454 said:

How come Sasquatch doesn’t have their feet freeze in the snow?

Same reason dogs and wolves can .

Dogs may be able to walk on snow because of a unique internal heating system, Japanese scientists have discovered. ... Arterial blood flows to the end of their legs and then heats up venous blood before returning it to the heart," Ninomiya said. "In other words, they have a heat exchange system in their feet."

Canine circulation utilizes warm, oxygenated blood to heat the blood that has been in contact with a cold surface before pumping it back to the dog's heart, according to Reuters. 

"Dogs exchange heat at the end of their legs. Arterial blood flows to the end of their legs and then heats up venous blood before returning it to the heart," Ninomiya said. "In other words, they have a heat exchange system in their feet."

His research, which is based on his examination of the arteries and veins in a preserved dog's leg under an electron microscope, is published in the journal Veterinary Dermatology.

Dogs are not the only animals that possess this sort of heat exchange circulatory system: dolphins also circulate heat in a similar fashion, Ninomiya said. However, just like humans, not all dogs are cut out for the cold. 

"Dogs evolved from wolves, and so they still have some of that ancestry remaining," Ninomiya said. "But that doesn't mean that one should always go and drag around in the snow all the time. There are many varieties of dogs nowadays that are not able to stand the cold."

• gigantor unfeatured this topic