Weapon Of Choice

Rod

I'm telling you to stop hijacking this thread!!!

If you want to talk about the merits of the Nemo Omen and stay on topic awesome!

Here I'll help.....

https://nemoarms.com

Discuss!

When it's YOU that initiates something off topic - then when I respond to your off-topic statement - that's called hijacking the thread?

In my second paragraph, I was on topic. 

SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT -  The Glock 10mm is better than most, but I've seen photographs in articles addressing crack even in the Glock.  It seems most cracks in the slides and frames in battery are caused by manufacturers using a firearm specifically designed for the 9mm, and then machining out that frame to make a 'cheap' 10mm, and the lesser frame and slide are overstressed by the hotter cartridge.

BUT - if it's a 10mm you want, the Glock is likely one of the best ones to have.

The 10mm is not the equivalent of a .41 magnum, and really, not even close.  The case of the 10mm holds over a third less volume in powder, closer to half, and that of course is indicative of the power difference.

You can wring out about a maximum of 1150 fps with a 200 grain bullet in a 10mm, but with a .41 magnum, you can wring out about a maximum of 1400 fps with a 210 grain bullet. 

It's not even close.

So if its not close then what other well known pistol cartridge are you going to compare it to?

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=113

Buffalo bore 200 grn FMJ

Muzzle Velocity out of a Glock 20 is 1198.

If you went with a Glock 40 I'd bet you'd break 1300 fps.

Hickok 45 with a review;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGrpePCYeI

Edited by norseman

You do that.

That pistol will come apart in no time.

Oh.  That's right.  Your buddy likely shared your mindset on hot rounds.

So you already know that.

Know what? I have no idea what he was shooting.... PM Rex.

I shoot Buffalo bore and HSM cartridges in my Guide gun and Ruger blackhawk. Never had a problem.

Edited by norseman

SWWASASQUATCH - I assume that your desire to carry a pistol - even the 10mm was for purposes of your safety.

Do keep YOUR safety in mind when you make a selection.  You want reliability, quality, dependability, and enough to do the job. 

I've just heard too many stories about the problems with 10mm's coming apart - and they weren't even likely shooting hot rounds.  The .40 pretty much came into use more as the FBI wanted the 10mm ammunition loaded DOWN, down to the point that the ballistics were just about what the .40 would provide.

The 10mm has had a lot of stories told about it, most of them untrue - even picked up the nickname of "The Pistol Even the FBI Couldn't Tame.

Are you for sure you want an automatic?

Nutnfancy Buffalo bore review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M-DPyQxHDDA

I shoot a revolver for the same reason I shoot a lever, its all steel and utterly reliable. Yes the old designs do not have as much magazine capacity. But they go bang when you pull the trigger. And Im not worried about gaining fire superiority with a Grizzly bear so I can pin him down and my battle buddies can flank and finish him. I'm usually by myself and I.....in heavy cover realistically have less than 100 ft to STOP that Bear before I'm on the ground being shredded by a wood chipper. Six shots is about as good as it gets.

In the video Nutnfancy talks about jamming with the Glock 20 from a previous range day. He blamed it on his hold. Dunno.

All stuff you gotta decide for yourself SW.

We keep flipping back to bear hunting.

I'm not going bear hunting.  Anyone else?

This 1200 fps ammo for 10mm generates 639 foot pounds of energy.

The .41 magnum 210 grain bullet loaded by Underwood, puts out 1135 foot pounds of energy.  That 178% more energy.

Some may say that's close.  Not me.

Bear DEFENSE is the question posed by SW.....

If it was me I would move on to the 44 mag and be done with it. And THAT is not close.

I guess SW it would be accurate to say that the 10 mm is somewhere between the performance of the 41 mag and a 357 mag.

The only other helpful tidbit I can help you with SW is that the Danish military issues the Glock 20 in Greenland for polar bear defense.

Edited by norseman

Bear DEFENSE is the question posed by SW.....

If it was me I would move on to the 44 mag and be done with it. And THAT is not close.

I agree.

To reduce recoil, if that's a problem, maybe consider 200 or so grain bullets.

Or in a revolver you could even load up 44 special.

I'm a single action guy, I own blackhawks and vaqueros. But for most people I would recommend a SW or redhawk double action revolver.

And for that matter, they are starting to load up 45 long colt too, so a guy could switch between plus p and mild very easily.

Sounds like NAWAC has some serious (body acquisition) competition.

I have two (late) uncles that were in condition black situations during WWII, one receiving two (2) purple hearts with the first for a day at the (Omaha) beach. Another, is a friend, retired (medical) USN SEAL.  These men are/were among the most humble and unpretentious individuals you'd ever have the good fortune to meet. They never bragged about anything done in the line of duty and rarely spoke of the overall events much less any details being rendered. I can only imagine the horror of war would make men that "been there, done that" become introspective and not prone to ostentatious display. 

I have also met individuals with a proclivity to unload their "sea stories" at the drop of a hat yet in most all instances, once the light of day was shone upon their background, were instead, "in the rear with the gear" and nowhere near the action.

• Upvote 1

Yuchi, I too, have relatives who served in WWII, and I still feel the best compromise for me is the .338 winmag.  One relative died on DDay with the 101st, and I like the firepower of the .338 winmag.  Another was with the 101st when they took Hitler's Eagle Nest and had some real souvenirs, and .338 winmag ammo is easy to get.  Most of those guys just came home and went about their business, but they didn't bring home any .338 winmags as they weren't developed yet.

I was approached multiple times to address special operations functions, to impart some tricks of the trade in combat, things not taught by the military, the same things we for whatever reason, we forget between wars.  Things that contribute to our high casualties in the early days of a conflict.  Simple things.  Learned and have to be relearned every stinking war.  The hard way.

Apparently, sharing lessons learned with younger soldiers somehow offends your sensitivities.  My ability to talk about a few things - specific principles and practices that have a lesson seem to irritate you.  Are you telling me that Special Ops folks don't knock on your door and want you to speak?  Huh.

I'm not sure why you have a weed up your ***, but I'd suggest you yank it out, sideways if you prefer, and get over it, and maybe consider a .338 winmag for your own use.  

Edited by FarArcher

Archer, quit while you're behind.

Doubt you can.

Is this considered an off topic post?

To drop in and post things lacking any correlation to the topics - are the indicators of an inferiority complex - in your case - completely justified.

So, how you like that .338 Win Mag?

Edited by FarArcher