Weapon Of Choice

Rod

• 4 months later...

Since MD has serious gun laws, i just tend to carry a full tang combat knife, blade is 4" long so not too big.

I also carry a small hatchet which can be useful in the field for many reasons.

If i was doing a serious several day hike in camp excursion Id take my SpringfieldXD .45 as well, Solid reliable, 13 in the clip. Only down side is 13 rds of 45 are pretty heavy

I like my CZ75B better than the springfield and it is easy to shoot but it is not as reliable and jams on ejection have not been unheard of

Guest Darrell

Im glad this thread is still going! Funny how the discussion went to 45 ACP handguns. This one I picked up a couple months ago. Its a S&W 625-2 and is kind of rare as it has the 3" barrel and was a special edition when offered in the late 80's. I took it with me last weekend for an all day hike on the east side of Mt Spokane. Its a nice packing revolver.

6QKMJl.jpg

I also like to pack my S&W 629 Mountain Revolver. 6 shots of 44 mag in a some what lighter N frame revolver. Recoil is pretty stout but I have worked up some reloads that work pretty well that dont hurt to shoot.

QGXAPl.jpg

But my favorite go to the woods guns are still my S&W 686+ 7 shot 357 Mag and my S&W 317 8 shot 22 LR. Both carry well along with my other woods & survival gear and offer adequate defensive options.

0OnMOl.jpg

W403Yl.jpg

And of course sometimes I just carry my duty weapon (Glock 23) since 13 rds of 40 S&W 165 gr GDHP's with a 15 rd reload is still a pretty good way to put some hurt on most things you find in the woods.

Edited by Darrell

Incorrigible1

Agreed again. It's not unlike the reports from Somalia, during the "Blackhawk Down" events. The Delta Force guys made claim after claim that multiple hits from their 5.56mm rifles (.22 Cal) having no effect on the recipients. While I'm a fan of .30 caliber battle rifles, it's quite possible the reports may have come from those convinced they didn't miss their targets.

Believe me 5.56 (m193) is not something you would want to get hit by. Especially within 150-300 meters. The damage can be catastrophic and the round has excellent lethality under combat conditions. However much of the rounds respective lethality goes into the training of the person firing the weapon. 5.56 was designed for attrition warfare and ease of transport and resupply since the round weighs half that of 7.62. The Delta and Rangers were faced with a very unique situation, outnumbered, outgunned and facing an enemy jacked up on Khat certainly played a role in the enemies demeanor. Seem to me the skinnies had plenty of fear of the 5.56 round when 25000 marine boots were on the gound.

I think a better solution would be to somehow incorporate tumbling and yawing (BACK since it used to be there with rifling of the M-16 or variant) into the bullet after it escapes fragmentation velocity. In this way the bullet continues to be an effective manstopper. This requires increased development of bullet technology, not increasing the size of the bullet, which in my opinion is just a crude low tech solution.

Trust me at no time in the forseeable future are the U.S Marines going to 6.8 SPC nor are they adopting a 5.56 IAR. I've seen the results of enough engagements, the 5.56 will kill a bad guy well beyond 300 yards but the shooter has to be on his game. Luckily all Marines are required to qualify at 500 each year. Most Army rifle ranges are only 300. The few accounts of distance shooting a M-14/M-39 or M-110 will do the job, thats why we (Marines) have reinstituted a DM (Designated Markeman) into each squad armed with the M-14/M-39 to deal with those special situations. We have a saying "If they are within 300, we've screwed up and it's time to fix bayonets and get ready to hook and jab."

Personally I love the idea of 6.8, but it will cost billions and it simply ain't happening. My weapon of choice for the woods and a raunchy Sasquatch is my 86 HK-91, however I typically carry a Colt Mk3 Trooper Special .357 Mag.

Edited by Tautriadelta

• 1 month later...
Guest Hndrx

Whenever I go exploring in the woods, I generally carry either my old S&W 586 in .357 or my Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec in .45 ACP.

With just a little practice, you can shoot a bolt action just as fast as a lever.

I am just as comfortable shooting my model 70 in 338 winmag. As I am my model 94 in 450 marlin

Just practice cycling the action without moving the rifle from your shoulder

Would a double barrel .45 Auto provide adequate security from a rogue bigfoot?

http://dvice.com/arc...-barrel-p.php#6

Not even remotely......think bear here. If you were taking a fishing trip to Alaska, what would you bring that would stop a full charge?

In all reality even the largest hand cannon is marginal.

Guest crabshack

squezze off all the rounds u want, still nothing more effective,cheaper and lighter than..........bear spray.

LOL right, and like bears I'm sure a squatch will like the seasoning your giving yourself.

Billy, that may be, but I'll still carry a big-bore sidearm, and a good knife. If i'm in Grizzly country fishing, the rod and reel are broken down and the .50 Alaskan rifle is in my hands when walking from spot to spot. (12ga with Dixie Slugs will get the job done as well).

Billy, that may be, but I'll still carry a big-bore sidearm, and a good knife. If i'm in Grizzly country fishing, the rod and reel are broken down and the .50 Alaskan rifle is in my hands when walking from spot to spot. (12ga with Dixie Slugs will get the job done as well).

If bear spray is the be all, end all that some claim it is I wonder why CO's all over North America ensure that at least one of them is packing a rifle or shotgun when they are releasing possibly aggressive grizzlies or polar bears

I think it's because they know that someone will hear the sound of the big-bore and help recover the body after the big bear eats them because they weren't properly peppered. Bear spray kicks *ss!! I'm just kidding. Bear spray is like tasering. It's cool to carry and watch, but if you want something to really leave you alone you put large sized holes in it until it stops bleeding.

What if all you crack shots out there miss?Or you just graze him?Now that bear is going to be be even more angry with your presence.The spray pattern of bear spray is what makes it so effective.A bears best sense is its nose, it gets a snoutful of bear spray and it will have enough of you.I live in British Columbia, lots of grizzly bears here, but truth be told you don't need to venture into grizzly country to find sasquatches.Gun up and roll heavy, south of the 49th parallel!