Weapon Of Choice

Rod

Rod,

Congratulations in creating one of the most interesting threads on the forum.  You've received plenty of advice, I'll limit my comments to a defensive handgun choice.  There are several excellent models of large revolvers made by Smith and Wesson, Ruger and Taurus.  I think Darrell's comments about weight are particularly "on-point".  I recommend you have at least a four inch barrel to get the most out of large magnum cartridges.  The 10mm Glock would be good for anything up to black bear.

Revolvers:

- S&W 629, 44 Mag, 5" barrel

- Taurus Raging Bull 444, 454 Casull 5" barrel

- Taurus Raging Bull 444 Titanium, 44 Mag, 4" barrel

- Ruger Redhawk, 44 Mag, 4.2" barrel

- Ruger Super Readhawk, 454 Casull, 7.5" barrel (this one is heavy)

Semi-auto:

- Glock 20, 10mm

I second the recommendation of the S&W 629 Mountain Gun.  Note that the vast majority of ballistics charts do not include data for short barreled, magnum revolvers.  454 Casull is too much recoil for most people to enjoy shooting.

post-21562-0-94822100-1379053697_thumb.j

post-21562-0-12941300-1379053717_thumb.j

post-21562-0-47716000-1379053727_thumb.j

there is too much cross over with my Ruger GSR and I think the GSR is a better platform. Id like to see Marlin do a Guide Gun in 500 S&W. You could get better performance and at least 3 more rounds in the magazine.

By Ruger GSR you mean scout rifle, in .308?  Huh.  I would think they are not so similar to consider there to be too much cross over, especially for someone that likes Marlin lever-guns so much.  Seems you wouldn't need much of a reason to buy another.

What rifles are available in .50 S&W and hold so many rounds?  Honest question, but what's your criteria for "better performance" when comparing the .50 S&W and the .45-70?  I assume since you're talking about rifles you mean better performance out of a rifle?

Guest COGrizzly

My weapon of choice. It totally SLAYS my honey nut cheerios with a sliced banana. Some prefer a larger caliber spoon, but for me, its perfect. Just the right combo of milk (of course blue diamond), cheerio and banana in each bite.

post-126-0-14120000-1379090230_thumb.jpg

Edited by COGrizzly

By Ruger GSR you mean scout rifle, in .308?  Huh.  I would think they are not so similar to consider there to be too much cross over, especially for someone that likes Marlin lever-guns so much.  Seems you wouldn't need much of a reason to buy another.

Both rifles are almost exactly the same size and weight. The 308 is, IMO, a better cartridge balistically, and it holds 10 rds in a quick detachable box magazine. Comes factory with peep sights.

What rifles are available in .50 S&W and hold so many rounds?  Honest question, but what's your criteria for "better performance" when comparing the .50 S&W and the .45-70?  I assume since you're talking about rifles you mean better performance out of a rifle?

AFAIK, only custom rifles are available for the 500 S&W. The Marlin Guide Gune holds 4 rounds IIRC. On the same platform you could fit 7 500 S&W  cartridges in that length magazine.

The Big Horn Armory model 89 is a .500 SW lever action.  It is off the shelf.  Not really cheap, about $2300 but it looks like a pretty nice rifle.

I thought you were talking more about the cartridge/bullet relative to the GSR, not the physical size of the firearm.  .308 isn't much like .45-70 and therefore not much crossover in my mind.

I'm used to the other Marlin 1895s in .45-70 that have the longer magazine, or the fact people modify them.  My Marlin .45-70 holds 6 or 6+1 so I thought you meant 9 or more rounds of .50 S&W.

^ you are right, 308 Win is superior to the 45-70. Which is why we issue rifles chambered in that caliber as sniper and SDM rifles.

Right. But you are not going cape buffalo hunting with a .308. Each is superior in thier own right. It's hard to argue with 500 grains in a charge.

^ you are right, 308 Win is superior to the 45-70. Which is why we issue rifles chambered in that caliber as sniper and SDM rifles.

I didn't say that, you did.  Actually, I think each caliber and platform brings something different and unique to the mix.  There is a reason the .308 is often (although not always) used as a sniper or SDM rifle and not the .45-70; however, that's not (in my opinion) the only factor as to whether a bullet/cartridge/platform is superior.

Norseman,

I agree that the modern Marlin chambered in 45-70 is a very capable gun. With special loads it is capable of taking dangerous game as your pictures illustrate. However, I think you should advise forum readers that standard 45-70 factory ammo is not adequate for the dangerous game pictured.

Norseman,

I agree that the modern Marlin chambered in 45-70 is a very capable gun. With special loads it is capable of taking dangerous game as your pictures illustrate. However, I think you should advise forum readers that standard 45-70 factory ammo is not adequate for the dangerous game pictured.

The very existence of the .450 Marlin is because of this issue. The .450 Marlin is a belted case so that it cannot be loaded into ancient Springfield trap door .45-70 rifles. The CUP pressures found in these modern cartridges are dangerous when loaded into old rifles. Boiled down to brass tacks? It's simply a liability issue. 

If your shooting a modern rifle chambered in .45-70 then you need not worry. Although to be fair a lever action rifle is not as strong of a action as a bolt action rifle. The bolt does not lock to battery as firmly as a bolt action rifle. One exception that comes to mind with a rotary style bolt is the Browning Lever action Rifle.

But you can buy factory ammo that is quite capable of taking dangerous game for the  .45-70:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=154

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/

Yes, all good info. I am very happy with my guide gun in 45-70.

I know someone that dropped a bison with one round of standard factory ammo. Shot placement was excellent. I just wanted readers to understand chasing Cape buffalo or lions with standard 45-70 is not wise.

No doubt about it that for African dangerous game the .45-70 is considered marginal with hard hitting factory loads, let alone castrated factory "safe" loads for grand dads Springfield rifle.

A person going on safari in Africa will need to check with their PH before packing anything in the rifle case.

BUT, it is capable of getting the job done.